Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 12, 2008, 3:45 PM   #1

My father in law arrived today as Santa Klaus, bringing me:

Pentax K10D + DA 18-55 + DA 50-200 + FA 50mm 1.4 + Metz 48AF.
( and 2 extra batteries + a not working SD 4gb, damn ebay seller ).

So far I'm really impressed with construction and feeling of the camera, individual buttons for practically everything. It's also not so heavy and big as I expected, it defintely feels much better then the Canon 30D.

I'm trying to figure out how to set jpg settings ( any input? ) and how to get proper exposure with the flash (it seems to underexpose, but I have to better experiment ).

I'm also quite happy about the 50-200, super light, but it still gives a feeling of quality.

I will have to post some pictures in the future, to get some advice on how to use this new baby

anyway, I don't know how the k20D will be, but at the current price ( 509$ after rebate ), I don't see any camera competing with the k10D.
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2008, 5:04 PM   #2

Does your wife have a sister? I want a father in law like yours!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 5:13 PM   #3

don't worry, I paid for everything. But still he brought it here to Italy
Old Jan 12, 2008, 5:40 PM   #4

SWEET That is a nice setup.

Mine just arrived the other day too (FedEx though, not the father in law). I just got the body, couldn't resist the price either although I wanted to see that the k20d has in store... I know it won't be near $500!

I just wonder why my k110d has an iso of 3200 and the k10d only 1600? Not that it really matters to me, just interesting.

Enjoy!
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 5:54 PM   #5

Lando wrote:
Quote:
My father in law arrived today as Santa Klaus, bringing me:

Pentax K10D + DA 18-55 + DA 50-200 + FA 50mm 1.4 + Metz 48AF.
( and 2 extra batteries + a not working SD 4gb, darn ebay seller ).

So far I'm really impressed with construction and feeling of the camera, individual buttons for practically everything. It's also not so heavy and big as I expected, it defintely feels much better then the Canon 30D.

I'm trying to figure out how to set jpg settings ( any input? ) and how to get proper exposure with the flash (it seems to underexpose, but I have to better experiment ).

I'm also quite happy about the 50-200, super light, but it still gives a feeling of quality.

I will have to post some pictures in the future, to get some advice on how to use this new baby

anyway, I don't know how the k20D will be, but at the current price ( 509$ after rebate ), I don't see any camera competing with the k10D.
Congrat to you and fisheye as well.
Look forward to seeing some of your pict.

Daniel , Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 7:31 PM   #6

My congratulations to both of you...Have fun guys!!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 8:42 PM   #7

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
My congratulations to both of you...Have fun guys!!!

Dawg
I echo Dawg's comments. The K10d will give you hours of pleasure just getting to know the capabilities of the camera.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 9:39 PM   #8

Have a great time, both of you new K10 owners!

The K100 goes from ISO 200 - 3200, the K10 from ISO 100 - 1600. It's just the sensor's capability.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 10:36 AM   #9

Congratulations Lando on your new camera!

This topic have caught my eye because after a long consideration I have came to conclusion that pentax K10d double lens kit will make the best choice for me too.. I was considering also Canon 30D body, since they have dropped the price after 40D is out.. but further expenses for lenses have made me to change m,y mind.. I have other priorities, a photography is just my hobbie.. A pity!

So I am looking forward to hear more about the beginning with Pentax in hand, and also to seeing a lot of nice photos.. I still have to take a final decision..

PS. By the way, what was the camera you were using before Pentax K10d?

Best regards,

Irena

DigitalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 6:44 PM   #10

Ciao
Finally another italian

After some point and shoot ( I still have a Panasonic FZ-5 ) I got the pentax K100D, which was very good, but a little limited in functions and too many menus to access them.
So I tried the Canon 30D. Quality of pics was very good, but controls very bad for me, and I was really missing SR.

So I sold the 30D and got K10D. Very happy about it. Even with kit lens I get nice results, for low light I have the 50mm 1.4 which is excellent, or I just use bounced flash.

I strongly recommend the k10d, expecially if you can get it in the US. I think some very good offers are in england too, better for custom reasons, and even better prices in UK on the samsung gx-10, basically same camera, for little more then 400€.

In the US consider I bought it for 509$ after rebate.

Spero di essere stato utile

Giovanni