Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 3, 2008, 11:34 PM   #11

... and here is another...
Attached Images

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 12:38 AM   #12

I have this picture taken with FA 80-320 @ 320mm. I'm a newbie in this photography world, but I think some how you can judge the lens a bitthrough this picture though. And BTW, please give mecomments and critiquesplease.
Attached Images

Ken T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 9:22 AM   #13

GrahamM wrote:
Quote:
I want to get a nice big lense like that also Dawg, but gotta break the wifey in slowly :lol:.

My main purpose for this lense will be wildlife and ships out in the lake ( I live at the mouth of the St. Clair river ).

I am fairly new to this stuff, so what does CA mean?
CA means Chromatic Aberation. The green, blue or purple outlines caused by the light entering the lens at an angle and the lens acting like a prism and breaking the light up into different colors and outlining things with those before mentioned fringe colors. An example here from my Vivitar 300mm lens.
:?

You'll see the purple and green outlining the limbs here. I didn't mean for you to buy the Bigma but the photos were to show what the APO lens was capable of...The same APO technology is in the 70-300mm APO lens!

Dawg
Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 9:28 AM   #14

Quote:
I have no experience with the Sigma or the Pentax, but I do have the Tamron 70-300, and it does have a serious problem with CA, particularly when shooting up into trees for birds. I might just have a bad copy of it, but I've been disappointed on this score.

Hi Paul,

I've noticed the CA problem with my Tamron 70 - 300mmalso, so think it must just be a featiure of that lens.I've just had to brush up on PS techniqes to remove it, I'm disappointed too.

GrahamM ... CA is Chromatic aberation which is coloured fringing seen on branches etc. when shot against a bright background, caused by the lens having different refractive index for varying light wavelengths. Hope this helps. ... Jack

Edit ... Apologies I see Ed has already answered your question. I missed that. ... J

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 9:35 AM   #15

jachol wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have no experience with the Sigma or the Pentax, but I do have the Tamron 70-300, and it does have a serious problem with CA, particularly when shooting up into trees for birds. I might just have a bad copy of it, but I've been disappointed on this score.

Hi Paul,

I've noticed the CA problem with my Tamron 70 - 300mmalso, so think it must just be a featiure of that lens.I've just had to brush up on PS techniqes to remove it, I'm disappointed too.

GrahamM ... CA is Chromatic aberation which is coloured fringing seen on branches etc. when shot against a bright background, caused by the lens having different refractive index for varying light wavelengths. Hope this helps. ... Jack

Edit ... Apologies I see Ed has already answered your question. I missed that. ... J
No apologies needed Jack...Your explanation is probably better than mine!

Dawg
Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:26 AM   #16

There you go Ed !, ... Photoshop to the rescue, hope you don't mind me getting rid of the fringing. ... Jack.
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 1:50 PM   #17

Don't mind at all..Thank you Jack...For those that might want to know what did you do...In detail now!

Dawg
Old Mar 4, 2008, 5:05 PM   #18

Thanks for the help everyone.
GrahamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 6:14 PM   #19

You are welcome Graham...Have you decided?

Dawg
Old Mar 4, 2008, 7:56 PM   #20

I would say that I am leaning towards the Sigma. At $300.00 though I would'nt call it a budget lens though as posted above.
GrahamM is offline   Reply With Quote