Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 3, 2008, 12:15 AM   #1

I know there is a big dollar difference but other than that and the obvious mm diffeences -- do you think one would take better long range pictures. I'm very new at this and want to get the pentax but have seen some great photos taken with the sigma? For those of you who have more experience and wisdom your words of wisdom would be appreciated.
I'll be taking nature pictures (birds, zoo, wildlife, beach etc.) I'm confused that if the long range pictures are comparable -- then why not get the pentax with the options on the short end. Not concerned about the money as much as your opinions on picture quality on the 250mm side vs the 300mm sigma
Thanks
Pastorbbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2008, 12:43 AM   #2

get the sigma. reason being you already stated... "but have seen some great photos with the sigma." you certainly don't have to look far on this forum to see excellent examples from this lens.

you are going to make some trade offs for a 14x super zoom. i think it is better to get something that was designed for telephoto use if that is your primary concern rather than something that was designed to be a general multipurpose lens. if you want to spend more maybe look at a 300mm prime or the sigma 100-300 f/4.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 11:15 PM   #3

The Sigma 70-300mm APO is well regarded as a good value. I would expect it to do better within its range than the 18-250mm. If you already have the 18-55mm kit lens you have a capable performer covering the wide angle to normal range. The Sigma compliments the kit lens nicely and will only leave you with a small gap in the middle.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 2:28 AM   #4

What is the difference between the APO and the Non- APO versions?? Might sound silly but I don't know.
kriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:05 AM   #5

APO (APO Lens)
In order to attain the highest quality images, the APO lens has been made using special low-dispersion (SLD) glass and is designed to minimize color aberration.

Basically the APO lens has 3 SLD pieces of glass and the non-APO version has only 1 piece. You'll see it maintain better contrast in the APO version.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 6:04 PM   #6

Thanks for the information Ishino...looks like I'm getting the LBA itch started now....
kriss is offline   Reply With Quote