Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 11, 2007, 1:27 PM   #11

I've just tried the Tamron 18-250mm on my *isDS & although with a low winter sun, lighting conditions were not ideal, BUT I was really supprised at the amount of vignetting.

The DA 18-55mm suffers from this at the 18mm end BUT the Tamron exhibited it at focal lengths up to 130mm.

Maybe I got a bad one.

Anyone had any similar experiences 'cause based on that test, I will certainly steer clear of this lens.

Lens reviews at Photozone suggest that the optics of the 18-250mm are improved over the 18-200mm.

My experience is the opposite as I found little to no vignetting with 18-200mm.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 6:07 PM   #12

"I've just tried the Tamron 18-250mm on my *isDS & although with a low winter sun, lighting conditions were not ideal, BUT I was really supprised at the amount of vignetting."

There is vignetting in sky photos at 18mm with this lens as there would be with any lens at 18mm. This lens willnot produce picturesequal toa prime lensat any pointin it's range. The physics of light make that impossible. If you're looking for the best image quality at a particular focal length this isn't the lens to use. However, if you're looking forabove averageimage qualityin a super zoomthen this is your lens. I wouldn't make a decision based on one or two shots made in poor light at the camera store. I am very happy with my Tamron 18-250.

bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote