Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 27, 2007, 11:27 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

Anyone know if that is in the works? be nice if they made a mount so we could use the HSM focus on our K10D's

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2007, 12:04 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
fisheye4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 173
Default

Sorry if this is off topic here but.... I saw a sigma HSM lens and I was just wondering if they work on the K10? I thought it was just for Nikons for some reason.
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 1:13 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

Nikons, Canons and Sigmas...I was wondering if anyone has heard any rumors of a Pentax HSM mount!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 3:06 AM   #4
TDN
Senior Member
 
TDN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,288
Default

Rumours enough...an actual statement or date from Sigma hasn't been released (yet).

A lot of people are waiting on a 70-200 2.8 HSM aswell...

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 6:04 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Trojansoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 3,724
Default

Sadly, I'm not holding my breath on Sigma's manufacture of any lens to fit a Pentax. I went to their website and checked each of the lenses designated as "New" in the Sigma line. Not a single one was available in a Pentax mount. Does that suggest that Sigma is turning its back on Pentax owners? I sincerely hope not.

Edit: There was one product announcement this month from Sigma that did include Pentax. That was the new EF 530 DG Flash unit, so they haven't totally forgotten that we exist.


Paul

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 10:20 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

TDN wrote:
Quote:
Rumours enough...an actual statement or date from Sigma hasn't been released (yet).

A lot of people are waiting on a 70-200 2.8 HSM aswell...

Tom
Kinda what I'm seeing...Might need to send a note or two to Sigma and see if they are listening....Pentax ain't listening about longer lens so I guess Sigma is doing at least as much as Pentax to offer more lens foir us!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 10:22 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Sadly, I'm not holding my breath on Sigma's manufacture of any lens to fit a Pentax. I went to their website and checked each of the lenses designated as "New" in the Sigma line. Not a single one was available in a Pentax mount. Does that suggest that Sigma is turning its back on Pentax owners? I sincerely hope not.

Edit: There was one product announcement this month from Sigma that did include Pentax. That was the new EF 530 DG Flash unit, so they haven't totally forgotten that we exist.


Paul
I don't think they have forgotten us but are just waiting to tool up for the production...I can't see why they wouldn't eventually give us a mount for the HSM...There's Gold in them thar hills!!

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 10:54 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
snostorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago Suburb, IL, USA
Posts: 2,770
Default

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Sadly, I'm not holding my breath on Sigma's manufacture of any lens to fit a Pentax.* I went to their website and checked each of the lenses designated as "New" in the Sigma line.* Not a single one was available in a Pentax mount.* Does that suggest that Sigma is turning its back on Pentax owners?* I sincerely hope not.

Edit:* There was one product announcement this month from Sigma that did include Pentax.* That was the new EF 530 DG Flash unit, so they haven't totally forgotten that we exist.


Paul
I don't think they have forgotten us but are just waiting to tool up for the production...I can't see why they wouldn't eventually give us a mount for the HSM...There's Gold in them thar hills!!

Dawg

Sigma, and the other 3rd party lens mfgs have a significant dilemna on their hands with Pentax. Do they commit to making dual AF drive lenses like the DA*s, so they can accomodate all Pentax DSLR users, but make their lenses for Pentax more expensive compared to what they offer for C and N? Do they commit to SDM compatible lenses only, leaving the D series and K100 users behind? Do they offer only screw drive lenses which work with all the current and past Pentax DSLRs, and take the chance that Pentax (now with the Hoya influence) might abandon the screw drive for SDM only lenses sometime in the future?

The only safe bet is to impliment the dual AF system approach, including all Pentax users, knowing that the market might bear the extra expense, as it has with the desireable discontinued Pentax lenses.

But this willingness to spend more has only proved true for current Pentax users. More expensive 3rd party lenses than for the competition might be a turn off for the growth market -- new DSLR adopters, who might just look at the bottom line of the initial purchase, and not take into consideration the overall cost advantage of in-body SR when considering a DSLR system (and the inevitable LBA :-) ).

Tokina and Tamron have also been slow to introduce new lenses for Pentax, and have yet to address the SDM issue. They are probably in the same limbo, watching what Pentax will do in their new generation of DSLR bodies as an indication of what direction to take.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 1:09 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Sadly, I'm not holding my breath on Sigma's manufacture of any lens to fit a Pentax. I went to their website and checked each of the lenses designated as "New" in the Sigma line. Not a single one was available in a Pentax mount. Does that suggest that Sigma is turning its back on Pentax owners? I sincerely hope not.

Edit: There was one product announcement this month from Sigma that did include Pentax. That was the new EF 530 DG Flash unit, so they haven't totally forgotten that we exist.


Paul
I don't think they have forgotten us but are just waiting to tool up for the production...I can't see why they wouldn't eventually give us a mount for the HSM...There's Gold in them thar hills!!

Dawg

Sigma, and the other 3rd party lens mfgs have a significant dilemna on their hands with Pentax. Do they commit to making dual AF drive lenses like the DA*s, so they can accomodate all Pentax DSLR users, but make their lenses for Pentax more expensive compared to what they offer for C and N? Do they commit to SDM compatible lenses only, leaving the D series and K100 users behind? Do they offer only screw drive lenses which work with all the current and past Pentax DSLRs, and take the chance that Pentax (now with the Hoya influence) might abandon the screw drive for SDM only lenses sometime in the future?

The only safe bet is to impliment the dual AF system approach, including all Pentax users, knowing that the market might bear the extra expense, as it has with the desireable discontinued Pentax lenses.

But this willingness to spend more has only proved true for current Pentax users. More expensive 3rd party lenses than for the competition might be a turn off for the growth market -- new DSLR adopters, who might just look at the bottom line of the initial purchase, and not take into consideration the overall cost advantage of in-body SR when considering a DSLR system (and the inevitable LBA :-) ).

Tokina and Tamron have also been slow to introduce new lenses for Pentax, and have yet to address the SDM issue. They are probably in the same limbo, watching what Pentax will do in their new generation of DSLR bodies as an indication of what direction to take.

Scott
Now that makes sense Scott!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 PM.