Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 18, 2007, 5:32 AM   #1

I am trying to build up a collection of good lenses for my K10D. There are many apparently good Nikon, Canon, Olympus, etc. lenses for sale. Is there any reasonable way to adapt these to the K base?

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2007, 7:15 AM   #2
TDN

For new AF lenses the answer is simple: no

For some older MF lenses you might be able to modify the lens mount so it fits on your camera, but note that this requires disassembly of the lens. (our forum member bigdawg can probably tell you more about that)

I wouldn't recommend it though, there are plenty of lenses that already fit on Pentax.

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 9:41 AM   #3

You can modify a Yashica Contax lens to work on your camera but it does require a small lathe and the partial disassembly of your lens...It is much easier and in the long run cheaper to just get a K mount lens and use that....or get a M42 screw mount lens and an adapter for it. I've modified several different brand lens for use on my Pentax cameras and the Yashica Contax lens is the only one that will work but you have to remove all the coupling arms and levers so in the end you wind up with a totally manual stop down lens . None of the other mounts will allow you to focus to infinity as the distance between the rear lens element and the camera's sensor is not right and cannot be corrected enough to give infinity focus...I know because I've done it...Trust me here Get a lens made to fit your camera and life will be easier.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:48 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. I'll stay with Pentax dedicated lenses.

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:14 AM   #5

Old Engineer wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'll stay with Pentax dedicated lenses.

Old Engineer
A good decision. I tried all kinds of ways to adapt some other lens and was frustrated at almost every turn...Some of the discontinued brand lens are so cheap right now that a possible conversion looks inviting...Just not possible.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote