Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 3, 2008, 11:33 PM   #1

It's been very grey today, and yesterday was hazy. I don't have any brilliant shots to post, but thought someone might find my first couple of pictures with this lens of interest.

Yesterday I put on the lens hood and went out in the hazy sunshine to play with my new lens. I found out that the hood that comes with it can be seen at the corners at 12mm - don't know if that's because I didn't have it on right or if it's just so wide there's nothing you can do about it. The hood is effective, because when I finally figured out what was going on, I took the same picture and got flare (it was that type of situation).

Today it was really grey overcast - no sun at all. I love the perspective at 12mm - it's going to be fun playing with it. It gives you a very broad view - I've posted pictures of this building before, but didn't think I really captured it's essence before. It was built around an already existing parking structure (part is on the sides, and part spans the structure). These two pictures do a better job:

It changes perspective, giving an altered feeling of space. It makes for interesting lines:

And it accentuates the keystone effect one gets when you look up (I should have shot this as a portrait):

Some comparisons - this was shot at 14mm:

Same spot, shot at 24mm, K10 and 12-24mm lens:

As a comparison, this one was taken with the K100 and the kit lens at 24mm also:

All of these are the full frame (or almost in the case of the couple I had to rotate slightly because I'm horrible on squaring up lines) and resized. The CA is not bad, considering how horrible the lighting conditions were, and a hair better than the kit lens (I have other lenses that are much worse). Remember, I really like my kit lens - it's really sharp. The 12-24 isn't significantly sharper, but not softer either (some shots were, but others were sharper - I think the differences had to do with the photographer rather than the lens).

Feel free to comment, especially if you see something I've missed. I know the pictures aren't great. I have a cold and I'm either not physically as capable of taking a good picture or else my bah-humbug mood is making me super-critical. So far my opinion is that I'll have a blast playing with the perspective altering capabilities of the lens, as well as the extra "real estate" you can capture in close quarters being very useful (wish I had had it in Tucson), but it's not a "WOW!" lens like the A*300. I think it's going to end up being more useful for methan I had expected.

P.S. The lens is not a fisheye - there's no need to de-fish the pictures (these are basically straight out of the camera, a little adjustment to contrast and the occasional slight rotate).

P.P.S. - I noticed this morning that I messed up - the second picture that was supposed to be the kit lens wasn't - it was the same photo as the one before. Corrected now.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2008, 9:51 AM   #2

hope you start feeling better soon harriet. hopefully that cold won't keep you down that long. thanks for the examples. in your last two comparison shots it looks like the da 12-24 is better at that 3d effect giving the image more depth and contrast compared to the kit lens. i really like that first one, it feels like the structure is coming out right towards me and if i looked up it would be right there.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:58 AM   #3

and i'm wanting it more now. nice shots and examples. if you ck your 2 same shot examples you'll see 1 at 24mm and the other at 14mm. i was wondering why the same shot had different sizes..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 12:47 PM   #4

the hood at 12mm is what concerns me the most.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 2:59 PM   #5

There's actually 3 under the comparison - one is at 14 (would have been 12, but thought I'd back it off a bit since I had used 12 for a number of other shots), then the two that are close to direct comparisons (even though they were taken with different cameras).
Old Jan 4, 2008, 3:16 PM   #6

I just went outside in the drizzle and tried the hood again. It was operator head-space - I didn't have the hood all the way on before. I had no trouble today with the hood shooting the same tree I took the other day and no hood in the corners. The hood has almost two clicks -a preliminary sort-of click when you first hit resistence, then a more resounding one where it really clicks in place. I had thought the other day that it seemed kind-of loose, now I know why. It's actually very sturdy when properly locked in place.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 7:23 PM   #7

Nice photos and I think this is a great lens.I want this lens and after your photos which are sharp IMO,and I now lust this lens! Thanks for posting these,nice.If you had not mentioned it I could not tell you had a cold and was not feeling well,hope you get better!

Larry
Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:14 PM   #8

Motorman wrote:
Quote:
Nice photos and I think this is a great lens.I want this lens and after your photos which are sharp IMO,and I now lust this lens! Thanks for posting these,nice.If you had not mentioned it I could not tell you had a cold and was not feeling well,hope you get better!

Larry
aNOTHER LENS ON THE LIST..tHANK YOU FOR POSTING THESE...dID YOU HAVE TO CHANGE THE eXPOSURE COMPENSATION OR CONTRAST WITH THIS ONE?
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:11 PM   #9

Dawg - I didn't do any EV compensation - just put the camera on P and snapped away. I did some adjustment in Lightroom (and matched the white balance since the K10 and K100 are slightly different). The first day I tried the lens out, I forgot I had the camera set for a -EV. While the pictures were abit underexposed, I thought the lens is more forgiving than many. I also thought it seemed to be more saturated than the kit lens, but that was probably because I had one camera set on bright and the other on natural, and I was shooting jpg. I'm just not very good at comparisons - there's always some setting I've played around with and forgotten to change back.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 11:59 PM   #10

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Dawg - I didn't do any EV compensation - just put the camera on P and snapped away. I did some adjustment in Lightroom (and matched the white balance since the K10 and K100 are slightly different). The first day I tried the lens out, I forgot I had the camera set for a -EV. While the pictures were abit underexposed, I thought the lens is more forgiving than many. I also thought it seemed to be more saturated than the kit lens, but that was probably because I had one camera set on bright and the other on natural, and I was shooting jpg. I'm just not very good at comparisons - there's always some setting I've played around with and forgotten to change back.
Thanks for the info Harriet. And aren't you glad we have all those options?? My worst is to fire off 20 or 30 shots and then on finally checking the review I find I've left the white balance on tungsten!! Lots of Very Blue photos.LOL

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote