Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 18, 2007, 6:22 AM   #1

For my K10D I now have the AF 18-55 kit lens, a 50mm f/1.4 M, a 28mm f/3.5 M, and an 85-210 f/4.5 M. (those are Pentax).Also a Vivitar 28mm 2.8 M. All these are in new condition regardless of some being 30 plus years old. All are SMC or multi-coated (Vivitar).

My usual subjects are candids of people, birds, flowers, animals, pets, architectural, and landscape. I am keen on sharply-detailed enlargements. I have never worked professionally, but do have 62 years experience, including B & W and color darkroom work, 35mm, SLR, P & S, and now DSLR for about a year.

I use Paint Shop Pro 6 or 10, Nero Photosnap, and Pentax Laboratory 3 for doctoring my photos.

I shoot in Jpeg and Raw (DNG), but usually find converting to doctored Raw is a waste of time. I do, however, like to convert to the highest grade of Tiff for enlargements, believing I get a little extra "Bounce" to the rersults.

I rarely use the on-board flash as I think it applies an artificial look to the photo. I much prefer using my Sunpak 383, hot-shoe mounted, and almost always use a difuser cap and shoot "bounced".

I have become well acclimated to the manual lenses, especially with the flashing "in-Focus" indicator availability. I sometimes even throw the little lever over to Manual when I have my AF lens in use.

I feel the need for something like a 28-200, 28-250, 28-300 for my general "walk-around" use. The "W-A" term is not for me what it is to others, for I can walk only haltingly, being handicapped. But I still find myself in various situations which seem to me to make a broad zoom capability important. I love my kit lens, but it simply won't do a lot of what I want. I can put up with the extra size and weight of a broad-range zoom. Any brand fitting or fitable to my K mount would be acceptable.

There are probably favored lenses in the spectrum I need. With the experience many of you have , your suggestions carry a lot of weight with me.

I would like suggestions from some of you out there that have enough experience to give me personal recomendations on what might become the most satisfactory choice, given my defined needs.

My wife says okay to buying myselkf a Christmas present from her. Even so, I do need to be frugal. Say under $250 new or good used.

Old Engineer

Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2007, 9:53 AM   #2

Looks like all you need right now is a good 70-300mm zoom lens...This will help a lot getting those bird photos but will still have enough wide angle at the lower zoom to allow some closeups...Also get one that is Macro capable. I have and use a Tamron 70-300 AF LD f/4-5.6 lens that does a great job. For truly sharp close ups and macros I have and use a Vivitar 105mm f/2.5 all manual dedicated macro lens that gives a true 1:1 macro. Either one of these should be within your price range new but somewhat cheaper used. Just my opinion but wait till others can chime in with theirs...Then make YOUR mind up on which way you wish to go.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 10:27 AM   #3

Hi,

For my walk around lens I have two. A pentax 28-70mm f4 and a sigma 28-200mm. I love both of them. I use them on my ist D.

The Pentax 28-70mm is a very lightweight lens. The sigma 28-200mm is heavier, But with the SR on the K10D you would have no problem with it at all.

I also have the sigma 70-300mm APO lens, But I don't use it as much as the other two.

Here is one shot with the 28-70mm Pentax.

Rudy
Attached Images

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 10:30 AM   #4

hi again,

Here is a shot with my 28-200mm Sigma. The Sigma has a so called macro function also.

Rudy
Attached Images

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote