Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:27 PM   #1

OK, I just finished packing a slew of lenses I bought back in the early days of my LBA. These were lenses I either never use or that I basically had duplicates of (somehow I ended up with five 50mm primes, three 28mm primes, and three 135mm primes). The current price situation on used Pentax lenses worked to my advantage for once and I am now considering how to "reinvest."

At the top of my list is a wide angle zoom. I have followed every posting of the 12-24mm, 10-17mm, and the Sigma 10-20mm that I have seen here. I think we even have a member who has both the 10-17 and 12-24mm. I am leaning towards the 10-17 based on the fact that I can afford it right now and the 12-24mm would require patience and financial discipline (ugh!). I don't want to make the wrong choice though.

I would appreciate any input from those who have any of these lenses. In particular, I am curious about how much quality is lost from a photo by "defishing" it in software. Would you buy the same lens again or would you make a different choice? If post processing will allow me to correct perspective without losing quality it sounds like the 10-17mm could give me the best of both worlds. Man I wish there was a camera store within two hours drive of here!

Thanks for any help,
Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:41 PM   #2

I only have the DA 12-24, though I did get a chance to shoot both the 10-17 and 12-24 when the Pentax rep was at my local camera store. I ended up buying the 12-24 because of my experience - while I think the fish-eye would be great fun, I wouldn't want the distortion all the time, and decided I also didn't want to have to de-fish the pictures. I think that some programs will allow you to de-fish without losing too much on the sides, but didn't really look into it that much. Passing up the 10-17 was the right choice for me, but it won't be the right one for everyone. I never really looked into the Sigma lens, though I think I read that it is not a fish-eye, so you would wouldn't have the effect that's so much fun with a fish-eye (but is also a limitation when you don't want it).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 1:15 AM   #3

Hi Tim, I have the 10-17 and its a fun lens. I will admit that its not for everyone. I too sat here trying to decide between the 10-17 and the 12-24. I went with the 10-17 because it was wider and cheaper, and I could defish. Have I defished - no, so I can not really answer your question on that aspect of the lens. I plan to, but I get so busy, that I can only do so much.

Now, I am waiting for the 24th of the month, to see the new announcements from Pentax. Will it change my mind on now getting the 12-24 - probably not. I see reasons to have both, as I do really like the wide angle just like a lot of people are really into the telephoto aspect.

I am asking myself (given that I have the 16-45) if I really need the 12-16 range. The things I see that have been done with the 12-24 I would like to do also. I would also like to play with all three lenses together to learn. My wife said go ahead as a Christmas present so I am just waiting here to see what happens.

Beyond that - I really can't help.

I have seen some defished results where you loose a bit of the edge and maybe some bottom, depending on the image was taken. Over all, I think that they both have their place and I am hoping to improve my skill playing around with them. I do have to say that the 10-17 does open up some additiona avenues in Photography. I have seen photos where I would have expected much more bend that was in the image. I find that you can learn quite a bit with the lens. For me it has been a great learning tool. The first day I had it I used it as a walk around lens all day. Just trying out things, and the results were really quite interesting and informative to me.

Good luck on your decision....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 5:19 AM   #4

Hi Tim,

I recently got the 10-17. My thoughts were that it was significantly less expensive, I don't shoot wide all that much, and defished, it's a lot wider than anything out there. A rectilinear 12mm lens has a FOV of @ 100 degrees. A rectilinear 10mm would have a FOV of @ 110 degrees.

The 10-17 FE at 10mm gives you 180 degrees diagonal, and defished is about 135 degrees. That's the equivalent of about a 6mm rectilinear lens, if there is such a creature.

I've only played with the PSP FE correction tool, which is easy, but isn't very sophisticated, and have started looking at specialty software which I assume will do the job better, but I haven't come to any conclusions yet -- I've tried a few programs that are just too technical for me at this stage, and I just can't get my brain around, so it might be a long process. . .:shock:

Even tho I'd probably use the 12-24 more, I just couldn't justify the cost of a really wide rectilinear zoom, or primes -- maybe if I really get into shooting wide I might see it in the future, but probably not. . . I have too much fun with teles. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:41 PM   #5

well tim,
since i do not the FEs i think i'd go with the Sigma 10-20mm. it gets raves at fred miranda and is priced between the others..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 6:50 PM   #6

Thanks Harriet, IO, Scott, and Roy. It is a tough choice and there is that whole 77mm Limited thing going on in my head too. And now the Tamron 70-200mm thread. The good news is all of you (well except Roy) are happy with your choices so hopefully whichever one I chose I will have no reason to look back with regret.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:23 PM   #7

Tim - why don't you let me know what the California Lottery numbers are, then I could get the 77 Limited (how I'd love to have this lens, even though I'm not sure I would use it much), the 10-17 FE, and the Tamron 70-200 2.8. There's just too many interesting lenses out there, and I don't have enough money...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote