Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 21, 2007, 11:32 AM   #11

sigma also makes an excellent135-400mm, a tad more expensive than the 70-300's, but something to consider if you need the extra reach.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 11:40 AM   #12

has anyone tried maybe using a flash unit in combination with a better beamer for indoor sports shots? might be the only way to get good indoor sporting shots with poor lighting without shelling out massive bucks for a fast telephoto lens.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 1:00 PM   #13

I've used flash before for indoor sports. Although not with a beamer. In general, I'm not sure the beamer would add much use - it's primary purpose is to extend the light. With indoor sports, it's rare that you would be so far away as to need the beamer's affects.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Here's the challenge with flash though for sports work:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"1. Is it allowed? In high schools by me it is allowed for wrestling, basketball, swimming after the start but it is not allowed for volleyball or gymnastics.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"2. Red eye / monster eye

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"3. Harsh shadows.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"4. Flash recycle time

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"5. Because of 4 you're almost limited to single shot rather than burst. Even with a battery pack if you take too many burst shots you can burn out the flash unit.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I mean there are scores of people who hate using flash for normal pictures because it's difficult to get a natural looking shot. Same is true for sports work. Serious pros will use strobe lights so all of the above can be mitigated.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"So, if the given sport/venue allows it - it is absolutely an alternative. It just means you as the photographer have more work to do and less shots to choose from. But it's better than no shots at all. You just want to be sure you have a powerful flash gun so you have a good guide number and quicker recycling times.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"For what it's worth I shoot wrestling with a flash because the shadows can just be too harsh and it's not a sport that requires burst shooting as much. But I'm also still using a 2.8 lens - so I'm not sure how focus would perform on say a 5.6 lens even with assist beam from a flash - sure it might be fine for one-shot but no idea how well continuous focus would perform on a slow lens relying on the assist beam (in fact, I'm now curious - if you're in continuous focus would the assist beam stay on the whole time?)
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 7:18 AM   #14

Hi all,
in a earlier post someone mentioned that Sigma was working on an updated 100-300 f4. Anyone have any news? that could be a suitable lens.

Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote