Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 21, 2007, 1:39 PM   #1

Three lens I'm looking at as my next purchase before the spring bird migration takes place. I know some of you have the Sigma 50-500mm lens...
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...mp;navigator=3
I am curious if there are Pro's and con's for this one and the following
I just wonder if any know of these.....

http://www.sigma-photo.com/lenses/le...mp;navigator=3

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2007, 5:49 PM   #2

I don't have any experience with any of them. I just looked at the specs forlast one and its not offered in Pentax mount- besides,it makes Bigma look like a light-weight.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 7:27 PM   #3

Good observation Harriet. I had not noticed that. Thank you..As for size it really doesn't matter that much as most of my birding is done from my rocker on the front porch of my house. I'm not only a Big Dawg but a Lazy Dawg as well. LOL If I had to I'd put castors under the tripod...LOL Anyway..I want to keep it cheaper than that one. I really don't want to spend much over $1000.00 for one as I have to save my lunch money anyway! $1500.00 at the top end. These are just suggestions and I'm sure there are other alternatives anyway...400mm is the base as far as the large end of the zoom, with 500-600mm being the better ones I think...My feeders are a good 30-40 feet away and I would rather not have to crop too much, so the longer reach ones are better. Also They are shaded so a fast lens would be good too.

Dawg
Old Dec 21, 2007, 8:03 PM   #4

what about a smc or takumar 500mm f/4.5?
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 8:14 PM   #5

Not bad and I may wind up going prime! But for now I was hoping on a wide range zoom if one is out there that is quality! Some of those larege Tak's and FA's are on the expensive side too. I don't mind used but I would like to keep the Quality up there too as this one will be a keeper. I've seen some 400mm and 500mm SMC's and some Vivitars that are alright but I would rather have a wide range zoom with AF for what I will be doing. I had a Samyang 100-500mm lens but it was way to soft in the sharpness catagory, and a Alpex 400mm that was alright but wouldn't focus within 30 feet. Neither one suited me so I sold them. The Samyang had a macro function and focused at 19 feet but as I said it was soft all across the lens. I've heard that the Sigma 170-500 is also a soft lens and have about decided to cross it off the list.

Dawg
Old Dec 21, 2007, 8:37 PM   #6

ed,
if you are considering the 3rd option at just under 9 grand then i think you need to consider going to another manufacturer..

if roger's images don't say something to you then you need to get your head examined.

i think crash has the other lens and his posts seem to be very good with it.

not trying to PYO but there's been plenty of posts using the bigma to convince you..

the tak 500/4.5 delivers but it's not a zoom.. how about a tammy 300/2.8 and 2 TCs, a 1.4x and a 2x gives 300mm/2.8, 420mm/4, 600mm/5.6.. you also know this delivers..

happy holidays(gawd i hate this time of year),

roy

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 11:07 PM   #7

Dawg I have the 170-500mm Sigma.I got it for a great price last year. I've heard it being soft but prove it. I've gotten some real good shot with it. Here is one of them. Its alot cheaper than the 50-500.

Jim
Attached Images

87olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 12:40 AM   #8

That one certainly looks sharp to me Jim. I also have read a lot of customer reviews where it was not a popular lens. Is that full sized or cropped. I do like the cost versus the 50-500 but I also like the range of the 50-500...I'm waiting on some of the 50-500 owners to chime in...And thanks for giving me another option Jim...That's why I ask here as I don't think anyone would give me a bum steer and everyone treats the question seriously!

Dawg
Old Dec 22, 2007, 9:17 AM   #9

Hi Dawg,

What is really funny is that all of the people that I have read that complain about the softness of thes lenses discussed are mainly used on Canons and Nikons... But the same lenses on a Pentax work just fine with no problems... Go figure...

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 10:18 AM   #10

Thanks Rudy..Between you and Jim I'm looking more and more at the 170-500 right now...I'm covered in the up to 300mm range and just need mainly the 500...I'd like a 500+ but the 500 range will do most of what I want...the 800mm was mainly to get Roy's goat anyway!! LOL

Dawg