Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 4, 2008, 10:26 PM   #21

GrahamM wrote:
Quote:
I would say that I am leaning towards the Sigma. At $300.00 though I would'nt call it a budget lens though as posted above.
Are you refering to the 70-300mm APO? Shop around, there are reputable places like B&H and Adorama that carry this lens at around $220. You may be able to do even better with a bit of hunting.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2008, 1:25 AM   #22

While I waschecking priceof other lenses and saw this for the Sigma APO, $213.68 with free shipping from Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-70-300mm...12&sr=1-11
Ken T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2008, 9:31 AM   #23

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Don't mind at all..Thank you Jack...For those that might want to know what did you do...In detail now!

Dawg
OK Ed no problem,

I know this works in PSCS2 & PSCS3, not sure if it applies to earlier versions or if it can be done in PS Elements, basically you use the colour replacement tool (If that is
available in your version of PS or Elements then this should work for you). Open your affected pic, select the color replacement tool (Right click the brush tool in the toolbar, and select from the drop down menu). Apply the settings as shown below ie. a large soft brush about 170 pixels ... mode to color ... sample once ... discontiguous ... Tolerance = 20% ... antialias. Hold down the Alt key and sample a neutral grey from somewhere in your pic you should now be able to brush over the fringing and remove it without affecting the underlying subject matter. Where the colouring affects the branches as was the case in your pic ED. ... resize your brush to about the size of branch affected, resample the darker colour of the branch, let your brush strokes cover the affected parts of the branches only. That's it you should be done. ... Jack.
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2008, 10:34 AM   #24

I know there are better prices out there, but by the time I get done with shipping, import duties, and taxes, the would be little to no advantage to buying online. I have checked out other Canadian online dealers, but they don't seem to have the lens listed.
GrahamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2008, 11:30 AM   #25

jachol wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Don't mind at all..Thank you Jack...For those that might want to know what did you do...In detail now!

Dawg
OK Ed no problem,

I know this works in PSCS2 & PSCS3, not sure if it applies to earlier versions or if it can be done in PS Elements, basically you use the colour replacement tool (If that is
available in your version of PS or Elements then this should work for you). Open your affected pic, select the color replacement tool (Right click the brush tool in the toolbar, and select from the drop down menu). Apply the settings as shown below ie. a large soft brush about 170 pixels ... mode to color ... sample once ... discontiguous ... Tolerance = 20% ... antialias. Hold down the Alt key and sample a neutral grey from somewhere in your pic you should now be able to brush over the fringing and remove it without affecting the underlying subject matter. Where the colouring affects the branches as was the case in your pic ED. ... resize your brush to about the size of branch affected, resample the darker colour of the branch, let your brush strokes cover the affected parts of the branches only. That's it you should be done. ... Jack.
Thanks Jack...Graham...Sorry for taking over your thread there for a moment...Hope you soon get the one you want...

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2008, 1:00 PM   #26
Super Moderator

GrahamM wrote:
Quote:
I would say that I am leaning towards the Sigma. At $300.00 though I would'nt call it a budget lens though as posted above.
Trust me, even $300 is budget so at $220 it is really budget!! I only have one lens in my bag that cost less than that so watch out for the even increasing amount of your salary which goes onto new lenses (LBA bites back).

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2008, 8:00 PM   #27

GrahamM wrote:
Quote:
Compared to it's older sigma brothers:

100-300 $1000

120-300 $2700

Yes it's definitely in the 'budget' category. It's a nice lens and a lot of bang for the buck. But like most consumer grade lenses it's fairly soft from 200-300mm (again everything is relative - it's soft as compared to say the 100-300).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote