Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 19, 2007, 12:23 PM   #1

i was looking at this one. Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD AF Macroand almost bought it but then i chickened out and decided to ask more experienced people to see what experiences they have with it. if it not any good can you suggest an alternative???

i mainly just shot candid of my kids but they are getting into sports and i find that the kit 50-200, is just not cutting it anymore .

thank you .
julianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2007, 12:42 PM   #2

That is a good lens. Only problem I have seen with that lens is occasional purple fringing. An alternative would be the Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro lens. The downside to the Sigma lens is the chance of getting a bad copy of the lens.

Either way, they're both great lenses.

If you're wondering, I own the Sigma version, and love it.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 2:25 PM   #3

I own both a Tamron 70-300 and a Sigma 100-300 and would recommend either one. Not noticed much purple fringeing in either. I do like the Tamron's macro capability better. The sigma has a slightly quieter Auto focus motor.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 2:25 PM   #4

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 10:57 AM   #5

julianne wrote:
Quote:
i mainly just shot candid of my kids but they are getting into sports and i find that the kit 50-200, is just not cutting it anymore .

thank you .
What sports? And at what age level?

That will drive what lens is most appropriate. For example, a lens for U12 soccer is going to be completely different than a lens used for indoor basketball.

Also, what is it about the 50-200 that "isn't cutting it". Is it just that you find it too short? Or is there a quality issue?

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 11:06 AM   #6

The Tamron 70-300 is a great bang for the buck lens. It is one I take with me to the zoo all the time. The macro capability is 1:2 from 180-300mm. I don't do much with sports, but as long as you are shooting in daylight it should be great.

Here is an example at 300mm.
Attached Images

ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 11:20 AM   #7

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
julianne wrote:
Quote:

thank you .
What sports? And at what age level?

That will drive what lens is most appropriate. For example, a lens for U12 soccer is going to be completely different than a lens used for indoor basketball.

Also, what is it about the 50-200 that "isn't cutting it". Is it just that you find it too short? Or is there a quality issue?
thank you for your replies !!! mainly horse show indoor and out door and ice skating . the indoor horse shows i pretty much gave up on but i have had good luck for the ice skating.

and yes i find the 50-200 too short a lot of the time. especially at the outdoor horse shows

julianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 11:24 AM   #8

julianne wrote:
Quote:
thank you for your replies !!! mainly horse show indoor and out door and ice skating . the indoor horse shows i pretty much gave up on but i have had good luck for the ice skating.

and yes i find the 50-200 too short a lot of the time. especially at the outdoor horse shows
Help me out - I shoot a lot of sports but not horse shows. What are the dimensions of the area you need to 'cover' with your shooting. I.E. how far away from your shooting position will a rider be in an outdoor situation?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 11:31 AM   #9

Julianne, I love the Tamron 70-300, and it's excellent for outdoor sports, as long as it's daylight. It's just not fast enough for shooting sports under the lights or indoors. I have used it successfully indoors, but not with moving subjects. (see the "You wanna talk SR?" thread in the Pentax DSLR forum).

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 12:52 AM   #10

I think either the Sigma APO (there are two versions of the lens, the APO seems to be worth the extra money) or the Tamron would be a good lens for the outdoor horse shows. I tried to use my A300 f4 lens once at a horse show, but thought the prime was way too limiting, and the lens too long for anything except the far end of the ring. I'd like to try the DA*50-135 f2.8 at an indoor show some day and see if the extra speed would be good enough (I know the DA 50-200 is way too slow).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote