Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 9, 2007, 11:32 AM   #11

lesmore49 wrote:
Quote:
have been using my 25 year old, 35-105 A Macro Zoom.
And that's a real gem! I don't have one myself, but my brother-in-law has it and I must admit a trace of envy. Lenses do vary a lot in quality, so there is good reason to do your homework before you press the buy-button. This one is good for older pentax lenses: http://stans-photography.info/

There is no reason to buy new lenses only, a lot of the older stuff is as good as or better than the new. And if the previous owner has taken care of the lens, they don't wear or age.

My strongest advice would be to let your lens collection grow slowly. Don't buy a bunch of cheap zooms covering the same range. Find out what you would reallyuse, decide on a couple of high quality lenses from one or two manufacturers and save up money to buy one of them. I had a number of second-to-my-best lenses, but sold them off since they never got used.

Kjell
bilybianca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 1:12 PM   #12

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
lesmore49 wrote:
Quote:
have been using my 25 year old, 35-105 A Macro Zoom.
And that's a real gem! I don't have one myself, but my brother-in-law has it and I must admit a trace of envy.This lens is great, my all time favourite lens from 35 mm days. Lenses do vary a lot in quality, so there is good reason to do your homework before you press the buy-button. This one is good for older pentax lenses: http://stans-photography.info/

There is no reason to buy new lenses only, a lot of the older stuff is as good as or better than the new. And if the previous owner has taken care of the lens, they don't wear or age.

My strongest advice would be to let your lens collection grow slowly. Don't buy a bunch of cheap zooms covering the same range. Find out what you would reallyuse, decide on a couple of high quality lenses from one or two manufacturers and save up money to buy one of them. I had a number of second-to-my-best lenses, but sold them off since they never got used.

Kjell
Good advice. Early (early 70's) in my photo career.....I bought a 35mm and 90-230 mm Bushnell lens. They were terrible disappointments and I had bought them, primarily because they were about 1/3 rd cheaper than their Pentax (Takumar) competition, at the time. Biggest mistake I ever made. Ended up not using them much...always wishing I had bought top quality like Takumar. So I agree...don't go with a cheap lens...after all that's what will make the picture in the end.

Funny thing is, I have some Bushnell binocs...which aren't bad, but then again aren't in the same class as my Pentax binocs.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 7:30 PM   #13
TDN

Digital DanA, I wouldn't pass up on the 18-55mm kit lens. For the small price you pay for it together with the body it's a great starter lens.

That, or buy the 18-250mm in kit like roy suggested.

After that, you can browse the used market for more glass

Manual focus is very nice on Pentax aswell.

Some of my favourites:
  • Pentax-A 50mm f1.7[/*]
  • Kiron 105mm f2.8 macro[/*]
  • Jupiter-9 85mm f2[/*]
  • Sigma EX 28-70mm f2.8[/*]
  • etc. [/*]
Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 6:35 AM   #14

Yea,I remember experiencinga similar'joyful' dilemma some months ago: )

Well,I'dsuggest you consider the Sigma 17-70 also.You'll find both the17mm wideand 70mm tele endsperfectly usable! I found myself using the 70mm end more often than I thought ; )
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote