Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Nov 27, 2007, 7:34 PM   #1

I got my hands on an old M42 screw mount SMC Takumar 50mm f:1.4 lens. Seems to be in pretty nice condition and didn't cost me anything.

I read a bit through the forums about the available adapters and all the caveats. I've seen a couple of the Pentax made adapters for sale priced around $50 and others ones priced much lower. I think if I couldn't focus to infinity (as with the cheaper ones), I wouldn't really use it much. Is the General Brand one from B&H equivalent to the Pentax? Do they ever have it in stock?

I guess my question is would it be worth it to spend the money for the Pentax adapter? Is this lens worth investing that much money to make it work, or would I be better served applying my money towards something K-mount.

Remember, I'm a DSLR noob and don't know how well I'd take to having to set everything manually on the lens.

RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2007, 10:50 PM   #2

unless you collect, $50 is too much.

as far as the general brand at B&H, it's fine. it'll still let you retain infinity focus. it's probably a kalt or bower. i've got a kalt from them($18dlvd) and it works just as good as my asahi model altho it's a little harder to mount and unmount but i don't need the tool to do it with..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 10:58 PM   #3

Check Ebay for Roxen. That is where I got mine from for like $25 shipped or something. Yes, it allows infinity focus! The adapter is well worth it and opens up and entire line of excellent lenses!
digitaldevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 11:05 PM   #4

DD, MM, J, that's too much! hehe
Adorama and B&H are less for the same thing... from what i've seen and read from ??s asked at both places they only sell items that allow infinity focus
Old Nov 28, 2007, 3:17 AM   #5

Looks like I gota good deal on mine then - Genuine Pentax model, with the tool for £5

The only time I have got something from a shop for less money then you guys in ths states..

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 4:23 AM   #6

digitaldevo wrote:
Quote:
Check Ebay for Roxen. That is where I got mine from for like $25 shipped or something. Yes, it allows infinity focus! The adapter is well worth it and opens up and entire line of excellent lenses!
You'll have to be careful with Roxsen, they do sell both types. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 2:52 PM   #7

I use Kalt brand but mount them to the lens semi-permanently with Loc-tite. You have to remove the spring clip to use it this way. They work great as long as you don't accidently dismount them. They need a small groove cut in the lens base so the locking ppin can hold them on...I'll get around to this one day soon. B&H is where I buy mine. By doing it this way they become de-facto K mount lens...Infinity focus is achieved with all of them.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 3:11 PM   #8

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
Looks like I gota good deal on mine then - Genuine Pentax model, with the tool for £5

The only time I have got something from a shop for less money then you guys in ths states..

Dal
how about a pic of your 'original' ?? with the tool.

roy
Old Nov 29, 2007, 4:27 AM   #9

robar wrote:
Quote:
Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
Looks like I got*a good deal on mine then - Genuine Pentax model, with the tool for £5

Dal
how about a pic of your 'original' ?? with the tool.

roy
Hi Roy,
I already posted pics of both types in this thread. ... Hope this helps. ... Jack.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...56&forum_id=94
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 6:30 AM   #10

Cheers Jack

Mince looks like the first one you posted - infinity focussing etc.

Same tool as well.

Mine came in a bag with the instructions.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote