Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:30 PM   #1

I bought this lens on Ebay I have put it through the tests that matter to me, and I believe it is going to satisfy my urge for a 300mm lens. It has a macro feature, but that does not seem to me to be very useful nor easy to use.

This is a heavy lens. I have used it on a mini tripod as well as a regular tripod. The results seem to me to be outstanding. It has the Adaptall II base, but the proper adapter came with it so I can use it on my K10D.

Someone on this forum proclaimed this lens as being worth having. I kept watching for one, and finaly found it. Thanks, whoever you were. I paid less than $100 for it, excluding S & H costs.

If one of you Pentaxians has, or has had, one of these, would you please explain to me the method of using the macro feature? I must be doing it wrong, for I see no signifigant difference between what I am doing as macro and the lens without kicking in the macro feature.

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2008, 4:53 AM   #2
TDN

Hi engineer, glad you found one

I have the same lens, and the "macro" term is mostly just marketing really. It's not a macro lens, it's a telezoom lens. The lenses from those days were just designated "macro" because they had a relatively close focusing distance compared to older zooms. Vivitar started this trend with their series 1 zooms, and the competition followed

There's no special mode to go into, just the push-pull focusing ring.

Try it at 300mm, you'll be surprised how sharp it is wide open

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:33 AM   #3

Tom, Thanks so much for the explanation. It seems that the marketing game sometimes gets ahead of the engineering, a common problem out there.

I got a really premium specimen with this lens. You are right about the sharp result of the lens. I caught a male cardinal at my feeder. The distance from camera to bird was about eight feet, nearly the inside limit for focusing, and the wind was blowing with 25 MPH gusts. Even so, the individual strands of the .little peaked feathers were distinctly visible. Can you fall in love with a Lens? (Little hearts, breezing away....)

You might wonder about how I got the bird so close to me. I have a glass-topped table just outside my home-office window. I put bird feed in a row on the table so that any bird feeding on it is about the distance of the row from my camera. When my lights are off I can move around quite a lot without disturbing the birds. I get juncos, bluejays, cardinals, chickadees, sparrows, doves, and finches. Also a lot of gray squirrels. They are usually moving a lot, as they are all very apprehensive. But I shoot a lot of pictures, and, about once in twenty, I get a keeper. I couldn't afford this activity in film. Thank God for digital.

After I bought this lens I bought another for under $41 delivered. The seller (on Ebay) was sparse with the description, so I don't know the condition or the base type. A gamble, I know.

Thanks for the reply.

Old Engineer
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:16 PM   #4

OE,
you got yourself a really nice lens. i've been halfway looking for one myself..

roy
the mount is what counts also. are your mounts PK or P/PKA ??
the PKA sells for usually over $100. i just sold one for 85 delivered and he was tickled pink about the price..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 4:10 PM   #5

Robar, The one in hand is an Adaptall II mount, and the Adaptall to K device came with it. It fits my K10D.

The one not yet delivered came from Ebay, is for a Sears camera, and the lens has Sears name on it. A picture shows a mount like my SMC Pentax lenses. What are the distinguishing characteristics visually for the two K types you mentioned, the PK vs P/PKA?

Old Engineer
Old Jan 26, 2008, 9:45 PM   #6

one has PK on it and the other has PKA on it. the Pk model has no electrical contacts and is used as a K or M lens.. the PKA mount has 3 electrical contacts on it which gives you auto exposure but no AF..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote