Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 29, 2008, 9:16 PM   #1

Hi All,

The new Pentax lens Roadmap is out, and it mentions an SDM Rear Converter -- you can tell where my head's at. . .

Also the DA 60-250, along with a DA 17-70 f4 for maybe summer 2008.

A DA* 30 SDM and DA 15 Ltd look new

Here's a link to the PDF:

http://www.digital.pentax.co.jp/en/lens/roadmap.pdf

Here's a small copy -- not very clear -- it had to be reduced from a huge file:

Scott

Boy I messed this up the first time. . .
Attached Images

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:14 PM   #2

Rear converter for SDM?! I missed that when I looked at the new road map earlier today. That's answering one of my wishes (though I was thinking of using a TC more for macro stuff than birds). This is something I could get really excited about!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:27 PM   #3

I thought my LBA was cured but it is creeping back again. The new SDM 30mm looks very promissing even though there are no infos on it yet. I just hope that it is f/1.4 like the Sigma 30mm EX DC f/1.4 that I was going to buy. I also hope the 15mm Limited will be a pancake lens. I don't really need anything that wide, but I would be a nice lens to collect.

I am no intrested in the DA* 55mm f/1.4 because I already have the FA 50mm f/1.4. Maybe later in a few years when it gets cheaper but not in a rush for that lens.

I also noticed the SDM rear coverter. I wonder what that is? Is it to convert non SDM lens to work with future SDM camera only?
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:44 PM   #4

It's worth noting that all mention of 645D lenses have vanished from the roadmap. Could this be the final nail in the 645D's coffin?

And it also looks like SDM won't be exclusive to DA* lenses.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 2:25 AM   #5

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
I thought my LBA was cured but it is creeping back again. The new SDM 30mm looks very promissing even though there are no infos on it yet. I just hope that it is f/1.4 like the Sigma 30mm EX DC f/1.4 that I was going to buy. I also hope the 15mm Limited will be a pancake lens. I don't really need anything that wide, but I would be a nice lens to collect.

I am no intrested in the DA* 55mm f/1.4 because I already have the FA 50mm f/1.4. Maybe later in a few years when it gets cheaper but not in a rush for that lens.

I also noticed the SDM rear coverter. I wonder what that is? Is it to convert non SDM lens to work with future SDM camera only?

Hi Superakuma,

The 30 is going to be a * series lens, so you have to assume fast -- f1.4 to f 1.8 is my guess, but I've been wrong before. I think that they want the * series lenses to be exceptional though, and gain the status of C's L-series, so there's good reason to believe that it'll be a good one.

The way that they were thinking about crop factor equivalents with the 16-50 and 50-135, the 55 (also a * series lens) would be @ 84mm with the crop factor, so in a way, would be the new A* or FA* 85 portrait lens.

The Rear Converters have traditionally been teleconverters, so the best guess is that this one is a TC also. The only AF TC that Pentax ever made was the F 1.7x AFA. This SDM TC would probably be a 1.4x ( and maybe a 2x -- but I'd personally prefer a 1.7x) that transmits power to an SDM lens, and is tuned to the focusing system. I would also assume that they would make a provision to convert the FL in the TC so that SR works as designed.

The reason I mentioned "tuned to the focusing system" is that the Tamron F 1.4x AF TC that I have has the PZ contacts, and although the SDM motor functions in my DA* 50-135, it doesn't AF correctly. It will initially hunt a lot (even in bright sunlight), then not lock focus (blinking focus indicator). On the second half press, it will lock quickly -- so it seems to have to start really close to the actual in-focus distance to work satisfactorily with SDM.

My hope is that they will look at the prices that the F 1.7x AFA is getting as a used item, and decide that this is a product that they would like to exploit, especially since they are using the compatibility of legacy MF lenses with DSLR bodies as a marketing point.

If they can make SDM AFAs in 1.4x and 1.7x (meaning mounting an SDM motor in the TC to do the focusing quickly and quietly, with minimal play in the gear train), they can further exploit the backwards compatibility feature, making all the MF lenses out there AF. I'd also like to see a 1.2x (if technically possible) to minimize the magnification and speed loss, but still give you AF in any MF lens.

If they could price these reasonably, it might become a significant reason to choose Pentax in the first place, and to stay with Pentax when seeking an upgrade, as No other mfg would be offering this. The results that I have gotten with the 1.7x AFA have become a very major consideration whenever I see a new C, N, or O body that looks attractive, and so far the value added by the AFA has won.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 4:01 AM   #6

I'm really tempted by the 17-70, SDM and f4 it's very good as walkaround lens.
Now I have to choose between this and the tamron 17-50, I'll have to understand how useful is that 2.8 aperture.
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 9:14 AM   #7

After I posted in this thread last night, I got to wondering if the rear converter would just bean SDM focusing motor without any magnification factor at all. I'd still buy it - it would be great if my A*300 were suddenly AF, along with a couple of other lenses. But would they do that - wouldn't that cut into sales of some of the lovely sounding new lenses, such as the DA*300? I know I wouldn't be interested in it at all if I could geta rear converter to make my existing 300 lens AF. What beautiful thoughts!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:38 AM   #8

I think the main reason they made the AF Converter F ateleconverter at the same time, is simple technical necessity. If you put something between the lens and the body, you have to do something about the optics as well. Otherwise it becomes an extension tube without the possibility to focusto infinity. So if we have to do "something optical", why don't make it a TC to add a feature?

Wether I'm right or wrong, I love the result!

Actually, I just thought the other day that Pentax will have to add some new items to their lenses like TCs, extension tubes etc. Maybe an 18 mm shift lens? Looks like Pentax chiefs and headmen are thinking in the same direction.:idea:

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 4:00 PM   #9

New thought on the SDM TC matter.

We all just suppose it's a converter giving manual lenses SDM AF capability, with some teleconverting added on top of that.

Wouldn't it be more logical if it's simply a tele converter for SDM lenses, with all the necessary electrical contacts? A 1.4 converter for the DA* 300 mm? For the older lenses we already have the Rear Converter A (4 varieties, manual focus) and the AF Converter 1.7. But they won't make a DA*-lens buyer happy.

Of course it would be nice with a Pentax quality converter for the F and FA lenses, but from a commercial point of view that would be like throwing the goods in the water after the boat has left the harbour.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 5:23 PM   #10

OH NO MORE LENSES, I am starting to have withdrawl symptoms now.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote