Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 22, 2007, 2:51 PM   #11

thanx DOG, i'll remember that.
i think crashman has that lens also. his looked real good.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 4:02 PM   #12

robar wrote:
Quote:
thanx DOG, i'll remember that.
i think crashman has that lens also. his looked real good.

roy
Yer welcome Oh Texican! Actually most posts on the 170-500 are just put downs of that lens and as stated above they are usually from N&C users,,,What I need to know and here I don't want any upset folks...Is what are the Cons of each lens...Yes I can look over all the preceding posts amd glean an I dea of some of each lens draw backs but I in my long ??? career?? I've had 32 jobs in my working life, I've had the opportunity to prepare many manufactured items for "Trade Shows" and know what putting your best foot forward is all about. Same with most folks and their cameras and lenses...We show all the good things but not always the bad. Looking at a photo here on this forum you cannot tell how many bad photos were taken to get the one good presentable one. Or how much had to be done to correct the photo to present it here...I did ask Jim if that photo is a crpped one not to just be asking a polite question but to understand whether or not is was processed a lot to get it to that state. Not that anyone and I do mean anyone is being dishonest in their praise of their lens but human nature makes us build up the positive aspects of anything we own or use as it is subconciously a reflection of us in our minds. I just want the TRUE SKINNY on these before I plunk down hard earned and saved money on one. I am guilty as well of doing the above almost not critical evaluation of my own lenses and would just like to discuss more than "It's A Good One Just Look At My Photos."
Let's say I'm going to take up hunting (any kind you might wish to think) And I've never owned a shotgun. Now I'm sitting on your front porch asking you which one of the thousands of different guns on the New and Used market I need to get for my new avocation. Are ya' just gonna' hold up a dead rabbit and say" got that with my Remington 1100 20 ga. yesterdy so ya' kin see it's a good 'un"? I might want to know why an Auto instead of a single shot or double barrel or why a 20 Ga. instead of a 16 or 12 ga. How mush kick does it have what Choke do you have on the barrel or Gee I'm looking to shoot birds instead of rabbits! Will it work for that? does it jam up on you? how well does it do in really cold weather. The dead rabbit will not tell me that. So you tell me to "go out back and dig and you'll find the carcasses of more creatures I've shot so you can see how it did on them! Kinda' like doing a past search for past posts....

I want to know from folks that have used one for a while how they are doing with it now. I plan on keeping one for a long time and need to hear how it's holding up and since the new has worn away do you feel the same about it as you did when you first got it. What are it's
deficiencies and warts and knots and shortcomings?? Why this lens instead of that lens...I don't make a lot of money and this buy as with the K10D itself is an important one for me as I do plan on keeping it as long as I have a DSLR. And that will be till they pry it from my cold dead fingers..LOL So I need real answers to my questions and not just a rehash of what I can read at the lens maker's website.. Give me the TRUE SKINNY here please!
Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 6:11 PM   #13

WOW bigdog,

I think I'm going to be as interested in the replies to your request as you are. With my limited experience I sure can't help, BUT I have seen some of thoes double barrell lens thingeys and I don't think they are any good:-)

Simon

Seasons Greetings
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 6:56 PM   #14

Dawg Here is the original just with a little levels and contrast adjusted> NO SHARPENING. It is at a 50% crop. I was about 35-40 feet away from where he landed. I have gotten some sharp shots and soft shots with it. I use it most for birds in my backyard and find it to work well for what I use it for. I would love to have a faster lens but for what I paid for the lens it served its purpose fine. You have to remember that these birds move alot and I caught this guy perfectly still. What are you going too be shooting with it? I will send some others when I get a minute.

Jim

Attached Images

87olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 7:27 PM   #15

50-500 example #1, no editing, no cropping, just resized.
Attached Images

ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 7:28 PM   #16

50-500 example #2, no editing, no cropping, just resized.
Attached Images

Old Dec 22, 2007, 7:29 PM   #17

50-500 example #3, no editing, no cropping, just resized.
Attached Images

Old Dec 22, 2007, 7:37 PM   #18

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
The dead rabbit will not tell me that. Dawg
ahhhh grasshopper,
you must first ingest the rabbit to achieve enlightenment..

KFmon
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 7:48 PM   #19

i have been more than pleased with my copy but i have only taken it out once and that was to the zoo last month. i had a hard time deciding between the 170-500 and the 50-500, but finally went with the 50-500. the deciding factor wasn't the image quality as to me they looked nearly identical, but the 10x zoom range was the most appealing aspect of it to me. very nice to go from 50mm to 500mm with a turn of the wrist. also the 170-500 did not have a zoom lock, both lenses will creep out, but the 50-500 has a zoom lock switch that will prevent the lens from extending when you have it pointed it downwards.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 8:09 PM   #20

I've had the 170-500 for around 2 years.
Pros- Carrys easy, good image quality, 500 is a bit soft but comes around with sharpening.

Cons- Zoom creep, has a tendancy to 'Fog' type flare when pointed toward the direction of the sun, mostly around water.

It's been salt sprayed and rained on and still works well.

Is it as sharp as my M*300......no, but I'd buy it again if I wear this one out.
thazooo is offline   Reply With Quote