Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:37 AM   #1

Hi all,:?

You have been all been very helpful before so her goes. I just bought this ebay lens.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:IT&ih=024

But what I don't get is this. If it is an auto lens / manual focus, how come I can't use it in all modes? I believe I was only able to take shots in ap-priority and manual. also- is there a way take a shot while still using the focus assist, that the camera (k10d) may be considering out of focus? Example: If I off center a shot and focus on the left side of the frame the camer wont let me snap the shot unless I get the little green indicator saying that the center of the shot is in focus.

Any thoughts?? Ionly took a handful of shots, but the f1.7 is a big step up for natural light.

One last thing... I guess it should be buyer beware but ... that ring on the front of the lens that says sears and auto fell off. Do I just crazy glue it on or what?

thanks for all the help

:?Bob
BobTheNailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:06 AM   #2

BobTheNailer wrote:
Quote:
Hi all,:?

You have been all been very helpful before so her goes. I just bought this ebay lens.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=024

But what I don't get is this. If it is an auto lens / manual focus, how come I can't use it in all modes? I believe I was only able to take shots in ap-priority and manual.* also- is there a way take a shot while still using the focus assist, that the camera (k10d) may be considering out of focus? Example: If I off center a shot and focus on the left side of the frame the camer wont let me snap the shot unless I get the little green indicator saying that the center of the shot is in focus.

Any thoughts?? I*only took a handful of shots, but the f1.7 is a big step up for natural light.*

One last thing... I guess it should be buyer beware but ... that ring on the front of the lens that says sears and auto fell off. Do I just crazy glue it on or what?

thanks for all the help

:?Bob
Hi Bob,
I'm not conversant with the K10D, so I'll leave that to others ... Re. the lens the auto refers to auto stop down to whatever aperture you set when you shoot, but the aperture stays wide open while you focus. Hope this helps. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:06 AM   #3

A pity the picture don't show the aperture ring. Thereare important differences depending on wether thereis an "A" setting on the aperture ring or not.

If there is an "A" setting the ring should always be left in that position. With thatyou control the aperture from the camera body with the thumb wheel and you can use all exposure modes. But you have to set the AF/Manual buttonon the front (just beside the lens mount) to manual to be able to shoot even if the focus isn't confirmed with the beep and light. (p 136 ff in the manual)

My guess though, is that this lens doesn't have an "A" setting. "Auto" in this case refers to the lens being able to stop down automatically from wide open to the chosen aperture when the shutter button is pressed. This was a new feature in the sixties...

If this is the case, the lens only works in fully manual mode. This means that you'll have to set the aperture on the lens with the aperture ring, and then the exposure time from the body. You can use the "green button" or DOF preview to check if exposure is correct before you shoot. (Manual, p 210) You also have to change a setting in the menu, to "allow" under "Using aperture ring" (Check the manual, p 58.) You can leave it there, it doesn't affect the use of newer lenses.

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 1:17 PM   #4
TDN

check here for general info on how to use your lens. (it's an M-lens)

As for your question with the focus confirmation: your camera was probably still in AF. You need to switch it to MF (the confirmation will still work)
Since the camera can only use center metering with manual lenses, it won't detect the in-focus area at the side of the frame. You have to trust your eye in that case

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 1:46 PM   #5

thanks to all.. the lens does not have an"A" on the ring, so I guess I will use it in full M.
Any help on the last thing with the crazy Glue or what not. I just got the lens and even if it is used I would like to keep it looking as good as possible.

thanks
Bob
Old Jan 24, 2008, 1:58 PM   #6

BobTheNailer wrote:
Quote:
thanks to all.. the lens does not have an"A" on the ring, so I guess I will use it in full M.
Any help on the last thing with the crazy Glue or what not. I just got the lens and even if it is used I would like to keep it looking as good as possible.

thanks
Bob
Bob,
That retaining ring on some lenses is sometimes threaded on it's edge, and screws into the filter ring. ...check it out, if it is you can wind it in with an eraser as a friction drive. ... Jack.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 2:49 PM   #7

thanks.

I don't see threads on it but I'll check again when I get home.

Anyone know how to tell who made this lens for Vivitar??
Old Jan 24, 2008, 2:49 PM   #8

sorry -- double post
Old Jan 25, 2008, 8:47 AM   #9

As Kjell mentioned, that lens is Auto only in the fact that it stays wide open while you focus and then stops down to what ever aperture you have it set for during exposure.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:10 AM   #10

If it was a Vivitar brand lens and not a Sears rebadged Vivitar I probably could. Looks similar to a Cosina brand leens but that is just a guess. Here you can find about half way down the page a list of the Manufacturers of Vivitatr lenses and the serial numers used for each manufacturer..Might help you!

http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote