Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 24, 2007, 1:35 PM   #1

So, is the new Pentax 18-250 as good as the 18-55 and the 50-200 ???? If so, I would like to rethink my current lenses.

I initially picked up the K100D for traveling - as the big brother to my little canon sd500 ELPH - Then suddenly, we thought that my wife had a minor stroke, and she canceled everything. Then, the doctors figured out it was the mediciation she was on. Now with everything back to normal - after a year, she is now wanting to do some traveling.

If the 18-250 is as good as the 18-55 and the 50-200, then I can replace them both. I also have the 16-45 that I really like, but that can go too. (I did a comparison between the 16-45 and the 18-55 - with the kit lens being a tad better than the 16-45).

I am thinking that for traveling...
  • Pentax 10-17 FE (currently have)[/*]
  • Pentax 12-24 (close to almost having enough lunch money saved)[/*]
  • Pentax 18-250[/*]
Yes, I do like the wide end of things - and the FE provides some extra dimension that I do like in various circumstances. I picked up the 16-45 for increased quality over the kit - based on reviews and everything written. I still really like it, but essentially trading it for the 12-24. Also, I am trying to keep everything down to 4 lenses - especially for traveling.

I also have the Pentax 75-300 that is ok, but would like something a bit longer and a tad better. I have been thinking about the Tokina 80-400 but it has been discontinued in the Pentax mount and the old ones are real difficult to come by. I would really like to find a 200-400 or 500, but no one really makes them - however suggestions/ideas would be appreciated.

So is the 18-250 that good? Should I swap the 3 for the one?

Before I forget!! -
So to Everyone, please have a wonderful and safe Christmas. Drive, sled, ski, toboggan, and skate safely to GrandMa's house. Have some wonderful Hot Chocolate, EggNog, and Christmas Cheer! Happy Hanukkah! Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Santa is loading up the Sleigh for tonight's run!
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2007, 1:50 PM   #2

Can't answer about the 18-250.
I'm looking right now at the 170-500 Sigma

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...mp;navigator=3
and the 50-500 Sigma
With the 135-400 Sigma a close second!
These would give you the range you are looking for and not be too big a burden!!

Dawg

PS Glad to hear your wife is doing better. Hope you guys enjoy the travel!

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2007, 6:14 PM   #3

I bought a Sigma 135-400 recently and it is reasonably compact for 400mm lens.

It is still weighty and I allways use it with a monopod.

When keeping lenses to a minimum is an issue I combine it with my Sigma 18-125.

Phil

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2007, 9:01 PM   #4

philneast wrote:
Quote:
I bought a Sigma 135-400 recently and it is reasonably compact for 400mm lens.

It is still weighty and I allways use it with a monopod.

When keeping lenses to a minimum is an issue I combine it with my Sigma 18-125.

Phil

That would give the range alright!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:24 AM   #5

i think in your case i would add the DA 18-250. i use a tamron28-200 for my one size fits all travel lens and i wish it was a tad wider, but it really does work well for the flexibility it gives me. i too want to add a DA 12-24 to my camera bag but am holding off for now to see what january 24th brings.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 6:25 AM   #6

You don't need me to tell you that's it's how light you wish to travel & to what extent you're concerned about quality.

I own the DA 18-55mm kit lens & complement this with the DA 50-200mm but the latter seldom gets used as for a walk around, it not wide enough. Quality of these 2 lens is OK - not outstanding but OK for what I want.

Using the DA 18-55mm is also restricive when needing to quickly grab a shot of a bird or small animal that comes into view - long gone after the lens change.

I've looked at the Tamron 18-250mm & tried it out on the *istDS from the dealer & was slightly concerned about the level of vignetting.

My lad has this lens on his Canon Rebel & likes it - I tried it out on a walk about & did notice the aforementioned vignetting which at longer focal lengths is a tad unusual.

I haven't tried the Pentax 18-250mm as they are a tad rare in the UK (AND expensive) but I doubt that it would be any different to the Tamron given that they are the same beast.

If you are looking for a compact walk about solution, then weigh up the pros & cons and look at the Tamron which in the UK is over GB£150 cheaper.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 8:43 AM   #7

As a 18-250 Tamron owner I thought I would add to the thread.Although I have limited experience I did my research before my purchase.As a over all lens I give it a good score.I have not found vigneting a problen at all and have not noticed it.I have found it crisp and sharp and always seems to focus well even in low light.

I am sure there are primes and shorter range zooms may beat it here and there but for one do it all lens I have no regrets and if you do purcahase I think you will agree.

Larry
Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote