Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 26, 2007, 3:00 PM   #11

This must be my best haul ...

1. 400mm f6.3 prime

2. 300mm f5.6 prime

3. Tamron Adaptall 2 85-210mm f4.5 zoom complete with Pentax adaptor

4. Tamron adaptall 2 105mm f2.5 prime complete with Pentax
adaptor.

5. Hoya 35-105mm f3.5 zoom

6. Super-Paragon 28mm f2.8 prime

each lens in it's own leather case all for £54 (approx 104 USD) including shipping. I thought all my birthdays had come at once when I won this auction. ... Jack
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 4:57 PM   #12

John Hill wrote:
Quote:
But Roy, an 850mm 6.8 auto focus, surely I could get to stand in at least the second row of big guns down at the local wildlife reserve with that?
john,
i'm not talking about a TC. i mean for when the light is too brite. you can cut a smaller hole in a piece of cardboard, paint it black and mount it in front of the lens. it would act like a ND filter and give you a DOF boost to boot.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 5:32 PM   #13

Roy, it came with one of those! the leather lens cap has a 5.6 aperture that you get by opening a flap on the lens cap.

What I am considering is making a disk (cant remember the name) with three triangle cutouts which is an aid for precise focusing on light point objects, stars etc.

John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 7:53 PM   #14

I bought two lenses this year and love both of them - the DA*50-135 and the Vivitar Series One 105mm macro. It's hard to decide which one I would consider my best buy - think I'd have to go with the DA lens because I use it more.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 9:45 PM   #15

John Hill wrote:
Quote:
Roy, it came with one of those! the leather lens cap has a 5.6 aperture that you get by opening a flap on the lens cap.
What I am considering is making a disk (cant remember the name) with three triangle cutouts which is an aid for precise focusing on light point objects, stars etc.
guess great minds think alike....lol

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 2:12 AM   #16

Hi Tom,

Good thread --

I was able to get two premium SP Adaptall 2 lenses that I decided I wanted, and got each for a lot less than I had prepared myself to pay.

The SP 80-200 f2.8 LD was a "Bargain" grade lens from KEH for a little over $200. It was missing the bayonet hood, but otherwise in E+ shape, IMO, and it came with the optional tripod ring. The tripod mount also fits the FA*300 almost as if it was made for it, so it cures the most commonly mentioned complaint about that lens. I found a used metal 82mm hood that was perfect with a step down ring, and I was able to get both for $7. I'd still like an OEM bayonet hood for it, but it works, and the lens is sharp and fast.

The SP 180 f2.5 LD (IF) was an ebay auction that stated that there was internal fogging, which turned out to be a layer of dust on the outside of the back element -- a couple of light swipes with a microfiber cloth, and the optics were as clean as you can expect a well used lens to be. The body of the lens is good cosmetically at best with a lot of finish wear, but the glass is Ex, so I'm a happy guy buying it for about 1/3 of the going price (under $200).

I use both mostly with an F 1.7x AFA, so I really consider the zoom a 136-340 f4.8 and the prime a relatively small 306 f 4.3 -- both Auto Focus, of course.

It was a good, and relatively inexpensive year in LBA for me, at least.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 5:00 AM   #17
TDN

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
The SP 80-200 f2.8 LD was a "Bargain" grade lens from KEH for a little over $200. It was missing the bayonet hood, but otherwise in E+ shape, IMO, and it came with the optional tripod ring. The tripod mount also fits the FA*300 almost as if it was made for it, so it cures the most commonly mentioned complaint about that lens. I found a used metal 82mm hood that was perfect with a step down ring, and I was able to get both for $7. I'd still like an OEM bayonet hood for it, but it works, and the lens is sharp and fast.

Scott
Hey scott! That's going to be my next lens! I've been following a few on ebay recently.

Was doubting between that one and a used Sigma EX 70-200 2.8, but the sigma is too expensive for me, and I don't really need the AF anyway.

I'd be mostly using it for concerts as it is, and with a TC to replace my lemon Vivitar 400mm f5.6

If I can snag one for under 200 euros, I will.

I can't find any samples on pbase though, you think you could post some wide open shots?:|

Thanks,
Tom

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:13 AM   #18

Best lens buy in 2007 was aFA 43mm Limited from B&H. It quickly becamemy favorite lens.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 5:36 PM   #19

TDN wrote:
Quote:
If I can snag one for under 200 euros, I will.

I can't find any samples on pbase though, you think you could post some wide open shots?:|
Hi Tom,

Saw your post just in time to catch a few shots before the sun went down.

All are with the K10, SR set at 200mm shot at 200mm, wide open, Auto ISO, on some a very slight crop ( I have to be able to add just a little creative input:-)), then resize only. Notice the quality of the bokeh. . . it's rarely harsh with this lens.

I took a quick drive down to see if any of the usual suspects (sparrows) were hanging out at their winter bush, but they weren't too cooperative

The lens is a little soft at f2.8, but at f4 it's in prime sharpness territory, and the contrast is high enough to allow for good sharpening in PP without jumping through hoops. It also focuses down to less than 2 meters -- not macro close, but I like to shoot close a lot, and this is a significant feature for me.

My A*200/2.8 is clearly sharper at f2.8, but not by that much. This lens has an obvious optical advantage over my Tokina 80-200 f2.8 AT-X Pro AFII at all apertures, and I've had very few complaints from the results from the Tok. For people, the softness wide open has that "glowing" quality that soft focus lenses have, and tends to make people look good -- or at least better:lol:. The SP 80-200 handles better than the Tokina MF 80-200/2.8 AT-X SD as the weight is distributed more evenly and the Tok is significantly front heavy (I was able to play with the MF Tok for a while, and the unbalanced weight distribution was very evident as soon as you picked it up).

I doubt that you'd have any objections with this lens. It's obviously not as good as the FA*80-200, and it's probably close to the Sigma from what I've seen, but I don't think that there are any really serious competitors when you consider the price you can get one for.

Try to get the hood and tripod collar if you can, but the lens is the important part.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 6:13 PM   #20
TDN

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
The lens is a little soft at f2.8, but at f4 it's in prime sharpness territory, and the contrast is high enough to allow for good sharpening in PP without jumping through hoops. It also focuses down to less than 2 meters -- not macro close, but I like to shoot close a lot, and this is a significant feature for me.

Scott
Thanks a million Scott!

There's no better way to know about a lens' qualities than hearing it from someone who actually uses it

Sounds good!

2 meters is excellent, since that's usually how far I am from the artists at concerts (what I'm going to use this lens for)
A press-pass has its advantages

I see some mild CA, but that's no problem since I will be using it primarily in lower light situations. Sharpness looks acceptable, just throw some USM over that and it's perfect. (looks similar to my Sigma EX 28-70mm 2.8, which I got these images from)

I'll let you know when I buy one!

Thanks again,

Tom

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote