Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 17, 2008, 5:14 PM   #1

Just ordered Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 SP from Amazon.com $700. Hope it measures up to its reputation , paper wise, of its counterparts in Canon/Nikon mount.

Takes 2-4 weeks.

When I consider the last ebay price of a used Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 tops $1,000. I think it is quite safe. I am using a Canadian visa as well to have it shipped to my daugher in DC. Hope there is no issue.

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2008, 5:49 PM   #2

daneil,
i'm ready to see some 1st hand use of this one and your opinion.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:59 PM   #3

robar wrote:
Quote:
daneil,
i'm ready to see some 1st hand use of this one and your opinion.

roy
Gee I remember at the time when K10D or DA*50-135mm were about to hit the market, Amazon and Adorama had them preordered. And there was long wait

Hope it turns out ok then. They never delivered punctually?

Daniel
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:08 PM   #4

Congrats Daniel...Hope it does well for you!

Dawg @ WRK
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:02 PM   #5

Make that two of them ordered from Amazon, Daniel. Part of me wants to hope that they are slow to leave the shelves soI can get mine faster, but the part that wants manufacturers to know that manufacturing quality lenses in Pentax mount is good business wants them to be flooded with orders so Tamron, Sigma, etc. will be convinced to produce quality glass for the Pentax.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:24 AM   #6

I know what's going to happen - you are going to post awesome pictures with it, I'm going to get lens envy (this is a useful focal length for me) and I'll break down and buy one at my local camera store (assuming that this is the regular price for the lens). In 6 months it will drop $50 in price when supply meets up with demand, and I'll start regretting not waiting. On the other hand, I will have had 6 months of pictures to look back on. And I did all right with the DA*50-135 - my local store had a pre-order price that was lower than theannounced retail price(I paid when I ordered, before it came in). As soon as they came in the price was raised and it took a while for the retail price to come back down to the pre-order price I paid. I wasn't unhappy with that at all.

But I don't really need this lens AT ALL! I have the 50-135 and love it. I have a 300 and love it. I have a bulging camera bag, and can't quite carry everything I want to right now. I don't need another large, heavy lens. I can't afford another lens - I'd be risking divorce. Oh dear - this is going to be SO hard!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2008, 5:11 AM   #7

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Make that two of them ordered from Amazon, Daniel.¬* Part of me wants to hope that they are slow to leave the shelves so¬*I can get mine faster, but the part that wants manufacturers to know that manufacturing quality lenses in Pentax mount is good business wants them to be flooded with orders so Tamron, Sigma, etc. will be convinced to produce quality glass for the Pentax.

Paul
Paul,

Very odd idea but it may be the right approach. The Sigma apo version has ceased production for some time and its used version is sold $200 on top of the new price of $900. That is ridiculous when you consider this is a very important FL range for most photographers. Forget about the Pentax FA* version which is almost like hen's teeth

Daniel
Old Jan 25, 2008, 9:28 PM   #8

According to Tamron -- at least as of a week ago, if you believe http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/18290-tamron-70-200-f-2-8-a-5.html -- this lens hasn't actually been released yet and Tamron has not promised any release date. Apparently this is a case of retailers allowing pre-orders before Tamron announces a release date.

That said, I sure do hope it is available in 2-4 weeks, since I'm saving up for one myself

... The newly announced DA* 200 2.8 looks nice too; I haven't found a reference to the price of that one yet, though.

Hans
hozn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 6:51 PM   #9

hozn wrote:
Quote:
That said, I sure do hope it is available in 2-4 weeks, since I'm saving up for one myself

Hans
Good news

http://www.tamron.co.jp/en/news/release_2008/0128.html

I would say it (70-200mm) will deliver in May for N Am.

The SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II (Model A16) will deliver in April. I would believe the former is in big demand as there is no equivalent at all in Pentax mount

Daniel
Old Feb 14, 2008, 4:32 PM   #10

hozn wrote:
Quote:
... The newly announced DA* 200 2.8 looks nice too; I haven't found a reference to the price of that one yet, though.

Hans
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...Merch_SO:SI:IT

matsuiyastore is a reputable store . So it is $1,300 plus tax+ del. If B&H , or better still Henrys of Toronto, has that , it will be tempting as I have not had my Tamron 70-200mm yet. Ough another 4-6 weeks

Lately all the higher price lens like F* or FA*300mm or 200mm have stabilized a bit.

Daniel