Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:30 PM   #1

Opinions please of alternatives to the DA18-55mm:

What I can afford is the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC (the older non-macro). Is this worth the cost over the DA18-55mm. I've read that the newer macro version is better, but it's beyond my budget.

Or Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC Macro SLD?

Macro is not a priority for me. Sharpness wide open is what I want to improve on over the kit lens.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2008, 2:47 AM   #2
TC3

Wait a while...Tamron have anounced they will be releasing their excellent 17-50 f2.8 in Pentax mount. It seems to have better reviews than the Sigma 18-50 2.8 and will probably cost the same. Hang on a few more months and save a bit more ....u will not regret it as that lens is awesome and i have not replaced my kit lens as i have been waiting for the Tamron for a good while.

I did try 2 copies of the Sigma 17-70 but was not impressed with it at the wide angle at the wide open apertures though there are many who have and like the lens. For my needs decent performance at 2.8 is a must but i was not prepared to spend on the DA* lens as it is to pricey for me and has features i dont need.

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 6:57 AM   #3

I'mso pleased to have chosenthe Sigma 17-70which provide me a very useful 70mm as with any other focal lengthStraight from the camera jpegs at '0' in camera sharpeningneed nopost process at all : )You should only check any possible decentering issue which is easy to detect as a slight softness on the right handside of the image. I encountered this defect and Sigmareplaced the lens with a brand new one rapidly!

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 8:03 AM   #4

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
Straight from the camera jpegs at '0' in camera sharpeningneed nopost process at all : )
I guess it depends on which Pentax you're using - I doubt if I could get away with that using my *istDS.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:46 AM   #5
TDN

For the price the kit lens costs together with the camera, it's a giveaway.

It's really a pretty decent lens, much better than the Nikon kit lens, which I tried a few days ago.

I would save my money and just start out with the kit lens. You can always buy more lenses later...

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 11:59 AM   #6

IntrepidWalker wrote:
Quote:
bahadir wrote:
Quote:
Straight from the camera jpegs at '0' in camera sharpeningneed nopost process at all : )
I guess it depends on which Pentax you're using - I doubt if I could get away with that using my *istDS.
Ihave the K10D whose jpegs were found soft by some reviews, as you may all remember ; ) Btw, for the time being, I also have a lightweight Nikon D40x as back up with the 18-55 kit lens, butoften miss the 70mm end of the Sigma when Itake it with me either to hiking or a party!!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 1:12 PM   #7

a200user wrote:
Quote:
Opinions please of alternatives to the DA18-55mm:

What I can afford is the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC (the olde?r non-macro).* Is this worth the cost over the DA18-55mm.* I've read that the newer macro version is better, but it's* beyond my budget.

Or Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC Macro SLD

Macro is not a priority for me.* Sharpness wide open is what I want to improve on over the kit lens.
Another alternative that can do F2.8 is Sigma 24-60mmF2.8.
See if is sharp enough wide open at F2.8 or F3.2

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...836036#p836036

But its wide end is not as wide as the kit lens. For me there is no issue as I have another prime at 16mm

Daniel , Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 5:30 PM   #8

Thanks all for you input. I should have mentioned that I already have the K100D and DA18-55 kit lens. Also have the DA50-200, Tamron 70-300 Di, and a Pentax A 50mm f2.0. I'm not finding much use for the A-50mm f2.

If Ibuy a replacement for the kit (like the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 I would sell the kit lens.

If Ibuy a 17-70mm I might sell both the kit and the DA50-200 as I would have the range of 17mm to 300mm covered with a new 17-70 and the Tamron 70-300.

I like the sounds of that Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, so I think I'll wait like TC3 suggested, thanks again.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote