Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 22, 2007, 3:04 AM   #1

I have recently purchased a SMC-Pentax FA* 80-200mm f/2.8 ED IF lens.

It has a round button and a slider switch on the side of the lens barrel. I have been advised that this is something to do with aspect size of the subject at varying distances.

I have searched google for owners manuals etc and the Pentax website and can't seem to find anything on how to operate/set these controls.

Does anyone have this lens or another SMC-Pentax FA* lens with these sorts of controls that can either paste a copy of the manual or some detailed instructions on how to properly use them when the zoom control is moved from manual to Power Zoom?

Thanks

Crash.
Attached Images

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2007, 10:16 AM   #2

They operate the powerzoom functions, such as, zoom clip mode (set a focal length and then go back to that focal length by pushing the button), image tracking size mode (maintains the size of the subject by auto zooming no matter how close or far away the subject is), zoom effect mode (zooms automatically from wide angle to tele during the exposure for a special effect).

All of these functions work with the PZ-1P, but I am not sure if they all work with the K10D, although I do know the powerzoom does work. Go on ebay and buy a operating manual for the PZ-1P and all of this is explained in detail over 8 pages.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 1:54 PM   #3

crash,
the freaking UN must pay well.. how do i get on??

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 3:17 PM   #4

Sweet lens....Don't you want to adopt me and will everything to me on your demise??? If so just give me time to get the poison packed....

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 3:47 PM   #5

I am sure that I read somewhere that the buttons do not work on the K10D due to the K mount being a crippled version.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 6:51 PM   #6

You can also download the PZ-1P manual at:

http://www.pentaximaging.com/custome...re/show_manual

Tom
Old Dec 22, 2007, 7:54 PM   #7

hehehe, seems the guy I got my lens from has sold 6 of these lenses in the last two months, plus some other FA* SMC lenses. I think he has a hole in time that allows him to reach back and pluck these suckers off the shelf from 10 years ago.

I am sure these functions WILL work because when I have turned them on the lens does do some weird things like automatically adjusting the zoom and focus without me even touching the shutter release.

I will download the manual and have a play.

Old Dec 22, 2007, 8:40 PM   #8

Tom

Downloaded the PZ-1P manual and another on FA lenses. Not very well written, just says how to use it with the PZ-1P.

Can't follow the dirctions as it refers to setting the PZ camera to a certain setting that the K10D doesn't have.

Would have neen nice to have been able to use the full functions of the lens.

I will post on DPR as well, as I know of a few other over there that have the K10D and the 80-200mm lens, just in case there is a way of using it and I can't work it out.

Thanks for the help. I have book marked the link for furture reference for other manuals.

Crash
Old Dec 22, 2007, 9:16 PM   #9

Did a search on DPR, appararently the Power zoom function is the only thing it will do on the K10D.

The
other three are only available on the PZ camera.

1. Zoom Clip mode,
2. Image Size Tracking mode and
3. Auto Zoom effect mode.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 10:39 PM   #10

That is too bad because those features are actually pretty cool.

If you can pick up a PZ-1P, you should get one just to see how fast that lens really is, they are not bringing much on ebay now. I am playing more with film lately, mostly Provia and Velvia slide film and you really can't appreciate the FA* lenses until you use them on a PZ.

Tom