Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 13, 2008, 12:28 PM   #21

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
We can take our time. Just checked B&H. August is the estimate now. I think there is some kind of conspiracy amongst the heavy weights in Japan that Pentax is not to have the 70-200mm. At $700 and with SR, it poses big competition to the big boys (Canon/Nikon). This zoom is almost a must for all pros.
Any word on when the Sigma might be out? I got my K20d, but I'm going to have to return it because of a problem with the shutter sticking.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 12:39 PM   #22

Trojansoc wrote:

Any word on when the Sigma might be out?* I got my K20d, but I'm going to have to return it because of a problem with the shutter sticking.
Paul[/quote]

Paul,

To tell you the truth. I do not think Sigma will come up with their 70-200mm soon. Theirs would be too good to be true with HSM (for which Sigma has to reengineer backward just for Pentax format alone). Sigma is not that dumb to devote their resource just for small number of Pentax mount 70-200mm. It has done so only for Canon/Nikon mount. I make the statement notwithstanding whatever Sigma has said so far. Even in the remote chance that it comes out , I am not going to get the first slot to be the guinea pig.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 6:50 PM   #23

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Trojansoc wrote:

Any word on when the Sigma might be out? I got my K20d, but I'm going to have to return it because of a problem with the shutter sticking.
Paul
Paul,

To tell you the truth. I do not think Sigma will come up with their 70-200mm soon. Theirs would be too good to be true with HSM (for which Sigma has to reengineer backward just for Pentax format alone). Sigma is not that dumb to devote their resource just for small number of Pentax mount 70-200mm. It has done so only for Canon/Nikon mount. I make the statement notwithstanding whatever Sigma has said so far. Even in the remote chance that it comes out , I am not going to get the first slot to be the guinea pig.

Daniel

I was hoping you'd get one then tell me how good or bad it is!! LOL Man...What are friends for ..if you can't use them as guinea pigs??? LOL

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 7:01 PM   #24

Hi Daniel,

I've heard that the timetable for the new Tamron 70-200/2.8 is pointing towards a May release -- don't know about the Sigma.

Even though it's going to be a screw drive AF, I'd lean towards the Tam, if the IQ is there. This way it'd be AF with both the DS and K bodies, and a very significant difference is the 2.5 lbs as opposed to the Sigma's over 3 lbs. The 1/2 lb difference gets more important for me, since I'd be considering adding a flash for long candids. I can tell you from experience with my Tokina 80-200/2.8 AT-X AF2 that a 3 lb lens is just too heavy to for me to use handheld for any length of time at an event.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 1:12 AM   #25

Have been trying to get the Sigma 70-200f2.8 for the Pentax since August 2007. I was told by Australian importer :evil:that that lens would be available then, reason i got my K10D. Now they are telling me available in June, maybe.:evil:

The shops here say Tamron 70-200mmF2.8 for Pentax by May. $1049.00AU The Sigma due June, price from $1499.00 to $999.00AU. ? Not sure what the corect price is. One shop did tell me Sigma had a major price reduction on that lens, most likely to bring it inline with the Tamron. They did have it as $999.00. Looked today, back up to $1499.00AU. ETA unknown...June maybe.

Not sure which one to get, Tamron or Sigma. Siding towards the Tamron, May due date. Plus the run around/missleading information given by the Australian Pentax and Sigma importer, C.R.Kennedy, has me less than inspired to spend my money through him. Plus he is delaying a price match for the Pentax DA*200mmf2.8 of $899.00 from Tristate in USA, saying he needs to confirm they do send to Australia, when they state the do. Given that lens is $1749.00 in Australia. Kennedy is stalling, not wanting to send it, after i have paid the agreed price, invoice and all. :evil:

Has anyone delt with Tristate in NY.

Anyway, what lens. Sigma or Tamron.:?:?

Great site, glad i found it......:|
Craig66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:27 AM   #26

Craig66 wrote:
Quote:

Not sure which one to get, Tamron or Sigma. Siding towards the Tamron, May due date. Plus the run around/missleading information given by the Australian Pentax and Sigma importer, C.R.Kennedy, has me less than inspired to spend my money through him. Plus he is delaying a price match for the Pentax DA*200mmf2.8 of $899.00 from Tristate in USA, saying he needs to confirm they do send to Australia, when they state the do. Given that lens is $1749.00 in Australia. Kennedy is stalling, not wanting to send it, after i have paid the agreed price, invoice and all. :evil:
Welcome to this forum

The Tamron 70-200mm del is supposed to be August as per B&H info

Tristate rating is shaky ( for your order of DA*200mm)

http://www.resellerratings.com/store..._and_Computers

Re Sigma 70-200mm - my hunch is that it is not even in this yr. Just my hunch based on the fact that Sigma needs to do the HSM

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 8:34 PM   #27

Gday Daniel, Yeah, i think the delivery dates i am getting are way off.

I am being lead down the garden parth by these dates. I contacted Sigma Japan direct in December 07. They told me Pentax-70-200f2.8available in Australia by June 2008.

I do not want to buy through Tristate, but to get the price match from the Australian importer, i need a site that ships to Australia. Amazon do not ship the Pentax DA*200mm to Australia for some reason.

But i can get no reply from Tristate confirming they do ship to Australia. The site says yes. But what they want for international orders, front and back copies of CC and licence. Mate they can rip you off blind with that information.

But until i can get a reply confirming international shipment from them, or find another site that ships to Australia, C.R.Kennedy the Aussie importer will not stick to his word of price matching. It is a saving of about $600.00AU. to get the price match.

As far as the 70-200mmf2.8 for pentax, i will believe it when i have it.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:52 PM   #28

b&hphotovideo.com will ship world wide!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 2:52 AM   #29

Gday Bigdawg.

Thanks for that. I may need it my next lens. I emailed 17th-photo from Amazon yesterday, as they had a ship international sign. Despite what Amazon states on the site. Da*200 page. That it only ships to USA. 17th- photo said they to would ship to Australia. Just order on Amazon.

But i am happy to say my new Pentax DA*200mmf2.8 arrived today.

After alittle nudging, and explaining, they sent a invoice price, asked if i wish to proceed, to which i said yes and paid, how they told me to on that invoice. They saw the light, and sent it yesterday express air.

Ended up getting it for $1190.00AU including GST. instead of the advertised price of $1749.00AU. + GST..A saving of $750.00AU. So i have a Motocross to shoot this weeked, we'll see how it stacks up against Bigma.

Still want that F2.8-70-200mm . Hope they get ahurryup with that girl. Then again, the Tamron is listed on DCW Australiaas May release. Or i just might go a K20. :shock:I need more money......

Still can not figure out why most camera equipment, {just about anything accualy} is so high in Australia compaired to USA. Even paying shipping and tax from the states, i can still save on average on around a $1500.00AU product,get it for about a grand from the USA. Australian prices are out of control, for everything. :evil:
Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:00 AM   #30

Another review for the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 Everything looks great

http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses...lens-test.html

I may just sell the 50-135 and get this
vizjerei is offline   Reply With Quote