Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 30, 2007, 5:19 PM   #1

Well, I have been saving my lunch money for sometime with my eye on the Pentax 12-24. My wife said go ahead for my Christmas present, so I was looking around, just to make sure and also checking on the price. I had noticed that for the Christmas season, Pentax removed the 12-24 from their rebate offering.

Then I came across the just announced Tokina 11-16/f2.8, then came across someone thinking that a Pentax version of this would round out the just announced Pentax line of f2.8 lenses streaching it from 11 to 153mm.

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00NdiH

So now I am pondering if I just put it off for several weeks till Pentax announces what ever they are going to announce. Also hoping that by the end of the month they roll out a new rebate program with the 12-24 or ....?

Then there is probably a business trip to San Diego in January with the possibility of going out for several days on a ship to check out some things - which would make for a great photo opportunity - with a new lens......

... and I was just wanting to focus on 4 lenses setup just designed for traveling.

decisions, decisions, decisions....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2007, 11:09 PM   #2

interested_observer wrote:
Quote:
Well, I have been saving my lunch money for sometime with my eye on the Pentax 12-24. My wife said go ahead for my Christmas present, so I was looking around, just to make sure and also checking on the price. I had noticed that for the Christmas season, Pentax removed the 12-24 from their rebate offering.

Then I came across the just announced Tokina 11-16/f2.8, then came across someone thinking that a Pentax version of this would round out the just announced Pentax line of f2.8 lenses streaching it from 11 to 153mm.

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00NdiH

So now I am pondering if I just put it off for several weeks till Pentax announces what ever they are going to announce. Also hoping that by the end of the month they roll out a new rebate program with the 12-24 or ....?

Then there is probably a business trip to San Diego in January with the possibility of going out for several days on a ship to check out some things - which would make for a great photo opportunity - with a new lens......

... and I was just wanting to focus on 4 lenses setup just designed for traveling.

decisions, decisions, decisions....
They don't make it easy on us do they? I like most offerings from Pentax Sigma Tamron and Tokina, with some better than others...I just don't have the time to wait sometimes....Especially on something rumored but not in the works so to speak....Since Pentax is not offering anything in the extreme Zoom like a Bigma then I guess I'll go with that...But the 12-24 pentax is on my wish list and if I had the bucks I'd probably go for it.....F/2.8 as a set of lens will be sweet but the price will be up there too....I may wait for some of those to get used then sold but as I said before I may not have the time!! LOL No. 3 on the list is a copy of the lens Paul got....Nice DA* 50-135 lens there and relatively fast too...Just more than I can spend right now.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 12:07 AM   #3

well now i'm thinking about waiting after reading about the da* 11-16 f/2.8. i already have the the da* 50-135 and have been thinking about adding the da* 16-50... so if this da* 11-16 is true, that may just be the push i need to get the da* 16-50. hopefully on january 24th everything becomes much clearer for most of us.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 1:26 AM   #4

If you always wait on new lenses, you'll wait forever. Also, it's sometimes worth it to wait a bit so you aren't one of those who gets the problematic first-run series. I've been pretty lucky - my very early K10 and DA*50-135 have worked out very well. However, I think I'm pushing my luck, so I went ahead and ordered the 12-24. I just hope it's OK - I ordered it so it would have an estimated delivery date of Jan 2. UPS tried to deliver it today, but the office is closed. Urrrr!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 8:46 AM   #5

Congratulations on the lens....when it arrives..LOL be waiting to hear how you like it...I'm always afraid on these really wide ones that there will be too much distortion!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 10:04 AM   #6

very true on the waiting forever part! personally i don't take too many wide angle shots, still have not used my zenitar. most of my shots are from 40mm and above and i've got that range well covered. but for when i do want something wide, it's nice to have that ability. just not an immediate need, so i can afford to wait a little while and see what my options might me.

but like always, once you start posting shots from your da 12-24 harriet i'll once again be tempted by all your wonderful examples.

you can call ups with your tracking number and ask them to hold it so you can pick it up. that is if they are open today...
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote