Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 14, 2008, 7:14 PM   #11

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
matsuiyastore is a reputable store . So it is $1,300 plus tax+ del. If B&H , or better still Henrys of Toronto, has that , it will be tempting as I have not had my Tamron 70-200mm yet. Ough another 4-6 weeks
Daniel, where do you get the estimate of another 4-6 weeks for delivery of the Tamron? My Amazon shipping estimate is still saying Feb 6-Feb 18.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 8:54 PM   #12

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:

Daniel, where do you get the estimate of another 4-6 weeks for delivery of the Tamron?* My Amazon shipping estimate is still saying Feb 6-Feb 18.
Paul
Paul,

http://www.tamron.co.jp/en/news/release_2008/0128.html

The Canon version is only available in Japan Mar 7. I can safely assume the Pentax version will be out in Jap in April and in the US in May. Now Adorama is taking order as well.

I recall same thing happened with K10D. Amazon & Adorama jumped the gun. But B&H turned out to be the first one actually delivering K10D. A lot of people ordered from B&H and cancelled order at Amazon.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 9:09 PM   #13

If that's going to be the case, I have to wonder about the release date for the Sigma HSM version of the lens. If the Tamron doesn't ship until May, I will have missed soccer season and won't have a pressing need until August/September. It would definitely make me consider cancelling and ordering the Sigma instead.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 9:31 PM   #14

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
If that's going to be the case, I have to wonder about the release date for the Sigma HSM version of the lens.* If the Tamron doesn't ship until May, I will have missed soccer season and won't have a pressing need until August/September.* It would definitely make me consider cancelling and ordering the Sigma instead.
Any Sigma or reputable vendor gives you a firmer delivery date? Let me know.
I worry about the first generation of HSM-Pentax from Sigma. Also it may be heavy and more electronic laddened than a normal lens which increases the chance of electronics failure.
Assuming both are of the same quality and bang for the buck, Sigma has one major advantage because its service centre is 5 minutes away from me.
Paul : it is not easy to make a decision

Daniel
Old Feb 16, 2008, 3:32 AM   #15

Awhile back I was looking for a decent 300mm lens, but being retired on a limited income I can't justify spending much for additional lenses. I bought a "Sears" 60-300mm f/4-5.6 on Ebay. It was perfect, but had a slight scuff mark on the objective lens. The mark doesn't seem to mar the photo result, but I wanted something better. When another lens just like it came on Ebay, it was so cheap I bought it too, thinking I would exchange the scuffed lens for a better one. Well, old Murphy jumped out from behind his tree and imposed his law on me. The second lens had a worse chip on the objective lens. Besides that, the aperture was inoperable. I will keep and use the first lens as it is really quite good. These both were Macro.

Then, an old-style Tamron Adaptall II 60-300mm SP f/3.8-5.4 Macro came up on Ebay, and it was cheap enough I took a gamble on it. I guess only a fool would chance the third time.

To my surprise the Tamron was already equipped with the Adaptall adapter, and it is perfect as can be for an older lens. Cosmetically it is as new, even no visible dust. Someone, thirty years ago, started taking good care of this lens. I haven't fully tested it, but have done enough to believe it is an outstanding piece of equipment.

I was out less than $140 (shipping included) for the total onall three lenses.

The really bad lens I will keep for parts. It would also be handy to use if my dear wife becomes disgusted about the MasterCard bills she has been getting. I will simply show her how disgusted I am at myself by shouting an expletive, then throwing the bad lens at the brick fireplace wall. That shouldshow enough penance for at least one try. If that brings her to tears and a kiss, I may even get encouraged to buy another lens.

I'll tell you all, this LBA thing can be serious.

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 6:30 AM   #16

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Any Sigma or reputable vendor gives you a firmer delivery date? Let me know.
Daniel, an unwelcome e-mail supporting your estimate of the Tamron delivery date came this week. Amazon originally showed an estimated shipping date of no later than Feb 18th. This week, I got an e-mail saying "unexpected delays in introducing new products, etc" and pushed the date back to March 18th. I fully expect to get a similar e-mail then pushing it to April 18th, and then finally gettingthe lensin line with the info you posted, sometime in May.

On the Sigma front, however, I haven't seen ANYTHING regarding a release date for their comparable lens, or for that matter, for any of the new Pentax mounts....just that they are going to be releasing them.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 8:45 PM   #17

Paul

I have the same email. I am not surprised that at the end of the day B&H actually deliver the first batch in N Am (like K10D).

Daniel
Old Feb 25, 2008, 5:39 PM   #18

Paul,

Well this thread started when I ordered through amazon the zoom. And it ends up still in their order system most likely until May. While waiting I got something even more exciting and niche , a DA*200mm. My daugher at DC has picked up for me the DA*200mm and I have to figure it out how I am to go through the minefield of snow territories around Buffalo area to reach DC. Talking about hard to get lens . I believe it is the 2nd one delivered in the States. Hopefully the shortage of AF longer lenses is over

Geez what I am doing?

No LBA shots yet. But just as exciting

Daniel, Toronto
Old Mar 26, 2008, 6:59 PM   #19

Daniel, I finally gave up on Amazon after continuing to read about the K20d. My pocketbook said I could have either the 70-200 lens or the K20d, and the more I read about the K20's high ISO performance, I finally decided that it would probably give me more bang for the buck, for now.

Additionally, I wouldn't get delivery of the Tamron lens till after soccer season was over, and the next time I will really NEED the long, fast zoom will be football this fall. By then, both the Tamron and the Sigma 70-200 will be on the street (we hope) and I hope I can read some comparative evaluations. Adorama is now listing the Sigma on its web site, although they don't have them in yet. Price is at $ 799...thus, a hundred bucks extra to get HSM.

Paul
Old Apr 11, 2008, 5:24 AM   #20

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Daniel,* I finally gave up on Amazon after continuing to read about the K20d.* My pocketbook said I could have either the 70-200 lens or the K20d, and the more I read about the K20's high ISO performance, I finally decided that it would probably give me more bang for the buck, for now.
Paul
Paul

We can take our time. Just checked B&H. August is the estimate now. I think there is some kind of conspiracy amongst the heavy weights in Japan that Pentax is not to have the 70-200mm. At $700 and with SR, it poses big competition to the big boys (Canon/Nikon). This zoom is almost a must for all pros.

Daniel