Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 17, 2007, 2:38 AM   #1

Right now, I have these 3 lenses in mind. Well, I have a few more actually, but I could pick them up just before my holiday. I dunno which one to chose.

1: Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG MACR0 which was my first choice. (Brand new at C$180)

2: Sigma 24-135mm F2.8-4.5. Used, around C$250 (slightly negociable)

3: Sigma 17-35mm. Used, C$350 negociable.

A few questions here ::

I know that 70-300mm DG macro is a telephoto and macro lens; which I guess takes quite a good macro at 1:2.

What about the 24-135mm. Can it replace my standard 18-55 (packaged with my GX-1S); instead of having 2 lenses, I'll just keep the 24-135?

And 17-35mm wide zoom?

So, which one should I get? Do I get a good deal?

I'm taking some photos, experimenting here and there.... especially will need them for (cold winter) holiday. So, I'll be taking photos on (lotsa) buildings, portraits, maybe details on buildings.

Hmmm??

Thanks in advance

Dolce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:46 AM   #2

Dolce wrote
Quote:
Sigma 24-135mm F2.8-4.5. Used, around C$250 (slightly negociable)
I believe from what's been said in the main group some time ago, that there are compatibility problems between this lens & the Pentax body.

Some users have been lucky to get one that works whilst others have been less fortuneate.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 2:31 AM   #3

Thanks Intrepid...

Will exclude that lens then.
Dolce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 7:38 AM   #4

Hmm.. I was not aware of the compatibility issues with that lens, that bites, because it is a nice lens.. I shot with one when I shot Canon!

The Sigma 70-300mm lens is an awesome "bang for the buck" lens! Nice and light, cheap, decent optics, great 1:2 macro mode too!

Another option could be the Sigma 28-105mm f/2.8-f/4 Asph. lens. It is like ~$160US new and is actually not a bad lens at all!

The Sigma 17-35mm is OK, but it is honestly one of the few Sigma lenses I am not a huge fan of. I always thought it was over priced for the optic quality.

I really am not a huge fan of wide range zooms in the 28-200mm range, but the Tamron 28-200mm XR Di lens is actually not too shabby! I snagged a Promaster version (rebadged Tamron.. same exact lens) and am satisfied with it. It even does half decent close ups too. But I would vote for the 28-105mm f/2.8-f/4 Sigma first.
digitaldevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 4:47 PM   #5

Dolce wrote
Quote:
Sigma 24-135mm F2.8-4.5. Used, around C$250 (slightly negociable)
I and at least couple of other Pentax forum members have this lens and have used it withut any problems. It has good close-up performance, too. If it has any shortcomiengs, it is that it takes a 77mm filter due to its large aperture - it has a lot of glass and is heavy, but reasonably compact for its specifications. One member thought it hunted excessively, but I have had no such problem with it - any wide angle would have that problem if one were not careful in selecting the focus points to use. A lot of people like the Sigma tele-macro, too - either would be a good choice, depending on which end you need most - tele or wide.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 5:54 PM   #6

Dolce wrote
Quote:

2: Sigma 24-135mm F2.8-4.5. Used, around C$250 (slightly negociable)

it used to be < USD $100 through Cameta (new)... I do not think that it is worth
CAD $250 (used)... to get a decent sharpness you need to keep it 2 stops
above the min. aperture for the given focal length (so it is usable from 5.6+)

here is an example (*istDL -> ACR4.3.1, cropped/resized in CS3)

Attached Images

deejjjaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote