Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 15, 2007, 7:19 PM   #1

How well would a Pentax 645 lens work with a K10D??? I've seen some bargains out there for these lens and just wondered if it would be too much of a hassel using the medium format lens with a K10D. I don't mind going all manual as that is how I shoot most times anyway! The adapter costs almost as much as a good lens!!!! For instance would a 645 600mm A* f/5.6 manual lens be worth going after? I know they are bigger but the lens everyone here complain about being so big are on the small size to me anyway!! LOL I used to walk around all the time with a Samyang 100-500mm or an old Alpex 400mm stove pipe around my neck!!

Dawg

An example of what I am talking about...

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2007, 8:09 PM   #2

Hi Dawg,

All I know is that the 645 lenses are bigger than their 35mm K mount counterparts, but optically, they are at least as good considering that you'd be using only a very small central part of the image circle, so you're definitely going to be using the sweetest part of the "sweet spot". The A* 600/5.6 in K mount weighs in at about 7 lbs, so I'd say that the 645 model will definitely be a beast. You apparently already know that the adapter is neither common nor cheap.

The only person I've heard of who has done this is a member of another forum who reported very good results and no real problems with using the adapter. It's been quite a while, and I really didn't pay too much attention since I wasn't interested in going this way at the time.

If you do this, I'd be very curious to see some results. With Pentax apparently putting the 645D on the back burner, a lot of MF users who were holding out might get frustrated and start selling their premium lenses relatively inexpensively. . . This may be a way to acquire some premium fast long glass.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 10:57 PM   #3

This was taken with a Pentax 645 A* 300mm f/4 lens on my DS using the 645 to PK adapter. Just remember the longer lenses like the 600 are huge and impossible to use without a massive tripod.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 12:41 AM   #4

Thanks Scott and Tom....I am glad to hear and see that it is viable...Yes I know it has size and heft..So do I...LOL That is not a deterent to my using one. As to the Tripod I have an older Bogen 3011 and it can hold just about everything...Not a problem. There are starting to be some fairly good offers of these and I thought and you have stated the same that the center sweet spot would be used with these so I am glad my poor Red Neck brain had a good thought there....I don't know though.....I can't decide between going this route or going the BigMa way. Decisions decisions...Thanks again for the answers...This is the type of commradship I've grown to expect here...

Dawg
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:02 AM   #5

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Scott and Tom....I am glad to hear and see that it is viable...Yes I know it has size and heft..So do I...LOL¬* That is not a deterent to my using one. As to the Tripod I have an older Bogen 3011 and it can hold just about everything...Not a problem. There are starting to be some fairly good offers of these and I thought and you have stated the same that the center sweet spot would be used with these so I am glad my poor Red Neck brain had a good thought there....I don't know though.....I can't decide between going this route or going the BigMa way.¬* Decisions decisions...Thanks again for the answers...This is the type of commradship I've grown to expect here...
The 645 to K adapter is not cheap (over [email protected]). I had at one time searching for some * 645 lens around the time when D645 was very much in the roadmap . D645 did not materialise. But anyway the price of 645 * lens have all gone up to K* level already.
I remember the price of quality K or K* lens 3 yrs ago. This route is not quite feasible in price & quality. But if you have some 645 lens like Tom does, it is ok

Daniel

p.s. just edited. The adapter is at least $200 currently rather than $100 when I first looked at it 1 yr ago
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 11:16 AM   #6

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Scott and Tom....I am glad to hear and see that it is viable...Yes I know it has size and heft..So do I...LOL That is not a deterent to my using one. As to the Tripod I have an older Bogen 3011 and it can hold just about everything...Not a problem. There are starting to be some fairly good offers of these and I thought and you have stated the same that the center sweet spot would be used with these so I am glad my poor Red Neck brain had a good thought there....I don't know though.....I can't decide between going this route or going the BigMa way. Decisions decisions...Thanks again for the answers...This is the type of commradship I've grown to expect here...
The 645 to K adapter is not cheap (over [email protected]). I had at one time searching for some * 645 lens around the time when D645 was very much in the roadmap . D645 did not materialise. But anyway the price of 645 * lens have all gone up to K* level already.
I remember the price of quality K or K* lens 3 yrs ago. This route is not quite feasible in price & quality. But if you have some 645 lens like Tom does, it is ok

Daniel

p.s. just edited. The adapter is at least $200 currently rather than $100 when I first looked at it 1 yr ago
I saw an adapter for $189 US the other day and couldn't for the life of me figure why it is so expensive....Not that much to it...Scarcity is the only thing I can see as the reason for this....I've seen a few of these lens for about half what a K lens would go for at the same quality....They are getting scarcer as I type though...I just wanted to have some reassurance that if the price was right the lens would be usable...Seems that is true....Just need a cheaper adapter than what I've seen!

Dawg
Old Dec 16, 2007, 1:41 PM   #7

dawg,
with the metal working ability and the tools available to you i'll bet you could make an adapter.. all you need to know is the register distance and build it to spec.. just ask tom for a measurement on the depth of his adapter..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 3:40 PM   #8

robar wrote:
Quote:
dawg,
with the metal working ability and the tools available to you i'll bet you could make an adapter.. all you need to know is the register distance and build it to spec.. just ask tom for a measurement on the depth of his adapter..

roy
I swear you read my mind....At least my mail is safe....OR IS IT??????? LOL Probably take me 3 hr's to do it...Already have a tube with a K-mount on one side..Just have to change the depth and make a Female mount for the 645 to nest in!! I'll check that depth later if I decide to dive in... Thanks Roy!!

Dawg

Old Dec 16, 2007, 4:02 PM   #9

that's what i was thinking of. i mean you could just use a piece aluminum pipe with a male on one end and a female on the other. try calling around to camera stores and see if any have an old 645 parts cam.. i'll ck around here if you want me too.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 4:10 PM   #10

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
I swear you read my mind....At least my mail is safe....OR IS IT???????¬* LOL¬* Probably take me 3 hr's to do it...Already have a tube with a K-mount on one side..Just have to change the depth and make a Female mount for the 645 to nest in!!¬* I'll check that depth later if I decide to dive in...¬* Thanks Roy!!

Dawg
Dawg,

Geez the lens chop shop in action. Can I commission you to make one ? Email me at danielchtong at yahoo dot com with other little details.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote