Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 27, 2007, 11:27 PM   #1

Anyone know if that is in the works? be nice if they made a mount so we could use the HSM focus on our K10D's

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2007, 12:04 AM   #2

Sorry if this is off topic here but.... I saw a sigma HSM lens and I was just wondering if they work on the K10? I thought it was just for Nikons for some reason.
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 1:13 AM   #3

Nikons, Canons and Sigmas...I was wondering if anyone has heard any rumors of a Pentax HSM mount!

Dawg
Old Dec 28, 2007, 3:06 AM   #4
TDN

Rumours enough...an actual statement or date from Sigma hasn't been released (yet).

A lot of people are waiting on a 70-200 2.8 HSM aswell...

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 6:04 AM   #5

Sadly, I'm not holding my breath on Sigma's manufacture of any lens to fit a Pentax. I went to their website and checked each of the lenses designated as "New" in the Sigma line. Not a single one was available in a Pentax mount. Does that suggest that Sigma is turning its back on Pentax owners? I sincerely hope not.

Edit: There was one product announcement this month from Sigma that did include Pentax. That was the new EF 530 DG Flash unit, so they haven't totally forgotten that we exist.

Paul

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 10:20 AM   #6

TDN wrote:
Quote:
Rumours enough...an actual statement or date from Sigma hasn't been released (yet).

A lot of people are waiting on a 70-200 2.8 HSM aswell...

Tom
Kinda what I'm seeing...Might need to send a note or two to Sigma and see if they are listening....Pentax ain't listening about longer lens so I guess Sigma is doing at least as much as Pentax to offer more lens foir us!

Dawg
Old Dec 29, 2007, 10:22 AM   #7

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Sadly, I'm not holding my breath on Sigma's manufacture of any lens to fit a Pentax. I went to their website and checked each of the lenses designated as "New" in the Sigma line. Not a single one was available in a Pentax mount. Does that suggest that Sigma is turning its back on Pentax owners? I sincerely hope not.

Edit: There was one product announcement this month from Sigma that did include Pentax. That was the new EF 530 DG Flash unit, so they haven't totally forgotten that we exist.

Paul
I don't think they have forgotten us but are just waiting to tool up for the production...I can't see why they wouldn't eventually give us a mount for the HSM...There's Gold in them thar hills!!

Dawg

Old Dec 29, 2007, 10:54 PM   #8

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Sadly, I'm not holding my breath on Sigma's manufacture of any lens to fit a Pentax.* I went to their website and checked each of the lenses designated as "New" in the Sigma line.* Not a single one was available in a Pentax mount.* Does that suggest that Sigma is turning its back on Pentax owners?* I sincerely hope not.

Edit:* There was one product announcement this month from Sigma that did include Pentax.* That was the new EF 530 DG Flash unit, so they haven't totally forgotten that we exist.

Paul
I don't think they have forgotten us but are just waiting to tool up for the production...I can't see why they wouldn't eventually give us a mount for the HSM...There's Gold in them thar hills!!

Dawg

Sigma, and the other 3rd party lens mfgs have a significant dilemna on their hands with Pentax. Do they commit to making dual AF drive lenses like the DA*s, so they can accomodate all Pentax DSLR users, but make their lenses for Pentax more expensive compared to what they offer for C and N? Do they commit to SDM compatible lenses only, leaving the D series and K100 users behind? Do they offer only screw drive lenses which work with all the current and past Pentax DSLRs, and take the chance that Pentax (now with the Hoya influence) might abandon the screw drive for SDM only lenses sometime in the future?

The only safe bet is to impliment the dual AF system approach, including all Pentax users, knowing that the market might bear the extra expense, as it has with the desireable discontinued Pentax lenses.

But this willingness to spend more has only proved true for current Pentax users. More expensive 3rd party lenses than for the competition might be a turn off for the growth market -- new DSLR adopters, who might just look at the bottom line of the initial purchase, and not take into consideration the overall cost advantage of in-body SR when considering a DSLR system (and the inevitable LBA :-) ).

Tokina and Tamron have also been slow to introduce new lenses for Pentax, and have yet to address the SDM issue. They are probably in the same limbo, watching what Pentax will do in their new generation of DSLR bodies as an indication of what direction to take.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 1:09 PM   #9

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:

Paul

Dawg

Sigma, and the other 3rd party lens mfgs have a significant dilemna on their hands with Pentax. Do they commit to making dual AF drive lenses like the DA*s, so they can accomodate all Pentax DSLR users, but make their lenses for Pentax more expensive compared to what they offer for C and N? Do they commit to SDM compatible lenses only, leaving the D series and K100 users behind? Do they offer only screw drive lenses which work with all the current and past Pentax DSLRs, and take the chance that Pentax (now with the Hoya influence) might abandon the screw drive for SDM only lenses sometime in the future?

The only safe bet is to impliment the dual AF system approach, including all Pentax users, knowing that the market might bear the extra expense, as it has with the desireable discontinued Pentax lenses.

But this willingness to spend more has only proved true for current Pentax users. More expensive 3rd party lenses than for the competition might be a turn off for the growth market -- new DSLR adopters, who might just look at the bottom line of the initial purchase, and not take into consideration the overall cost advantage of in-body SR when considering a DSLR system (and the inevitable LBA :-) ).

Tokina and Tamron have also been slow to introduce new lenses for Pentax, and have yet to address the SDM issue. They are probably in the same limbo, watching what Pentax will do in their new generation of DSLR bodies as an indication of what direction to take.

Scott
Now that makes sense Scott!

Dawg