Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 16, 2008, 3:40 PM   #1

What is an Adaptall 2 ? And what does it do ? Is it a separate device ? Is it used to adapt a screw-mount lens to a Pentax K bayonet mount camera ? Can it be left mounted to a lens so it doesn't have to be remounted each time it is used ? Also to avoid losing it.

Is it practical to glue a screw-mount adapter onto the base of a screw-mount lens for the purpose of mounting on my K10D camera ? I understand that the proper adapter must be used in order to obtain infinity focusing. But would the thin film of instant glue also ruin the infinity focus.

If it would, couldn't I drill pass-through holes in the adapter at the matching locations, then remove two or more, probably more to assure of good separation-proof strength,of the lens's base plate screws and fasten the adapter semi-permanently to the lens base with the removed screws? The new holes in the adapter would have to be countersunk, a delicate process, so I would probably need an experienced jeweler or watch maker to do the drilling and countersinking.

Where can I obtain the proper Pentax screw-mount adapter, and how do I describe it to a seller so I get the one having no focus problem at infinity?

Thanks for any help given me.

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2008, 6:46 PM   #2

Hi OE,
You are talking about two different things here. Before there was a K mount there was the Pentax M42 screw mount. I believe other camera bodies used the same threaded mount as Pentax. There are Pentax screw mount to K mount adapters for using the older lenses with the newer bodies and someone (BigDawg?) on this forum has permantently mounted them to screw mount lenses. I believe there is a pin or spring you have to remove to use it in this fashion, someone else can tell you more.

Adaptall lenses were an effort by Tamron to market a lens with interchangable mounts. You could buy a lens, a mount for a Pentax camera and a mount for a Nikon camera and use the lens on either camera. By itself the Adaptall lens does not mount to anything you have to have a mount to use it. BTW, there are some real good manual focus lenses in the adaptall lineup.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 9:22 PM   #3

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Hi OE,
You are talking about two different things here. Before there was a K mount there was the Pentax M42 screw mount. I believe other camera bodies used the same threaded mount as Pentax. There are Pentax screw mount to K mount adapters for using the older lenses with the newer bodies and someone (BigDawg?) on this forum has permantently mounted them to screw mount lenses. I believe there is a pin or spring you have to remove to use it in this fashion, someone else can tell you more.

Adaptall lenses were an effort by Tamron to market a lens with interchangable mounts. You could buy a lens, a mount for a Pentax camera and a mount for a Nikon camera and use the lens on either camera. By itself the Adaptall lens does not mount to anything you have to have a mount to use it. BTW, there are some real good manual focus lenses in the adaptall lineup.

Tim
I use Blue Loc-tite to attach my adapters not glue. They can then be removed later if you wish but with difficulty. I do this so my adapters stay on all the time giving me a defacto K-mount lens . You do not have to do this if you do not wish to and the adapter can be used with several lenses then. With the loc-tite only on the screw portion of the lens base you will not lose infinity focus. You also have to remember that when you do this there is no slot for the catch pin on the camera to retain the lens and you must be careful not to turn the focus or zoom and accidentally turn the lens mount too. This can cause your lens to fall off the camera...I've never had that happen but I've heard of others doing this and dropping their lens. One way around it is to mill or file a slot at the proper place for the catch pin to retain the lens. I don't do that as I've never had a lens unscrew the mount and fall off. You be your own best judge of this.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:08 PM   #4

O E,
all you ever need to know about adaptallsis
HERE

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 2:14 AM   #5

My questions are clearly answered. Thanks to all.

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:45 AM   #6

OE,
Take a look at this thread ... I posted pictures of both types of M42 adaptor the one that gives infinity focus is the one without flange. ... Jack

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...ghlight=jachol
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote