Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:22 PM   #11
TDN

I partly agree and partly disagree with you JohnG.

At short focal lengths for general use I've never felt the need for SR either. But when shooting macro photos, I can't count the amount of pictures I screwed up because I'm too lazy to use a tripod With SR you don't need one.

Also for long telephoto shots it may come in very handy. Not to stop the motion of a BIF, but for a bird sitting on a branch or so...

It's true though that people sometimes rely on it too much, and then seem surprised that their subject isn't sharp because it moved

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:56 PM   #12

Tom,

I agree - I can see some macro shots benefiting. But, again, I think people mis-use it. Here's the thing about tripods that any nature shooter will tell you. The benefit isn't just a steady camera. It's that it forces you to slow down and plan. In the end you get better shots because you slowed down.

On the wildlife front - I definitely find is beneficial but that's at 300mm and beyond. And for the true enthusiasts who are using 500mm and 600mm f4 type lenses the lenses themselves are heavy. IS does nothing to help with that. So they use tripods to suport the weight. Now IS is of minimal benefit.

And, for example, all the pro sports shooters at a football game with their 400mm 2.8 lenses? They're using a monopod with the IS turned off At that weight the monopod provides stability and anti-shake / IS can fight you when you have eratic movement you're trying to follow.

So yes,there are some very specific types of shots where IS helps out - no question. But not as many as people think.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 1:14 PM   #13

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Tom,

And, for example, all the pro sports shooters at a football game with their 400mm 2.8 lenses?* They're using a monopod with the IS turned off * At that weight the monopod provides stability and anti-shake / IS can fight you when you have eratic movement you're trying to follow.*
Hi John,
In the K100D manual there's a specific instruction to turn off the SR when using a tripod, it doesn't enlarge on why this should be so, but I've tried it both ways, and it does seem better off. I guess I'm lazy too, it's not often I use the tripod. ... Jack.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 1:32 PM   #14
TDN

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Tom,

I agree - I can see some macro shots benefiting. But, again, I think people mis-use it. Here's the thing about tripods that any nature shooter will tell you. The benefit isn't just a steady camera. It's that it forces you to slow down and plan. In the end you get better shots because you slowed down.

That is a very nice philosophy, that is probably true, and is forgotten a lot these days.
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 1:37 PM   #15

the 18-55 IS from Canon is completely new. On italian forums I lurk is considered a very sharp lens, just slow as every kit lens. I don't say it's better than the pentax one, but another league from the old one.

And at 200$ for the new 18-55, it seems pentax is not going easy on prices.
In this moment the real bargain of in body SR is for lenses like Tamron and Sigma, that we get with SR, and the others no, and we are not charged more for that.

Think of lenses like the tokina 12-24, which is not made for pentax, while the pentax versione is 200$ more and basically the same lens.

I'm still very happy of having SR anyway I'm one of those few who benefit of it even at short focal length.

Lando is offline   Reply With Quote