Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 14, 2007, 10:06 AM   #1

Thinking of putting some money away for one of these as I quite fancy trying some"quirky" photography.

Has anyone got any comments about this or the Tokina branded version?

Thanks
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2007, 1:37 PM   #2

Hi Tachikoma,

I bought one this last summer to fill a yawning gap for ultra-wide coverage in my lens arsenal. I chose it because I've never owned a FE, I too wanted the "quirky" perspective in addition to the ultra ultra wide perspective.

I'd also seen that, when defished, at 10mm, it actually covered an additional 30+ degrees over the DA 12-24 @ 12mm (which is a lot of extra FOV!). Since I'm not a really critical wide shooter (not looking for corner to corner sharpness or detail, just trying to get max visual impact), the defished images serve me well.

My first impressions and some examples were posted here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...798173#p798173

I'm still experimenting with it, and since I'm really a long telephoto type of person, there's a definite learning curve to seeing things in such a wide perspective.

Compared to what I'm used to, it's almost impossible to misfocus, and I'm still amazed at how close I can be to really large objects and still get everything in the frame. It also takes a while to learn how to frame a subject so it the image can be effectively defished to a rectilinear view if that is what's wanted.

Since there are few birds of real interest around here in the winter, and I can't take the cold for very long anyway, I'm going to try to concentrate on using my wide angle and macro stuff this winter, and leave the teles at home for the most part -- that will make for a much lighter bag if nothing else -- and maybe I'll even learn something. . . :-).

Bottom line, I like it -- it's sharp and fun to use, and I find the build quality very good. It still has noticeable distortion even at 17mm, but as long as you want the FE look, or can put up with defishing your shots in PP, it's a great lens, IMO (which is admittedly not a very informed one for this type of lens)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 4:22 PM   #3

Thanks!

$300... that thing costs over £300 ($600) here!

Ah well, nobody get's into DSLR's without thinking they are going to splash the cash every now and then! :lol:

Definitely top of my list for the new year... or maybe a ring flash...

Thanks again!
Old Dec 14, 2007, 10:36 PM   #4

I played with it for a little while - pictures are under the Pentax Rep Conversation thread in the main Pentax section. I liked it, it was easy to use and does seem to have good build quality. It's just not something I think I would use enough to justify it's purchase price. But it would be fun to have one, and I wouldn't hesitate to get one if I was looking for a fisheye zoom.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 12:35 AM   #5

Hi Tachikoma,

I've had mine for just a year now. I do like it a lot. Just like snostorm said, you can get reallllllllllly close to something and it will get it all into the frame. On the opposit end, taking landscapes is difficult in that it really pushes items in the distance - even further away than what one would suspect. I have been just too busy, however I have wanted to take mine up to the Grand Canyon with the idea that with something so massive surrounding you, that this lens could pull it all in.

As said, the FOW is very wide - 180 and you have to watch that your toes are not in the frame - yes its that wide. I was plesently pleased to find that yes there is distortion - but not as much as you would think - even at 10, and at 17 its well controlled (but still there).

When I first received it, I used it all day at a farm show my wife was at - my walking around lens, and I learned a lot that day about the lens and what works and what does not.

Its not for everyone, however I do like it. I specifically picked it up for museaum shots and other items - and I think that it will work out well.

Hope that helps......
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 4:44 AM   #6

Thanks all!