Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 2, 2008, 5:44 PM   #1

Finally I did it!!!

Ordered tonight all my new equipment, after having sold the 30d.

So I ordered:

Pentax k10d, Da 18-55 ( bought separate, I don't know why the kit was more expensive ), Da 50-200, Fa 50mm 1.4, Flash Metz 48AF, SD 4GB and extra battery. I decided to skip the 18-250, since I believe the 2 lens kit to be better performant.

All just selling my 30d + flash 430EX + 50mm 1.8 + Sigma 24-60.

Overall I think I have a better camera and lenses, new, and I even have few dollars to spare.

I'll receive everything the 11th, and I'll post then my impressions.....
Thanks for the patience while I was researching what to buy.
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2008, 5:59 PM   #2

Congratulations Lando...Looks like good choices all around....Now the LBA will kick in and you'll be wandering the pages of EBAY for days!! LOL

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 6:12 PM   #3

LBA is already on since when I had the k100d.

I was almost to buy the 16-50 DA*, but the home pc decided to die, so I had to move some finance to make that new.

I will force myself to not buy new lenses for 1 year, to make practice with what I have now.

I'll soon submit to the forum judgement my work.
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 7:17 PM   #4

welcome back lando, congrats on becoming a born again pentaxian!
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 7:21 PM   #5

it's about time!!!
great thing is all your lenses are now IS.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 8:28 PM   #6

I considered the Canon 30D, but in the end went with the Pentax K10D. I have the battery grip and the Pentax 16-45 zoom lnes. Very happy with all this Pentax stuff.

Now all I need is long zoom lens (preferably over 300 -400 mm at the top end) . Any ideas?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 10:00 PM   #7

lesmore49 wrote:
Quote:
I considered the Canon 30D, but in the end went with the Pentax K10D. I have the battery grip and the Pentax 16-45 zoom lnes. Very happy with all this Pentax stuff.

Now all I need is long zoom lens (preferably over 300 -400 mm at the top end) . Any ideas?
you'll also need a good tripod.
links on request..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 6:51 AM   #8

lesmore49 wrote:
Quote:

I think all of us who shoot wildlife lust in our hearts for the Sigma 50-500 (Bigma), list price $ 999, but I've been very pleased with my budget alternative till I can afford the big one... the Phoenix 100-400mm AF (made by Cosina--occasionally seen marketed with either the Cosina badge or the Vivitar Series 1 badge). It sells new for a little less than $ 200 from either B&H or Adorama. (Occasionally found much cheaper on E-bay--I picked up one for my son's K100d for $ 68.) I haven't seen the column, but I understand it received a mention in a major photography publication last month as one of the better budget lenses. A few bird shots I've taken in the last month or so with it:

All of the shots above are handheld. With the SR on the K10d, I leave the tripod at home when shooting with this lens. If I have enough light to get the shot (f6.7 when fully extended), camera shake is not a problem. The AF on the lens is OK, but not great, and I usually manually focus on small birds.

I have the Tamron 70-300, but I've found that I seldom use it for wildlife shooting anymore simply because the IQ is just is good with the 400mm, and it's got that little extra bit of reach.

Negatives to the lens? It's a push-pull design and fully-extended is a monster out in front of the camera (it only has a 67mm front lens element, so VERY long tube), build quality is only mediocre (cheap feeling hood, some zoom creep when shooting upwards on BIF shots).

PS--Anecdote on this lens: I was shooting in the local botanical garden when I overheard a young couple behind me. She said something to the effect that she would like to have a camera "like that." His response, "Yeah, but he probably paid more than two thousand just for that lens!" I didn't feel the need to correct them, LOL.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 9:43 AM   #9

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
I haven't seen the column, but I understand it received a mention in a major photography publication last month as one of the better budget lenses.
That would have been Herb Keppler in his column in last month's popular photography. He also had high praise for the Pentax 10-17 FE in the same issue.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote