Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 26, 2007, 2:25 PM   #1

I received a Pentax 16-45 zoom lens from my wife for Xmas.
I want to put a clear filter on that would be on at all times...during day, night, indoors, outdoors photography and I want to use the Pentax supplied lens hood for the lens.

I want to buy as good a quality as I can afford as I don't want to put something over the lens that will take away from the quality of the lens I bought.

Any recommendations ?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2007, 6:50 PM   #2

I'm not a huge fan of putting either a UV filter (what I've usually used) or a skylight filter on a lens but can see reasons for it. The only time I bought a relatively cheap, poor quality filter, the results were horrible - flare, ghosting etc. I've had reasonable luck with most Hoya filters I've tried (back in my film days), and B+W filters are what my camera store recommends (I'm seriously considering buying one of their circular polarizers). I didn't like the one Tiffen filter I tried.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 7:01 PM   #3

Pay the extra bucks for something like a multicoated Hoya. I never noticed ghosting or filter flare in over 25 years of 35mm SLRs but with the Pentax dSLRs I do see definite examples of it. Here is an example I shot to demonstrate, this was a Tiffen filter on the kit lens, shot at 43mm with a *istDS.

Ira
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 7:13 PM   #4

For a clear leave on all the time lens cover filter get the above recommended Coated Hoya or B+W brands...They are among the very best! No guarantee they won't ghost or flair a little especially with a wide angle lens but the chances will be reduced with a good quality coated one!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 9:18 AM   #5

I've gone away from using UV filters and just shoot without one for most occassions. The rare time I am shooting when it isin dusty conditionsI will put one back on.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 5:35 AM   #6

I bought one of the new Hoya Digital Pro filters & can honestly say that IMHO they are a total waste of money.

Flare reduction compared with a standard filter whilst was reduced but wasn't that fantastic & cleaning salt spray etc is a pain in the rear end leaving the filter smeared.

Stick a standard Hoya & remove in instances where flare is a problem.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 1:58 PM   #7

B&W, Schneider, Heliopan, & Formatt all make outstanding quality filters using Zeiss Water White Schott glass..

Formatt's Multi-Coated Hi-Def (high definition) Clear UV Filters are the most expensive of the 4 although not by much..

They are designed for high definition cameras, both motion picture & still..

Some prices are: 58mm--$84.00; 67mm, 77mm--$95.00; 82mm--$133.00

Check them all out at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Bruce
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 2:00 PM   #8

Sorry about the double post..

My computer was stuck on the send cycle, & after 90 seconds or so I tried to escape out of it. Don't really understand what happened..

Bruce
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 4:10 PM   #9

I recieved a 67 mm Hoya UV filter today. Sealed original case saying: Hoya High Quality UV.

On the back, with small letters, the following is printed: Made by Tokina Co., Ltd:blah:

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:37 PM   #10

Thanks for the advice. I bought a B + W UV. It was that or a Hoya. Either one would of been great.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote