Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 28, 2007, 4:45 PM   #1

After 3 times that my 30d was sold on ebay and not paid, finally it seems it will be sold well.

Sorry to bother you again guys, but I have 10 days to buy my Pentax equipment, before my relatives come from NY, so my final doubts:

Camera is K10D, no doubt.
Flash I decided for the Metz 48AF, or the Sigma 530, wichever I can find in stores.

My doubts: 16-45 or sigma 17-70? I love pentax colors, but do they depend only on the camera, or also on the lens? To this lens I would add 50-200 and 50mm 1.4.

I'm also considering these 2 combinations: 18-55 + 50-135, or 16-50 + 50-200.

Final question: is the da 100mm a good portrait lens at f 2.8?

I know these questions have been made often, but I need to see the answers all together to decide, since I probably have to order everything in 3-4 days.

Thanks,

Lando

Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2007, 7:27 PM   #2

a little extra $$ but i'd opt for the 17-70 and the 50-135 and get a 70-300 later..
just my 2ยข...

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 7:37 PM   #3

It partly comes down to where you want the extra speed - do you want it at the wide angle (then get the 16-50 and 50-200) or the longer end (kit 18-55 and50-135). It also depends on whether you'll miss the 135 - 200 range. I have the 50-135 and love it as a walk-about lens, but then I don't do much wide-angle stuff.

As far as colors go, my experience seems to indicate that a good portion of the color is established by the camera's white balance setting. However, I've also seen that there's a subtle difference in colors with the A*300 as compared to some of my other lenses - colors are richer, more pleasing but it's a slight thing.

The Pentax 100mm macro is a very sharp lens - that can work for and against you as a portrait lens. It's the kind of lens that will show skin pores, and some people don't like that kind of detail in their pictures (can be softened with software). I took a couple of pictures with one and compared them with ones taken with the Viv 105, and thought they were pretty equal. Since I don't normally mind manual focus, I'm perfectly happy to have spent quite a bit less for the Viv than I would have for the Pentax.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 7:58 PM   #4

Lando wrote:
Quote:
After 3 times that my 30d was sold on ebay and not paid, finally it seems it will be sold well.

Sorry to bother you again guys, but I have 10 days to buy my Pentax equipment, before my relatives come from NY, so my final doubts:

Camera is K10D, no doubt.
Flash I decided for the Metz 48AF, or the Sigma 530, wichever I can find in stores.

My doubts: 16-45 or sigma 17-70? I love pentax colors, but do they depend only on the camera, or also on the lens? To this lens I would add 50-200 and 50mm 1.4.

I'm also considering these 2 combinations: 18-55 + 50-135, or 16-50 + 50-200.

Final question: is the da 100mm a good portrait lens at f 2.8?

I know these questions have been made often, but I need to see the answers all together to decide, since I probably have to order everything in 3-4 days.

Thanks,

Lando

I can't answer the question about the 16-45 or the 17-70 as I've used neither.

The lens and lens coatings can make a difference in the color rendition. Pentax is the better of the lens I've owned and used but the Sigmas and Tamrons and Vivitars and Tokinas do a very good job and most folks would not be able to tell much difference in them...But its not just the brand of lens as it is also the model of a brand that may be better or worse. Lens design and coatings and how they are applied can vary.

The focal length you get and use is a more personal thing and I could only give my opinion about what I would get and use and you might want to shoot things differently from me! Hard to tell you which way to go as I am not you.

So saying that my personal preference would be the Kit lens and a 20-200 or just get the 18-250 which will give you the zoom range you are looking for in one lens instead of 2. I myself like the kit lens in 18-55mm but if I had had the option I probably would have gotten the DA 18-250 instead...They didn't have it back then so I couldn't choose it. It is probably second on the short list for lens purchase this year.

The 50 1.4 is a sweet lens anyway you look at it and will do for a very good portrait lens. Got to remember the crop factor with the DSLR's. A 50mm lens becomes in 35mm film equivalency a 75mm lens which is the , at one time , preferred focal length for portrait lens. The 100mm lens may make you have to back off too far to shoot portraits but if you have enough distance to use it it will deliver good portrait photos!

Like I said focal lengths are a personal choice....Here is mine for now and the choices are for the shooting I do which is very eclectic and varied.
Zooms
Pentax Da 12-24
Pentax Da 18-250
Sigma 50-500 "Bigma"

Primes
Pentax FA 50mm 1.4
Vivitar 105mm f 2.5 macro manual lens Macro 1:1 ( you can substitute the Pentax FA 100mm f/2.8 macro here if you want but I already have the Viv 105)
Pentax smc A or M or FA or FA* 200mm f/3.5 or lower
Pentax smc A or M or FA or FA* 300mm f/4 or lower

Longer lenses later if I can ever afford them!
Just remember these are my choices and the only choices I can tell you about as you will have to decide which ones you need for what you will be shooting...We can't tell you more than if a lens works for us.
Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote