Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 25, 2007, 1:39 PM   #1
TDN

Since we're doing end-of-the-year lists anyway, which was your best lens buy in 2007?

It can be the best quality lens you bought, or the biggest bargain...

For me it was the Jupiter-9 85mm f2 russian lens.

http://m42.artlimited.net/lens_detail.php?lid=89

http://www.mflenses.com/jupiter-9-85...-review-5.html

This lens is just the right focal length for me, and gives a very special kind of DOF, which I just love.
Esp. for black & white it's perfect.

It's only available in M42 mount, not K.

This one didn't make my best 3 for Bigdawg's post, but it sure shows the DOFof this lens:

Post yours!

greets,
Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2007, 2:09 PM   #2

The best of all was the K10D and the Kit lens...after saving for over a year I finally got it and the Kit lens...I don't think there is anything else I bought for the whole year that has given me more pleasure. I've gone through a lot of lens this year but the best keepers have all come with the Kit lens....Next in line would be my SMC-M 50mm f/2 from my old K1000 camera....Both being kit lens you'd think cheap and worthless. But they (Pentax ) did it right the first time with these lowly lens!

Dawg
Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 2:22 PM   #3

Mine has to have been the Sigma 500mm f1:4 mirror lens I got recently..

..... though I still have some work to get it how I would like, so far I have repaired the case which really was falling apart, I had an expert open it up and secure the loose handle that was threatening to come apart and drop it internal fixings onto the mirror, he also cleaned the sticky grease out of the focuser.

Now I find two tiny screws that were the drive for the focus have worked loose in their holes and these screws wobbling around caused backlash which made accurate focussing a most frustrating affair. The guy who cleaned it told me about them but he is not equipped to fix it and I am not sure I am either so maybe I will have to find an old style clockmaker to help me there.

But it is rather fun!

John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 4:02 PM   #4

this is an easy one.. for me it was getting the tamron 300/2.8

and then getting the matched 140f, 1.4x and 014f, 2x and the rare 200f,2x teleconverters to go with it.. the PKA adaptall mount for these was also nice to get. considering i got all of it for under $350usd i feel great.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 4:16 PM   #5

No doubt at all: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80

After this I ended up with an 1.7X AF Converter, an FA 28 mm f 2.8, anF 70-210 mm f4-5.6, a usable little tripod, all forfor free — and a little ~60 USD profit above that.

So if someone wants to give me a pristineF* 300 mm 4.5 and a hundred bucks I justmight consider the offer. :lol:

Kjell
bilybianca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 6:29 PM   #6

Kjell, I tried to contact Scandanavia to order an AF converter but no response but if perchance you, or anyone else, has one they would like to sell I would be delighted to hear from you!:G
Old Dec 25, 2007, 7:05 PM   #7

john,
for that monster f4 do you know that you can make it an f8?? actually any f-stop you want it to be be above f4..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 8:20 PM   #8

But Roy, an 850mm 6.8 auto focus, surely I could get to stand in at least the second row of big guns down at the local wildlife reserve with that?
Old Dec 25, 2007, 10:33 PM   #9

Definitely not an LBA fix

I did only acquire one zoom the whole yr- a Sigma 24-60mmF2.8. Although no match to my 3 prime lens Zenitar 16mm fa28mm & F50mmF1.7, it has held its ground as a convenient alternative.

Its low light performance is ok but not earth shaking

Low light wide open at F2.8

Low light performance at F3.2

I am still looking for either a Sigma 70-200mmF2.8 or its Tamron counterpart which was announced in March already. Could be out in the market shortly. I hope.

After the 2nd zoom, I may opt for replacing my prime lens set up.

Also it seems a new DA* 200F2.8 will be out in early Jan. That is something that I have been looking for sometime

Daniel , Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:55 PM   #10

Ever in the mood to achieve further focal length reach, I was lucky enough to snag a Tokina AT-X 400mm f/5.6 SD. It's proving a difficult lens to work with, but the extra reach is very handy for surfer shots:

That is my last LBA fix for a while, at least until I snag a career position...

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote