Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 8, 2007, 5:47 PM   #1

Soon I am going to buy a K10D body. What is the best lens to start with for general photography? Do I go for a prime lens, say a 50mm f2.8 or a zoom lens 18-55mm? I will be shooting everything from portraits to action to landscapes. I'm leaning toward the Pentax 50mm f2.8. What's your opinion?
Digital DanA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2007, 7:59 PM   #2

It sounds as though you do not have any other lenses so you should consider buying a package that includes a kit lens, not just the body.

Compare the prices and very often the price difference, makes the kit lens very cheap.

Usually this is an 18-55mm zoom of reasonable quality, making it a good walking around lens.

Then buy the superb Pentax 50mm f1.4 as well.

Phil
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 8:15 PM   #3

Lenses are quite individual things, some people take details and want macro and telephoto lenses while others like vistas and prefer wide angle lenses. Only you can decide which type of person you are.

My own personal opinion is that a newbie, especially one who isn't sure where they want to go with their photography, should get the kit lens (Pentax 18-55mm) first, usually in a kit with the camera, because it's a good little lens for the little you pay for it. After someone plays with that for a month they'll have a better idea of where its limitations are and will be able to make better decisions about what else (if anything) they might feel a need for.

An exception to that would be someone who already knows they want something longer than 55mm. I was one of those - I knew before I ever got my camera that I wanted a telephoto lens (I had a p&s camera that went to a 35mm filmequivalent of 180mm and I knew I wanted something longer than that). If you are one of those people, then buying the DA 18-55 and the DA 50-200 is a nice two lens combination and would cover most things relatively inexpensively.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 8:18 PM   #4

I would start with the kit lens-not great build quality but you can't beat the price. Next I would get the DA 40 2.8. This is a tremendous lens-a little more money than the 50 1.4 but IMHO well worth it. Losing one stop is not a big deal with the choice of ISO's. My other favorite is the DA 50-200-this is a really good value for the price. I also have a 16-45 which I hardly ever use-way too soft for my taste. Use these lenses on my K10D and DS.

This was taken with the 50-200 & DS
Attached Images

DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 11:20 PM   #5

DMJJR wrote:
Quote:
I would start with the kit lens-not great build quality but you can't beat the price. Next I would get the DA 40 2.8. This is a tremendous lens-a little more money than the 50 1.4 but IMHO well worth it. Losing one stop is not a big deal with the choice of ISO's. My other favorite is the DA 50-200-this is a really good value for the price. I also have a 16-45 which I hardly ever use-way too soft for my taste. Use these lenses on my K10D and DS.

i think i'd start with the 18-250. performs great from what i've seen and the range just about covers everything. use it for a couple of months and then go back and look at what MM range you are shooting at the most. that'll be your 1st prime and go from there..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 11:23 PM   #6

DMJJR wrote:
Quote:

ok,
i'm pi$$ed now. YOU stole my image.. it better never happen again or look out!!!

roy
yeah right
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:13 AM   #7

Took mine at the San Diego Zoo in September-just before all the fires.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 1:51 AM   #8

Either the 18-55 kit lens which I rather like for shooting the grandkids....or the 18-250 which will cost a bit more but does cover most of the territory of the focal lengths really needed...Word of caution here,,,, Lens buyer's addiction or LBA will sneak up on you....I was buying lens on Ebay before I even recieved my camera.....LOL Later on you can decide on the prime lens you want or need.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 10:03 AM   #9

I second all of the comments regarding the 18-55mm kit lens. While most manufacturers have used junk for their kit lens, Pentax has given us a good one, and it's a huge bargain when you buy it with the body. After that, the choice becomes yours.

I knew I wanted a long telephoto and I bought my K10d with a two-lens kit, the 18-55 and a Tamron 70-300mm. That combination gave me a very wide range with which to experiment and learn.

Other than those two, the ones I use most are, in order:

Pentax FA-50mm f1.4

Phoenix 100-400mm f5.6-6.7

Takumar 135mm f2.5

Sigma 28-200mm f4.0-5.6

That order changes with the season, and I expect it will change dramatically when I get my DA*50-135mm (can't wait for the UPS truck to run tomorrow, lol).

LBA is a common affliction of many of us on this board, but it's a good idea to get used to the camera with the more "general," and less expensive, lenses till you really get a handle on what you like to shoot. Of course there are some of us that will shoot anything that moves, and if it doesn't, grab a macro. :G
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 11:16 AM   #10

I'm in a similar situation as you. To begin with I'm an amateur / hobbyist for about 40 years. But although I have taken pictures for a long time, I'm certainly no expert , just someone who likes to take pictures.

I bought a new K10D about 3 weeks ago and have been using my 25 year old, 35-105 A Macro Zoom.

I want to get some lenses for it and I am trying to choose by first, thinking about the type of pictures I like to take and what lens would be the best for that particular interest.

Like most of us , budget is a consideration.

In my case I like to take the usual birthday/Xmas shots, people/ pet/ animal portraits and landscapes.

So for this I have decided to get the Pentax 16-45 Zoom lens as it will have a wide angle range to accommodate group shots, landscapes and then at the 45 mm range it should be fine to take 'portraits.

The kit 18-55 lens is supposed to be quite good and cheaper...so I had a choice there.

I aso like to take pictures of wild birds, animals, sometimes drag or sports racing cars. So, I need a telephoto prime or telephoto zoom.

I would like a lenes that would convert to a far reach of at least 400 to 450 mm...so I'm considering the Pentax FA 70-300 Zoom, or Pentax 18-250 Zoom, also I keep hearing that Pentax will be bringing out some exciting lenses in Jan. 2008. So I want to wait to see what they will be.

I also plan to continue using my old Pentax 35-105 lens which although quite ancient, is IMO, fabulous quality. Converted on digital it runs from about 57 mm to 160. It also has a macro feature...not really a macro 'macro' but close enough for many things. I also have an older bayonet mount Takumar (Pentax make) true macro, which I plan to dig out.

So with these three lens I cover the waterfront, as it were. 16-45...57- 160..70 - 300 (which converts to 450 or so). These would fit my needs. Your needs may be different.

I've considered older Pentax lenses, primes like a 300 or 400...but it's really a question of finding a good one. I'm a little concerned about buying one off ebay, sight unseen, although I do realize they have a good reputation.

Some may say I need to get lens with faster f stops (ie' 2.8 or so), but I'm a fair weather photographer and F 3.5. , 4, 5.6 at the widest opening are ok for me. Other's needs may be different.

So, consider your budget. Consider your picture interest. Plan accordingly would be my advice. Good luck. It's kind of an exciting process.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote