Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 7, 2007, 9:37 PM   #1

This is what I won,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=129973291 my winning bid was about $120 (US). It does not look mint and I was afraid to ask too many online questions when I had also seen this

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Sigma-f-M42-4-500...QQcmdZViewItem

Is that the same beast? Cant say mine looks to be 'mint'. I will have to change the mount for my Pentax use.

Fingers are crossed and I will be sitting at the door waiting for the postman's knock!
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2007, 11:14 PM   #2

Hi John,

Wow! a 500mm f4 mirror! it's got to be huge, but for the money you paid, who cares about mint. It apparently is a T mount, so you should be able to find an adaptor to Pentax K. There won't be any exposure automation, but since it's a fixed aperture, that doesn't matter at all.

From what I can tell, it's the same lens as your second link, a Sigma XQ 500mm f4 mirror which was probably the only lens of its spec that I've ever seen evidence of.

SPLOSdb shows that one was sold in '04 for $765 USD, but it doesn't rate the lens as far as IQ, so you'll have to show us what it can do. I'm thinking that it'll be pretty good, with all the mirror lens caveats, of course.

Just to plant a seed. . . if you got an F 1.7x AFA, you'd have an auto focusing 850mm f6.3 -- very cool

OK I'm jealous now. . .:-)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 11:25 PM   #3

Scott, if I could find a 1.7 AFA I would sell the neighbours kid for medical experiments and do exactly what you say!:-)

I have a number of mirror lenses, a cheap Phoenix 500 f:8, a couple of Sigma 600 f8s (dont ask how I managed to end up with two of these :roll and a Sigma f=1000 F1:13.5. They have all been fun to use though the 1000mm practically requires me to pour concrete foundations for my tripod.

Yes, I thought it looked like a T mount too which I can easily borrow from the Phoenix otherwise I might need some lathe workto put a Kmount on where that (Minolta ?) mount is now, I hope if I do that I dont run into register distance issues.

Old Dec 12, 2007, 2:57 AM   #4

I got it home and searched in my stuff to find a T2 adapter. I tried it out on this wild animal from down the road, *ist DS ISO 400 1/4000 hand held, f=500mm F1:4, distance about 35 metres.

There are a few things that require attention with this lens which obviously has had a busy life though no obvious misuse and only a couple of chips in the paint, no scratches or fungus but there are some little chips on the edge of one mirror. The grease in the focus helical has turned to glue and the carry handle is about to fall off. The case looks like it has been on a few safaris! I made enquiries of the seller and found that the lens had been used by the Forest Service.

Excellent value for the money I think!:G

Old Dec 12, 2007, 11:34 AM   #5

Very good..and the Bokeh is not too bad either...Try it with some bright sky background and see how the Bokeh holds up! I've passed several similar ones up so I am interested. I had a Vivitar 400mm non-mirror lens lined up as the owner said the aperture was broken but he withdrew it and a Sigma 120-600 but it went above my price range...Quite a few Cat 500mm's out there used these days so I'm looking.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:25 PM   #6

Dawg, I have a few mirror lenses on my shelf as I keep seeing better ones to buy!:roll: There is my first one, a 500 f8 cheapie, two Sigma 600 f8 (dont ask how I come to have two of them :?) and a Sigma 1000 f13.5 and of course this new monster, the Sigma 500 f4. They all have the donut bokey and I dont think there is any way for that to be engineered out of the design.

I think I am going to like this one once it has some minor servicing to the sticky grease etc though I think I might buy one of those mobility scooters and mount it on that. :G Either that or go to the gym more!

Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:29 PM   #7

looks like you did fine. my first reaction was as scotts.. wow, a 500mm f4 mirror. i've never seen one before either. my only qualm about it would have been that it might not mount because of the flash.

roy
edit: how about a shot of it mounted on the camera??
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 2:55 PM   #8

I will get a shot of it with a camera attached, just didnt have the extra camera to hand last evening.

Roy, there is no problem with the flash as it does not mount up close because the focus mecanism sticks out the back. This in itself is another pain as only the finger tips can really reach the focus ring.:roll: I have seen other mirror lenses with a handle that extends to the outer diameter of the lens and I just might have to make one.

I have tried to find some history of this model but it is not easy. Google for 500mm Sigma Ultratelephoto brings up thousands of hits.

Old Dec 12, 2007, 3:20 PM   #9

I found this on Qianqian's Personal Wiki

Quote:
500mm[/b] f/4 Mirror[/b] Ultratel

Let's face it, a 500mm[/b] f/4 mirror[/b] is fast. This lens weighed six pounds, was 8 1/2 inches long, and nearly 6 1/4 inches in diameter. Practically automatic admission to cult status, right?

An internal focusing system limited close-focusing to an unremarkable 50 feet. But wait, Sigma[/b] supplied you with a extension tube just for this lens, taking you down to a stunning 10 feet closeup. Believe me, that's close for a 500mm[/b] lens!

Be sure to try and buy the matching 2X teleconverter, so you will have an equally fast and high performance 1000mm f/8 mirror[/b] option too.

Another good idea was a simple variable aperture system taken from amateur astronomers studying the moon. The moon is often so bright that you need a way to reduce the amount of light coming into your telescope. The trick used is a large cardboard cutout, over the front of the telescope, which acts to reduce the diameter of your mirror[/b] telescope's opening. That trick effectively reduces your telescope's aperture. The Sigma[/b] 500mm[/b] f/4 mirror[/b] lens comes with a special lens cap that has a removable inner section. Leaving the lens cap in place, but removing the inner section, cuts the mirror's[/b] aperture to f/5.6.

Like most mirrors, this Sigma[/b] 500mm[/b] mirror[/b] uses a T-mount for a purely mechanical mounting on virtually any camera body. Like most super fast mirrors, if you have to ask about the price, you can't afford it!

Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:14 PM   #10

Sounds more and more like you made a find in that one!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote