Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:23 PM   #11

Wow, that Nikon lens is awful and your Pentax lens if extremely nice.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 4:10 PM   #12

Hi Daniel,

I can't say that I'm very impressed with the Pro's results, either in composition, sharpness, or flash technique. Your shots are better -- That's got to be pretty gratifying. Nice going!!

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 5:02 PM   #13

I agree with Scott, and thanks for making me happy. When I got a FA28mm 2.8 with my rainbow bucket my first impulse was to resell it. Now I'm happy for keeping it.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 5:39 PM   #14

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
I agree with Scott, and thanks for making me happy. When I got a FA28mm 2.8 with my rainbow bucket my first impulse was to resell it. Now I'm happy for keeping it.

Kjell
Kjell,

28mm has always been underestimated and underused. It is not wide and not long. It can never give you a nice bokeh as its DoF is large even wide open. I have found out this lens is a perfect P&Shooter for party/dinner use (usu for 3-8 people). With Av F4 and bounce flash set up, all you need is to point and shoot with autofocus on.

Plain and simple.

http://www.robertstech.com/equip.htm
I think I bought this on Bob's input "This lens is probably Pentax's best-kept secret: It's very sharp, reasonably fast and not very expensive. Sadly, it's out of production now. If you see one for sale buy it!"

Kjell, you have FA35mm. I trust you can do the same thing with FA35mm

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 7:49 PM   #15

Daniel, you obviously put more thought into your shots than the "pro". Also shooting group photos at <28mm fl distorts body shapes which gives very disappointing results. When using the kit lens on my DS, I'm often disappointed with the photo when I've zoomed out to 18mm to get everyone in the photo. A lovely looking family!

cheers
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 8:37 PM   #16

Daniel, thank you for posting this sequence with expanded commentary. I bought a Sigma EX28mm f1.8 DG earlier this week. I really haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but you give me some good direction on how to get maximum performance from the lens.

Your photos are wonderful, and the traditional dress very impressive.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 4:46 AM   #17

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
http://www.robertstech.com/equip.htm
I think I bought this on Bob's input "This lens is probably Pentax's best-kept secret: It's very sharp, reasonably fast and not very expensive. Sadly, it's out of production now. If you see one for sale buy it!"

Kjell, you have FA35mm. I trust you can do the same thing with FA35mm
I've got a nice lineup with the FA28, FA35 and FA50 1.4. The quality of these lenses keep amazing me. And I can compare with the best, as I also have a number of A* lenses.

So if you like fast prime lenses like I do - just get them all! In this field i think: Pentax rules, yeah!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 3:48 PM   #18
TDN

Hmm, looking at them again, I don't think the lens is what makes the D200 shots look worse at all!

If you looka t the shadows, you'll see that the photographer used direct flash. That's almost always a guarantee for a bad to moderate photo...

Daniel, you used bounce flash, and the light diffusion is just much nicer.

You'd think a professional knows not to flash directly at the subject :shock:

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 8:01 PM   #19

The only thing professional about the shot that was taken with the D200 and whatever lens was used is the fact that the photographer was paid.

Your shots from the angle it was taken is a much better vantage point. I am surprised that the use of a flash bracket by the professional produced these kind of results. Also, how many other flashes were firing off when the professional photographer was trying to take the shot? I understand why a professional wants to be the only one taking the picture.

The results of the professional is not good at all in comparison to what you were using for your results.

I have the Nikkor 28mm 2.8 lens and it takes exceptional photos with my D200. I use either the SB800 flash with an Alzo flashbracket and/or Gary Fong Lightsphere. I don't think the D200 is the culprit here but the photographer who shot it.

Just about any make of camera with the right exposure and settings can pull of an exceptional shot like yours.

Kudos to your shots. I don't find it makes or breaks another make though. I will shoot weddings with my D200's before I use my Pentax.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 8:34 PM   #20

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
All I can say is that your camera and lens did a great job - who cares why.
The reality is that most people/guests would not be able to tell the difference. Ask people around and you will know.
I know what I did was decent but not stellar. What I want to find out is why the pro has gone so wrong.

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
The only thing professional about the shot that was taken with the D200 and whatever lens was used is the fact that the photographer was paid.

The results of the professional is not good at all in comparison to what you were using for your results.

I have the Nikkor 28mm 2.8 lens and it takes exceptional photos with my D200. I use either the SB800 flash with an Alzo flashbracket and/or Gary Fong Lightsphere. I don't think the D200 is the culprit here but the photographer who shot it.

Just about any make of camera with the right exposure and settings can pull off an exceptional shot like yours.
vIZnquest

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing but respect for Nikon gear particularly their tele ends and ultra fast focus tracking. I am contemplating mixing my system with Nikon at the long end. But anything shorter than 200mm, Pentax can match the best IMO.

I know it is isolated operator's error.
I am sure Nikkor 28mm 2.8 lens is at least as good if not better than Pentax FA28mm.

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote