Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:26 PM   #1

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=26163447

We all know that Pentax kit lens has IS for ages. Picture like that (except for the model) is taken for granted by us. And Canon is selling that at $200. And all Canonites are grateful. Oh man.
As far as I am concerned, anything shorter than 200mm, Pentax excels big time

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2008, 6:01 AM   #2

i agree daniel
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 8:23 AM   #3

One of the lens I'll be keeping for sure...Still got some nice photos with my Kitter!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 1:26 PM   #4

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=26163447

We all know that Pentax kit lens has IS for ages. Picture like that (except for the model) is taken for granted by us. And Canon is selling that at $200. And all Canonites are grateful. Oh man.
As far as I am concerned, anything shorter than 200mm, Pentax excels big time

Daniel, Toronto
Over here the Pentax kit lens sells for £179 which is around $350. This makes the Canon one seem cheap.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 2:39 PM   #5
TDN

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:

Over here the Pentax kit lens sells for £179 which is around $350. This makes the Canon one seem cheap.

Dal
huh??? even over here it's only 99 euros...that's about 140 USD
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 7:58 AM   #6

TDN wrote:
Quote:
Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:

Dal
huh??? even over here it's only 99 euros...that's about 140 USD
Example from one supplier

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/?/ph...html#1855f3556

Looks like even Europe is cheaper than the UK!!!!

Dal

PS Obviously a bad example as this shop

http://www.parkcameras.com/ProductsL...7-8f2d6c33bc56

is selling them for £29

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:14 AM   #7

you have to give to Canon that at least they redid the lens completely, now it's also sharp. Buying alone it's not convenient, but for a new kit I'm sure it will be ok.
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 5:39 PM   #8

Lando wrote:
Quote:
you have to give to Canon that at least they redid the lens completely,
That likely is not a new lens. They basically add in an ssm motor and IS which until now can only be found in their prof series (more $). Both Canon and Nikon would never have sold consumer grade zooms (plus VR/IS) without pressure from Pentax and Sony.

We have our kit lens with IS or SR for sometime at around just 1/2 of what Canon is charging.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 7:58 AM   #9
TDN

Actually, the new 18-55mm II is going to be 199$ aswell :roll:

It'll have higher resolution though! To be combined with the 14MP K20D.

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:23 AM   #10

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Both Canon and Nikon would never have sold consumer grade zooms (plus VR/IS) without pressure from Pentax and Sony.

We have our kit lens with IS or SR for sometime at around just 1/2 of what Canon is charging.

Daniel
Daniel - I agree 100% about competition pushing everyone. The latest K20D and K200 announcements show Pentax is responding to their rivals as well.

But I do have to say that especially at shorter focal lengths IS/SR/VR is completely over rated. And I say that as someone who has 3 IS lenses. I see3 main variety of photos from any system where the poster is touting anti-shake capability:

1. A shot of something completely useless just to show anti-shake is working. I.E. not a photo for the photo's sake but a photo to just prove out anti-shake.

2. A poor photo which has motion blur or camera shake because the photographer relied on anti-shake and the shutter speed was too slow. When you get past the 'cool factor' of the shot being taken at 1/5 a second and just look at the photo - it's a poor photo. A flash, higher ISO, brighter lens or some combination would have all produced a better photo.

3. A really great photo. But this is a rarity where it was a great photo that was great because of anti-shake.

I think there are a small subset of people who truly benefit from anti-shake at smaller focal lengths. But I think the vast majority use it as a crutch and it fails them (i.e. still have motion blur or camera shake) and the rest simply don't use it at all.

So, to me, anti shake is really in the same category of more MP. Yes there are some people that benefit from 20mp cameras. But for 95% of the populace, there are more important things.

When it comes to optics / camera and how they work together I'd rather have R&D money spent on quality/speed - i.e. sharpness, low distortion, low CA, faster AF. Especially in a lens under 100mm. Those attributes affect 90% of your shots. For most people I would suggest anti-shake affects less than 5% of their actual photos (i.e. photos where they really want the photo not just taking a picture of some object to prove it can be done at 1/5).

Please don't think I'm saying this because canon (my system) doesn't have in-body IS. I'm saying it because I truly believe it's over-rated. Much like MPs are over rated.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote