Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 4, 2008, 1:11 AM   #11

Ciao Giovanni! Non sono proprio una italiana italiana.. Pero' sono una lettone in Italia.. vale lo stesso? By the way, anche il mio fidanzato si chiama Gianni..

Thanks for sharing your considerations.. I do agree pretty much to what you have said.. as a Lumix FZ50 user I find a Pentax camera more or less similar and smart in controls.. easy to use.. and wow.. you have got a really good price for your K10d.. I have seen it for a bit more than 800 EUR.. with 2 lenses.. hmm.. maybe I have to look around a bit more carefully..

Thanks!

Buona giornata!

Irena
DigitalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 4:00 AM   #12

I'll check an italian forum ( it.arti.fotografia.digitale ) where people posted good UK sellers.

btw, my wife was born in Riga and her name is Irina But she's american citizen since she moved there at 5 years old. Lot of similarities

Gianni
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 5:47 AM   #13

This is a really amazing coincidence.. about the names and places..

Grazie! Ci sentiamo..
Old Feb 4, 2008, 5:18 PM   #14

DigitalGal wrote:
Quote:
This is a really amazing coincidence.. about the names and places..

Grazie! Ci sentiamo..
welcome to the forum.. don't even think about that old nasty 30D.. you'll get much better help here in pentax land.. i think pentax has some suprises in store for us.. waiting on some posts.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2008, 1:41 AM   #15

Thanks, Roy! I do agree about surprises.. actually I have been reading pretty much lately about cameras.. most of all in online photo forums.. And it's surprising, because many brands are announcing new cameras.. feels like it is raining cameras..

But... I still like (more and more) what I am getting to know about Pentax K10d.. My currents lumix FZ50 looks pretty much alike it regarding controls and shape.. it fits my hand perfectly.. and also K10d does.. I have been checking several times all the possible models in store.. Well.. I cant get the best price for it here in Italy, but it is still less than you have to pay for other similar range cameras.. and lenses.. maybe.. I have no clear idea yet about them..

Have a great day!

Irena
Old Feb 5, 2008, 9:30 AM   #16

irena,
do you have friends in the states??i'd think you could have someone here buy it and then mail it too you.. do you pay VAT or customs?? i know regular prices here are many times half of what they are else where.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:36 AM   #17

Yes, Roy.. I have a few friends in USA.. But I have no any will to abuse them with all this camera hassle..

Actually it has always been a pain to buy anything here, in Italy.. Prices here are in heaven (i've intended the height).. The Lumix Fz50 I have bought in Latvia, while visiting my oldest daughter last year.. the difference from how it would cost me Italy was about 200EUR..

Well.. I am going to get a Pentax K10d.. it's a decision.. just have to figure out about lenses now.. whether to get a kit with 18-55 lens, a double lens kit, or a body only and to search for lenses.. although the difference between a body and a 18-55 lens kit is about 40 eur only.. What a puzzle! But I still have about 1 month time for the final decision before to order anything.. (a budget matter )

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and considerations! I ll come for an advice again..

have a great evening!

Irena
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:25 PM   #18

I still use my kit lens quite often - it's an excellent buy considering how little it costs. I'd recommend getting it with the camera, and perhaps a longer lens if you are more of a telephoto person (as an FZ50 owner, I would guess you are) and would hate to be limited by the shortness of the kit lens. There are several that are good possibilities - depends probably on what you can find at a reasonable price.

Remember that you can use any Pentax lens, so if you don't mind manual focus you can look at some of the older, used lenses - you can often find some really nice ones out there for not much money (the M or A 50mm 1.7 comes to mind if you want something fast).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 4:14 AM   #19

Thank you, mtngal!

I do really appreciate any input in my solitare research work.. Since I don't know any Pentax user.. all my friends are whether Canon or Nikon cameras fans..

I think I could live without telephoto lens for some time.. I have my FZ50 after all.. and I am not really a landscape shooter.. (getting stuffed already) I love portrait shots.. and a kind of still life.. I have been always fascinated by the light ans shadows.. and would love to go deeper into this, so I ll probably look for an info about the best lenses for this purpose..

Thank you you, my friends, for sharing!

Have a great day!

Irena
Old Feb 6, 2008, 7:32 PM   #20

I second Harriet's suggestions to go ahead and get the kit lens. Heck, I got two with two different bodies and they get used pretty regularly. The next suggestions would be an FA 50mm 1.4. You would be duplicating the focal length but the maximum aperture on the 50mm makes it a whole different animal and very nice for low light and portrait work and the price for fast glass of that quality is a real bargain.

Beyond that it really depends on what kind of shooting you do. The Sigma 70-300 DG APO and the Tamron 70-300 LD Di lenses seem to get good marks for value and quality in a consumer lens. Pentax has the 10-17mm and 12-24mm if you want wide angle. I am currently saving for a wide angle and some of the Pentax limited prime lenses.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote