Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 19, 2007, 1:42 PM   #1

class="ProductName"Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DL Macro Super:: A few question on this lens. Is it autofocus? I went to a camera store recently, and the guy there told me that it's not autofocus. Then he showed me newer Sigma DG with APO. Which is 100 bucks more. But then I checked on net, the DL is an AF lens. So, I'm confused.

One more lens I could get for $160 + tax (new) is Sigma 70-300mm DG Macro (without APO). Is it any much different than the DL one? I do know that the APO one is sharper, but right now I'm thinking of getting cheaper lens.

The DL one, I could get under $100 used (+- $90). Is that a good deal?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Dolce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2007, 9:06 PM   #2

As far as I know, and certainly judging by the photo you posted, all of these Sigma lenses should be auto focus. The APO version is generally recommended as being worth the slightly higher price. However, as I recall, there is a forum member using the a non-APO version that turns in very good results. The more recent models also seem to be better than older copies. I have a Sigma 70-300mm APO Super II, which is a few years older than the DG, and the difference between my lens and some of the images I have seen posted is significant.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 9:51 PM   #3

Hi Dolce,

You're lucky in that apparently the shop has both of the lenses in stock. I'd ask to try them both, then compare the shots on your computer at home before deciding. At that point, you'd should be ablt to determine whether the performance or lack thereof is worth the differential in price. Shoot a series of shots at different focal lengths and apertures with each lens. A good tip is to take a shot of something totally different than your test subjects to separate the shots of one from the other.

From numerous posts from numerous users, the APO DG Macro Super is a good one. The DL is reported to be not as good, but I doubt that they've really been tested side by side by many, and there are always sample variations, so the better lens could well be the less highly regarded in this specific case.

I've never had the opportunity to compare lenses I've bought with either alternatives from other brands, or different samples of the same lens, so I've always had to shoot the dice and take what was offered at the time, pretty much on reputation alone. Most of the time, this works fine, but I have had a few relative dogs purchased this way.

Let us know how things turn out, and what you chose and why. There is nothing wrong with choosing the lesser of the two to save money. That's a significant consideration for anyone when buying any lens. You're the only one who has to live with your decision, so make it an informed one.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 9:15 AM   #4

I have a Sigma 100=300 DL lens and really enjoy it. Mine is an older version without the macro function but for the price I paid for it it really does well.I'm told the Apo Version is worth the extra money but I couldn't vouch for that...This is something that would be better done by you as even lens quality is a subjective and personal thing...Try both at the store if they will let you and compare..That is the best way to determine if the difference is worth the money...Oh yeah my DL is Auto Focus...

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 12:28 PM   #5

Thanks.

The store is right now having a sale on Lenses. They are all like $30 off. I will go there and try. Yes, the APO is much talked about nowadays. The sales guys I met at stores I went, pointed the APO one. Of course, it's 100 bux more, but they sid it's worth it.

But I dunno why one of the guys told me that the DL version is not autofocus, and told me that it's good only for 35mm camera. That's weird... more sales commission I guess.
Dolce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 1:50 PM   #6

Sounds like the 100$ difference talking even though there is some difference there. Made for Digital lenses are a little different as they are made to cover the sensor width and heigth instead of the film plane which is a different size..There is a slight difference in the image recorded from each...You or I might not notice it but some will. Thus you need to try them out to see the difference and determine if it matters enough to spend the extra money!

Dawg
Old Dec 22, 2007, 9:02 AM   #7

Hi,

I have the sigma APO version with a gold ring around the top of the lens. Mine is an older model but it has auto focus. I used to have the DL version of this lens and it was also an auto focus lens.

If you buy the DL version it will be more prone to produce CA in High contrast shots than the APO version.

I was lucky and got mine from KEH for around $100.00. I hope that the picture of the DL version is not the lens you are looking to buy, As it looks like a Nikon mount lens and also has no "A" on the apeture ring....

The decision is totally yours as to if you want to spend an extra hundred dollars or not.

A side note is that the DL version is a full frame (35mm) lens and the APO version that the salesman tolad you about is the newer one made fro digital cameras...

Me, I always prefer to buy lense that were made for 35mm film cameras..

Good Luck with your choice,

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 10:23 AM   #8

I too prefer the made for 35mm lenses Rudy!

Dawg