Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 2, 2008, 8:31 PM   #1

Well I gotmy second LBA fix today and wanted to share my experience with the Forum members and make aware of a good deal,IMO, and maybe yours.I purchased a FA50 1.4 for $88.46+ tax from Fry's Electronics.They said they were discontinuing it?Well I got itand it was the only one in the store.May want to check your stores if you have one nearby and are in the market for this lens.Asked if I could mount it on my camera and take a couple of pics in store and check for good operation,sure they said,took a few shots and theylooked sharp(not a real test I know).Photo of a box about 5 feet away and upon review in camera and with some zoom I could clearly read the print on box.It was very clear and sharp,maybe I will post the shot...even the sales person was surprised(a Nikon owner)and took a double take to look at the shot again.

I had actually ordered one last Friday and was notifiedbythe store I had ordered from (Penn Camera)it was out stock and had not shipped,(was I lucky? or not)so I cancelled and saved myself over a hundred from the Penn price(they seem to be nice people).Now I have a hundred towards my next fix.....

something WIDE maybe.....:G

Larry..
Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2008, 8:57 PM   #2

Here is the photo,untouched...ISO 400 f2.8 no flash

Old Jan 2, 2008, 9:05 PM   #3

But do you like it???

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 9:29 PM   #4

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
But do you like it???

Dawg
Well yes Dawg I think I like it.Have just taken a few pics with it.Was thinking of doing some focus tests with it tonight,go through some f stops and see how it performs at my desk and take some outside tomorrow in the sunlight.

Larry
Old Jan 2, 2008, 10:17 PM   #5

I didn't realize that Fry's carried Pentax at all - wish I had realized that. While I'm not exactly a fan of the store, they do sometimes have very good buys. Maybe I'll head to one on Saturday and see if they have anything interesting left. Or maybe not- I killed my lens budget already by getting the 12-24.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 10:42 PM   #6

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I didn't realize that Fry's carried Pentax at all - wish I had realized that. While I'm not exactly a fan of the store, they do sometimes have very good buys. Maybe I'll head to one on Saturday and see if they have anything interesting left. Or maybe not- I killed my lens budget already by getting the 12-24.
Untill today I was unaware they were in Ga.Did not know they handled Pentax either although I did not see a PentaxDSLR they did have 2 Samsung's.They had some other Pentax lenses and a flash or two though.

Learned of the lens deal from another forum and was going to order and have shipped,looked at there locator at their website and discovered they had 2 stores north of Atlanta,1 had it the other did not.Drove about 45 miles one way to get the bargain.

Congrats on the 12-24!How do you like?May be the next on my list,from the looks on the price please tell me it is gold plated or something.....
Old Jan 2, 2008, 10:57 PM   #7

wow, thanks!!

i'll be calling the 3 store's here in our area tomorrow!!!!!!!
i think i own an aisle in the fry's closest to me..
they have fantastic deals if you watch their ads...

thanks again,
roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 11:07 PM   #8

Motorman wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
But do you like it???

Dawg
Well yes Dawg I think I like it.Have just taken a few pics with it.Was thinking of doing some focus tests with it tonight,go through some f stops and see how it performs at my desk and take some outside tomorrow in the sunlight.

Larry
Remember it will be sharpest at around F/4 or F/5.6 least that is what they say....You'll be able to give comment on that tommary!. Lookin' forered tu tha Fotoe's.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 11:37 PM   #9

I am probably not to good a this and some may find fault with my test but here are some focus test shots I took.I took shots at all f stops and for now I will post 3.If someone would like to post more or all let me know.....

These were sot at 45 degree angle as specified on the chart at about 16 or so inches,aperture priority, flash on...

f1.4

f4

f22

Please let me know what I might do better or what you think of my test.Lens may be front focused about3 or so mm to me but looks alright to me.What do y'all think?
Old Jan 3, 2008, 12:29 AM   #10

it's days like this that i wish i lived closer to a fry's. even though i already have one of these i still would have bought another one. with gas prices soaring i haven't made a trip to dallas in over a year. 10 years ago i use to make the trip on a friday after work and drive back to okc that same night just to pick up something that was on sale in the 8 page friday ad. i was so excited when i found out that the old incredible universe in dallas was becoming a fry's. damn $100 per barrel oil.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote