Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 11, 2008, 1:12 AM   #1

hi all. I still use my older manual focus lenses from my K1000 on my K100d, save the kit lens. One of my favorite ones though is the 50mm 1:2 that came with my old camera. No ther lens I have can open up that wide (others go to at most F/4). Thing is that getting another portrait prime prime isn't financially possible right now and i'd like to keep using the 50mm prime. i'm looking at 2x teleconverters on Ebay and I'm tempted to buy a pair since theyre selling them for about $80.

so, do you think I'll be getting decent shots for portraits using them? Looking at one of the descriptions it says that this particular one will cut your focal length in half. If that is true then maybe I can use my old zoom lens (Tamrom 70-210 f/4) lens with it as well and get the equivalent DOF of 2.8 even though i have the lens at 5.6.

Is this practical or am i just being cheap? I got the cam because i can use my older lenses and i hate to have them collect dust. The fact that the IQ is so good is a definite plus! When I have the money I do want to invest in a portrait prime like a 90 or 135 lens but right now its not in the cards.

Sorry for this being so wordy. :?I guess what im asking is, what are the concerns and compromises using the 2x teleconverter.

Thanks.
JBoyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2008, 1:47 AM   #2

A few years back I picked up a 2x converted for my Nikon film cameras. I didn't need it. I have a 105mm, a 135mm, a 300mm, a 400mm and a 70-210mm zoom. But the price was right so I snagged it. (Nikon converters can run as much as good lenses) I found the picture quality to be quite good when used with a good lens. The down side it also double you aperture so my 50mm f/2 becomes a 100mm f/4 thus my 105mm f/2.5 is a better choice for portraits but the 50mm+2X combo would work. On the up side with the 50mm with converter maintains the lenses minimum focus distance so it is better for close ups than the 105mm. One final note: People will tell you that the converter degrades image quality. That's true but whether it dose so enough to be noticed will depend on the converter and the lens it's used with. And if you think about it .. for portraits it's a good thing if your image is a little soft.

P.S. I'm the king of cheap .. look at this

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=7
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 3:41 AM   #3

But what is wrong with either the Kit lens or the 50mm f/2? I have both and they are among my favorites for portraits. The portrait focal length of choice is around 70-100mm and with the 50mm f/2 you have in 35mm equivalency a 75mm lens. The Kit lens at 55mm equals a 85mm lens in 35mm equvalency. So either of those are good portrait lens right off the bat. Here is a portrait that has won awards for me taken with the 18-55mm kit lens. And I might add in low light. I used photo shop to balance out the exposure. And there ain't no one cheaper than me!! LOL

Dawg

Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 7:17 AM   #4

I tend to agree with Dawg. What's wrong with 50mm? With the crop factor, 50mm becomes a wonderful length for portrait work, and some of my favoriteportraits have been taken at that length. This one was with the FA 50mm at f1.4.

(There were some distracting background elements, so I played with a radial blur on the background layer and liked the final product.)
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 7:32 AM   #5

True the 50mm should work well. I loved my 105mm for 35mm portaits. haven't done much in digital.

that's a greagt image Dawg I love the eyes
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 5:22 PM   #6

Hiya Dawg. Well, I DO like the kit lens but with the max aperture opening at f/4 I doubted I'd get that shallow DOF I'm looking for. I'm going to go whole hog testing that this weekend. Btw, I love that pic you posted. You added the blur in post-productioon, right?

Oops, I forgot about the film to digital magnification. I've been suffering from information overload! :shock: I thank you guys for the clarity. And how you'll MacGuyver anything to save a couple of bucks! Well, between you and TJsnaps. :lol:

Lemme show you a pic that I took of my g/f last month. This is using the kit lens and bouncing the 360FGZ off my right wall. The background (hallway) was able to go to black. When I start to take more outdoor portraits though I'm going to use the 50mm. It actually does have a good amount of pleasant bokeh.

Attached Images

Old Jan 11, 2008, 7:27 PM   #7

tjsnaps wrote:
Quote:
True the 50mm should work well. I loved my 105mm for 35mm portaits. haven't done much in digital.

that's a greagt image Dawg I love the eyes
Thanks TJ.

Dawg
Old Jan 11, 2008, 7:29 PM   #8

JBoyde wrote:
Quote:
Hiya Dawg. Well, I DO like the kit lens but with the max aperture opening at f/4 I doubted I'd get that shallow DOF I'm looking for. I'm going to go whole hog testing that this weekend. Btw, I love that pic you posted. You added the blur in post-productioon, right?

Oops, I forgot about the film to digital magnification. I've been suffering from information overload! :shock: I thank you guys for the clarity. And how you'll MacGuyver anything to save a couple of bucks! Well, between you and TJsnaps. :lol:

Lemme show you a pic that I took of my g/f last month. This is using the kit lens and bouncing the 360FGZ off my right wall. The background (hallway) was able to go to black. When I start to take more outdoor portraits though I'm going to use the 50mm. It actually does have a good amount of pleasant bokeh.

Yes I added it in photoshop using a blur vignette filter from Nik color efex pro.

Like the background blur Paul!

I don't dee anything much wrong with that portrait other than maybe needing some levels adjustment. Inmdoors I like to get sunlight from a window to use insted of a flash. You get some Backlighting that way if you pose it right! With a flash even bounced you get much harsher highlights and shadows. Gives it a harder look!

Dawg

Old Jan 11, 2008, 7:53 PM   #9

Here is a test shot using the 50mm lens. I shot it at ISO400 at 1/20 sec wide open. The only light was the mostly cloudy sky. I figure I won't be able to get this kind of shallow DOF effect at f/4 with the kit lens unles I zoom all the way in and almost shoot right on top of it.

Well, sometimes ya dont know until ya try it.

Attached Images

Old Jan 11, 2008, 8:26 PM   #10

You should be able to go to ISO 800 without a lot of noise! A tripod and slower shutterspeeds will help bring out the colors and details too! That is not that bad either....I'll do a little shooting and posting with the Kit lens and my 50mm f/2 this week end to see how much I can drag out of them...Inside since that is where you are shooting it looks like. I'll post my test shots too with the EXIF data below them....Need to stretch my skills a little anywho!

Dawg