Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 3, 2008, 8:24 PM   #1

I picked up an older zoom lens (an 80-200mm f2.8c) for my K100 off of Ebay last week and just got to try it out last night when I noticed a hazing in my shots:

I cleaned both the front & rear elements, and that's when I noticed this on the inner zoom element behind the front glass:

Needless to say, I can't get to that without taking the lens apart, which I don't want to do as I'm klutzy as hell. I took it by a Wolf Camera to see if anyone there could identify it, but no one was sure. One person did suggest that it might be condensation (the lens was shipped from California to GA in 2 days) and to try leaving it in a bunch of uncooked rice for a couple of days to see if that does anything. It's currently in a ziplock full of white rice right now (lens caps are still on-I didn't want to risk the rice grains scratching the elements), but it'll be Saturday before I can take it to another camera shop that does on-site work and get an opinion from them. Can anyone give me an educated guess about what this might be? Thanks in advance.
[img]chrome://piclens/content/launch.png[/img][img]chrome://piclens/content/launch.png[/img]
grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2008, 8:57 PM   #2

depending on how it was listed i think i'd be asking a refund right now. how about a link to the auction?? also try wrapping the big end in aluminum foil , shinny side in and place it so the noon day sun falls into it for 3-4 hours.
there's all kind of things that can cause this. some of them irreversable.
who made the lens??

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 10:38 PM   #3

I don't want to link the auction because I don't want to risk upsetting the seller. I'm starting to get a sinking feeling over this.
[img]chrome://piclens/content/launch.png[/img]
grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 10:43 PM   #4

could it be from smoking? i picked up some old camera equipment from an elderly lady and it was beyond cleaning from all the cigarette smoke that had got inside. kinda looked like this but worse. if it is from smoke, you should be able to at least pick up a faint whiff of it.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 11:09 PM   #5

ishino wrote:
Quote:
could it be from smoking? i picked up some old camera equipment from an elderly lady and it was beyond cleaning from all the cigarette smoke that had got inside. kinda looked like this but worse. if it is from smoke, you should be able to at least pick up a faint whiff of it.
Smoking haze will make the photos a yellowish brown as well. Quite often it is sucked in while the Zoom is being actuated in and out. creates a little bit of vaccum and will bring it right inside. Could be taken apart and cleaned.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 2:18 PM   #6

Send it back. Whatever it is is probably on more than one surface. Dismantling a lens (especially a zoom) is risky because the elements may nor be properly reseated orrealigned correctly when reassembled.On old lenses, the coatings on the inner surfaces may be soft, andcould be damaged by cleaning. It is not worth messing with, unless it is irreplaceable, in which case let the pros do it!

Heating a lens is a bad idea - it can result in separation (decementing) of compound elements.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote