Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Nov 26, 2007, 10:39 PM   #1

Any comments/recommendations on this lens? Starting at $20/free shipping, but doesn't end until 12/2.

Thanks, Patty (whose still reading up on all this)
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2007, 12:03 AM   #2

Some are made by Phoenix some by Cosina....I haven't seen anything really bad about them and there are some decent comments made about them. A 1:1 macro lens but I doubt the build quality is up to par with the Series 1 105mm macro lens. For a small price it should do alright. Have you tried a google search for it? Lots of articles there. I know you are looking at saving some money here but the good ones are going to start at 200 or so and go up from there.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 3:51 AM   #3

I've researched that lens ( it's a cosina lens rebranded by vivitar, phoenix etc, they are all the same ).

It has very good optical quality and filmsy construction, you just have to be careful and treat it well.

It is 1:2 macro natural, and with the included adapter goes to 1:1, but some says it makes quality lower.

Anyway it's considered very sharp and worth the money, I think it's a good buy up to 80-90 $. Over that I would get a modern one.
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 4:00 AM   #4

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Any comments/recommendations on this lens?* Starting at $20/free shipping, but doesn't end until 12/2.

Thanks, Patty (whose still reading up on all this)
Patty,
Take a look at this thread, it'll show you what that lens is capable of. ... Jack

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...121&forum_id=7

There's a good review here ...

http://www.dyxum.com/columns/article...cro_review.asp
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 6:32 AM   #5

Thanks for the info. It seems every time I do a search of a lens I just get all the ebay items or pages where people took photos with it just posting to share photos.I'll try to change my search parameters. Thanks for the links, Jack.

I was thinking from my original query on lenses the price would be closer to $50. Or, was that because this is a 100mm and it would be more? I'll go back and reread that after this. It was a lot of reading ago. I'm also doing a lot of reading up on GPS's and new cars. Too much going on right now.:-)

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 8:14 AM   #6

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info.* It seems every time I do a search of a lens I just get all the ebay items or pages where people took photos with it just posting to share photos.**I'll try to change my search parameters.* Thanks for the links, Jack.

I was thinking from my original query on lenses the price would be closer to $50.* Or, was that because this is a 100mm and it would be more?* I'll go back and reread that after this.* It was a lot of reading ago.* I'm also doing a lot of reading up on GPS's and new cars.* Too much going on right now.:-)

Patty
Your very welcome. Re. the review ... I don't agree with the comments made about manual focussing it's quite smooth, I don't find any abnormal friction with my particular lens. ... Jack

Edit ... after Landos comment below, I 'll add that mine is the manual focus model. I prefer to use manual anyway for macros.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 9:23 AM   #7

consider also that this lens exist in manual focus and autofocus version.

The autofocus sells for 130-140$ new.
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 5:40 PM   #8

Phoenix, Cosina, Vivitar are all the same lens. The optics are actually quite amazing for the $$$$. The lens is very capable of producing excellent results. The build quality is, however, a whole different story! The lens is built very cheaply, but do seem to hold up decently though. It is a great inexpensive macro lens that can produce excellent image quality.
digitaldevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 10:23 PM   #9

I had the AF Phoenix version of the lens. I really liked it, and didn't find any quality loss using the matched adaptor. The plastic is light weight- makes it easy to carry hiking but scratches relatively easily, and I thought the AF mechanism seemed flimsy (though it was still working fine when I passed on the lens to someone else, after buying the Viv Series One 105mm). In fact, it held its own sharpness-wise against the Viv 105. I would recommend it as an inexpensive first macro lens that will give you consistently good results. I don't think the AF was worth the extra cost, I rarely used it and would have been perfectly happy with the manual focus version.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 9:22 PM   #10

hey patty,
all the above is correct from what i've seen. this is a great inexpensive way to break into shooting macros. give it a try.. you may discover that macros are just too much trouble to shoot.. this is probably my best damsel after about a hundred.. and it's not even a 1:1 macro.

most think that you just go out and shoot close ups.. they soon find out different..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote