Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 16, 2008, 3:17 PM   #1

Samsung GX 10. Has anyone out there tried to use the old style Pentax lens on the Gx 10 ? I have still got my old lens from a Pentax A1 Super, a Zoom 70~210, f4, a 28mm ~ f2.8 and a 50mm f1.4. I know they fit ok but will they work ?
Stubzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2008, 3:20 PM   #2

Should work fine. On my Pentax, you have to tell it something about the aperture ring to allow it to work. Once you do that, it works fine. I'm sure your Samsung has a similar setting buried in the manual.

The ability to use old K-mount lenses is a major selling point, so I'm sure it will work.

Oh, and the Mod will probably move this to the Pentax/Samsung dSLR Lens forum. If not, you should post this question there or the Pentax/Samsung dSLR Forum.
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:47 AM   #3

Thanks, that got me into the correct part of the manual. I can now get the shutter working, but the aperture will not move out of the f2~8 setting.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:36 AM   #4
Administrator

rfortson wrote:
Quote:
...the Mod will probably move this to the Pentax/Samsung dSLR Lens forum.
Done.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:08 PM   #5

Hi,
Unless your lenses have the A setting on the aperture ring you'll need to set the aperture manually, and also in the custom menu set "Use aperture ring" to option 2, assuming your menus are same as the pentax models. Hope this helps ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 2:56 PM   #6

Hiya, yes my lens do have the A setting, so I will try again tomorrow, thanks for the info. Jim.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 3:22 PM   #7

Stubzi wrote:
Quote:
Hiya, yes my lens do have the A setting, so I will try again tomorrow, thanks for the info.* Jim.
Well you should be able to change the aperture with the thumb wheel when using aperture priority say, again I'm assuming the samsung has the thumbwheel, I'm just not familiar with it at all. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 11:00 AM   #8

If your lenses an A setting, they are auto-exposure lenses. You still have to manual focus, but there are contacts so the camera can control the aperture setting like the modern lenses. You can use P, Av or any of the other modes and have the camera control the aperture, as long as the lens is set to "A".

If you set it for anything other than A (i.e., you are setting the aperture on the lens itself at something like f8 or whatever), the camera won't control the lens at all - you are. If you have the camera set to any other mode other than "M" it won't stop down the lens at all - you'll be shooting wide open (useful if you want to anyway, since the camera will continually meter). If you really want to shoot at f8, then you need to put the camera in "M" mode, then push the green button - which will cause the camera to temporarily stop down the lens and meter the scene, setting the shutter speed. It will continue to use that shutter speed until you either change it manually or push the green button again. This is how you use lenses without the A setting (I have several of them).

My recommendation would be to take advantage of the auto-exposure and leave the lens on A all the time. I find I get more accurate exposures this way (assuming I'm using the appropriate metering mode).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 11:06 AM   #9
TDN

Anything on this site applies to Samsung DSLRs too: http://pentaxdigital.tdn9.be/

Check under Pentax Lens Types + K Mount info for info on how to use your lenses

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 11:42 AM   #10

Eureka!!! everything is all singing and dancing now, I am more than pleased and thank you all for the info and advice. As soon as the torrential wind and rain has ceased I will be off up the hills and see if I can wear my new camera out.

Thanks a lot, Jim.