Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 22, 2007, 1:36 AM   #1

Got my new to me 50mm 1:1.4 lens today in the mail. Got it for $17.50 plus $9.95 shipping as it supposedly had a fungus problem.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:IT&ih=019

I looked at it and then moved the bottom lens elements to the rear with the focus and unscrewed the rear lens elements. Then I used Tinactin anti-fungal spray on a lens tissue to kill any fungus there and then used denatured alcohol to clean the Tinactin off and followed that with lens cleaning solution and an old T shirt. Voila...No more fungus if that's what it was..I suspect it was a smudge caused by someone removing the rear elements as they were not that tight..Can't wait to try it out...I know!! I keep going on the cheap with these Horrible lens on Ebay but every now and then you get a diamond in the rough!! LOL

Very sweet focus and aperture action on this one. Lens is slightly yellowed but not enough yet to cause any problems. I mean slightly yellowed.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2007, 1:40 PM   #2

there's only one lens in there that tends toward yellowing. set it outside on a piece of aluminum foil in the sunfor a month.. don't know why but from what i've read this will clear the lens.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 3:14 PM   #3

robar wrote:
Quote:
there's only one lens in there that tends toward yellowing. set it outside on a piece of aluminum foil in the sunfor a month.. don't know why but from what i've read this will clear the lens.

roy
I know some have a coating that is a little on the yellow side from the start and I know Rare Earth elements went in to some of the Tak lenses and coatings and as a result they turn even more yellow..This one is more towards that's the way it came from the manufacturers rather than it is turning yellow from age. But thanks tons for that info as that is the first I've heard of it, Some kind of chemical reaction or molecular bonding ??/ If it gets to the point I need to I'll try it and give you the results. Thanks again!!

Dawg
Old Dec 22, 2007, 10:50 PM   #4

Here is a rerely used method of getting the yellow tint completely out Pentax lenses that have radioactive rare-earth elements in the glass.

http://www.hermes.net.au/bayling/repair.html

I have only used the method Roy mentioned, and it works great.
Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2007, 4:10 AM   #5

Hello Folks!

Nice way...Tom!!!!

Dawg...it's very old one...please...stop looking for "free meal" items!!!

If you really want to be "Restored" as Roy say...send me here where exist a lot of Sunny days...I trust that I will return you sooner! In any case what will be your determination.... it's heart fully welcomed!:idea:

Peace,

Alex 007:|

Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2007, 5:28 AM   #6
TDN

If your wife happens to have one of those UV-tanning things, you could try using that too.

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2007, 9:05 AM   #7

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Here is a rerely used method of getting the yellow tint completely out Pentax lenses that have radioactive rare-earth elements in the glass.

http://www.hermes.net.au/bayling/repair.html

I have only used the method Roy mentioned, and it works great.
Tom
I read that method two years ago Tom and it still disturbs me today!!

Dawg
Old Dec 23, 2007, 9:12 AM   #8

Alex 007 wrote:
Quote:
Hello Folks!

Nice way...Tom!!!!

If you really want to be "Restored" as Roy say...send me here where exist a lot of Sunny days...I trust that I will return you sooner! In any case what will be your determination.... it's heart fully welcomed!:idea:

Peace,

It's not me Alex. It's the wife...She always is looking for that free meal. They invented the word cheap to discribe her. I once took her too a shopping mall and gave her 200 dollars and told her that was her Christmas present. She went into the mall and came back an hour later. I noticed she wasn't carrying a bag or packages, so I asked her if she just couldn't find anything there...She held up a pack of chewing gum and said she would put the rest on the bills. Now what do you do with a woman like that? LOL
I now buy her gifts from places she does not know so she can't return them and get the money back!! LOL Thanks for the offer my friend but Alabama in the Spring through Fall is plenty sunny!! LOL

Dawg
Old Dec 23, 2007, 9:14 AM   #9

TDN wrote:
Quote:
If your wife happens to have one of those UV-tanning things, you could try using that too.

Tom
The wife stays out of the sun saying the UV rays will age her skin...No suntanning apparatus here Tom! I'll get it done in the Spring!

Dawg

Old Dec 23, 2007, 9:53 PM   #10

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Alex 007 wrote:
Quote:
Hello Folks!

Nice way...Tom!!!!

Peace,

It's not me Alex. It's the wife...She always is looking for that free meal. They invented the word cheap to discribe her. I once took her too a shopping mall and gave her 200 dollars and told her that was her Christmas present. She went into the mall and came back an hour later. I noticed she wasn't carrying a bag or packages, so I asked her if she just couldn't find anything there...She held up a pack of chewing gum and said she would put the rest on the bills. Now what do you do with a woman like that? LOL
I now buy her gifts from places she does not know so she can't return them and get the money back!! LOL Thanks for the offer my friend but Alabama in the Spring through Fall is plenty sunny!! LOL

Dawg
Hi Buddy,

With my wife is a little bit differently...Photo gear "CONCERNS"...ONLY to me!. She spell money on cosmetics.

BTW...my K10D "Syndrome"..."reset himself automatically! Now NO more DOF checking! I don't take any more chances...enough that two days I was unable to sleep! :G

Have a nice Holiday & a lovely/prosperous 2008 year!

Cheers,

Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote