Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 5, 2007, 4:20 PM   #1

I just got my (first) DSLR today. It's a Samsung GX-1S. It comes with a standard 18-55mm D-Xenon lens. I intend to shoot some macros and maybe later on, might get a telephoto lens as well. I'm always looking at deals on Ebay, and some local ads for a used lens. Can anybody suggest a good inexpensive lens for macro and maybe a telephoto too.

Do antishake lenses exist for Pentax?

Thanks
Dolce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2007, 4:56 PM   #2

here's what you're looking for in a lens.
price, sharp, fast
those are your 3 choices, you get 2 picks

just about any of the macros will please you. that's what they were designed to do..

telephoto?? a takumar 300/4 is a pretty good inexpensive long tele.. it's screw mount but delivers excellent images.

no SR in pentax lenses. it's in the body now which makes that 30year old 300/4 stabilized..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 10:07 PM   #3

robar wrote
Quote:
telephoto?? a takumar 300/4 is a pretty good inexpensive long tele.. it's screw mount but delivers excellent images.

roy
What do you mean by screw mount? Does it need an adapter or something?
Old Dec 6, 2007, 4:05 AM   #4

Yes, you would need an adapter. There has been a lot of references to them on this site.
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2007, 6:51 AM   #5
TDN

Bear in mind that if you're going for a decent macro or telephoto lens, it won't be that cheap...

For a macro I'd recommend the manual focus Kiron/Vivitar/Lester Dine 105mm (this lens was made by all those manufacturers). It's a very sharp, fast macro lens. With macros AF is not important.

The AF Cosina 100mm 3.5 gets good ratings too.

For a telephoto I'd say either the Tamron 70-300mm Di LD or the Sigma APO DG 70-300mm. Both are excellent value for the money.

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2007, 3:12 PM   #6

No one seems to have answered this question
Do antishake lenses exist for Pentax?

Hi,
I'm not familiar with the Samsung GX-1S, but I believe they're virtually identical with equivalent Pentax models in which case antishake is built in to the camera body, so there is no need for antishake lenses. When I switch on my K100D if I have a fully auto lens mounted it sets antishake as required, if it's a manual lens I have to input lens size manually. Check your manual it should tell if you've got this feature. Hope this helps ... Jack.

Edit... I've just been checking reviews ..,. can't find the GX-1S, but note the GX-1l is rated as an entry level camera and doesn't appear to have anti shake, so what I say above may not apply. Sorry. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 2:12 AM   #7

Samsung GX-1S is a 99.9% of Pentax *ist DS2. From what I have read, It's a little bit superior than its sibling, GX-1L. And it retails more than 1L. GX-1L is 99.9% Pentax *ist DL.

Yes, it's an entry level camera. And my first DSLR, which I bought for less than C$300 brand new (local store). That's one of the reason I bought it (I did post fora topicon chosing 10MP camera on "What cameraShould IBuy" days ago). But then saw this Samsung GX-1S, at 50% off! It was really a bargain!

I have these lenses in mind ::

Vivitar 70-210mm :: On Ebay

Promaster 70-300mm :: Ebay

Cosina 100-300mm :: Ebay

Pentax DA 50-200 :: C$149 (local store)

Tokina 70-210mm::used

Sigma70-300mm :: Used

How much should I pay for those Tokinaor Sigma?

Old Dec 7, 2007, 2:12 AM   #8

Samsung GX-1S is a 99.9% of Pentax *ist DS2. From what I have read, It's a little bit superior than its sibling, GX-1L. And it retails more than 1L. GX-1L is 99.9% Pentax *ist DL.

Yes, it's an entry level camera. And my first DSLR, which I bought for less than C$300 brand new (local store). That's one of the reason I bought it (I did post fora topicon chosing 10MP camera on "What cameraShould IBuy" days ago). But then saw this Samsung GX-1S, at 50% off! It was really a bargain!

I have these lenses in mind ::

Vivitar 70-210mm :: On Ebay

Promaster 70-300mm :: Ebay

Cosina 100-300mm :: Ebay

Pentax DA 50-200 :: C$149 (local store)

Tokina 70-210mm::used

Sigma70-300mm :: Used

How much should I pay for those Tokinaor Sigma?

Oh yeah.... Does a good lens can change thequality of the Megapixels? Or I dunno what you call that.

Old Dec 7, 2007, 9:06 AM   #9

The DA 50-200 is a pretty good lens (though mine has a problem, it's unusual for that lens - it's normally a good, reasonably priced lens). But it's not a macro lens.

If you are looking at the Sigma 70-300, they make two versions of the lens. If you can afford it, get the APO version because it seems to be sharper and worth the extra cost.

For macro lenses, you can also look at the very inexpensive Phoenix/Cosina (marketed under several other names) 100mm 3.5 lens - I had one and it has good optics. It's build quality is a bit suspect, and the plastic is pretty light-weight but it takes really good pictures.

Vivitar doesn't actually make their lenses - they have others actually make them. So in general they can either be spectacular or not so good. I'm not familiar with their 70-210, though a few of their lenses also were made with a slightly different mount. They'll work with the dSLR cameras but require a little operation (they have a longer flange that needs to be cut off, as I recall). But that doesn't hold true across the board, so if you are buying used, make sure you look at the mount (or buy it anyway and search the net for instructions on how to modify, I understand it isn't difficult).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 9:37 AM   #10

what's the serial number and aperture range of the 70-210 ??
that will provide a lot of info.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote