Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 1, 2008, 4:25 PM   #11

Daniel
does that mean they are cheaper?

Phil
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 5:27 PM   #12

I would be surprised if they were cheaper. Heck, all they have to do is look at ebay and know that Pentaxians will be grateful they made them in our mount at all.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 6:44 PM   #13

philneast wrote:
Quote:
Daniel
does that mean they are cheaper?
Phil
We will know. Assuming the Tamron & Sigma 70-200mmF2.8 are of the same quality optically, Sigma should not deviate that much from Tamron price tag of $700

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
I would be surprised if they were cheaper.* Heck, all they have to do is look at ebay and know that Pentaxians will be grateful they made them in our mount at all.

Tim
The situation now is ridiculous as there is a huge pent-up demand of 70-200mm - a key FL range. Once when both Tamron & Sigma are out , the supply situation should stabilise. Sigma has mysteriously ceased production of its coveted 70-200mm for at least a yr now.

Even now I can see the 300mm prime has settled down a bit after the announcement of DA*300mm is out. It is all a supply and demand issue

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 5:05 PM   #14

Hi All,

Considering that IQ comparisons between the Sigma and Tamron 70-200/2.8s is an unknown, I'd say that the weight difference (the Tamron is 2.5 lbs as opposed to the Sigma's 3 lbs) would be a major consideration, at least for me.

If the Tamron is anywhere near as good optically, and there's no reason to believe that it won't be -- Sigma would be foolish to price their lens significantly higher. The HSM motor would be an advantage, but a relatively small one compared to the weight difference, and the final word isn't in yet AFAIK for an in-lens motor for the Tamron.

I think that if I had choose between the two, knowing what I know now, I'd go with the Tamron for the weight savings, even if it turns out to be not quite as sharp. A half a pound is a LOT when shooting candids at an event or carrying all day at the zoo.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 7:28 AM   #15

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi All,

Considering that IQ comparisons between the Sigma and Tamron 70-200/2.8s is an unknown, I'd say that the weight difference (the Tamron is 2.5 lbs as opposed to the Sigma's 3 lbs) would be a major consideration, at least for me.

If the Tamron is anywhere near as good optically, and there's no reason to believe that it won't be -- Sigma would be foolish to price their lens significantly higher. The HSM motor would be an advantage, but a relatively small one compared to the weight difference, and the final word isn't in yet AFAIK for an in-lens motor for the Tamron.

I think that if I had choose between the two, knowing what I know now, I'd go with the Tamron for the weight savings, even if it turns out to be not quite as sharp. A half a pound is a LOT when shooting candids at an event or carrying all day at the zoo.

Scott

Scott

You have brought a very valid point about a prof 70-200mmF2.8 - a must-have for all prof event photographers. That is something that I am worrying. Too Canon/Nikon like?
We Pentaxians are different in that we usually carry lightweight primes of just the right focal length (like the 50mm 85mm, 77mm & 135mm. Let Nikon/Canon dominate in gear size . Anyway we have gear to match, if not to out-resolve, in pict quality.

In another thread, my lowly DL with a smallish FA28mm certainly matched a huge Nikon zoom (70-200mm), D200 (3 times the camera body cost ) and a prof flash+bracket. The weight in my set up just maybe 1/3 of theirs. That makes us different , if not better, system.

I have ordered the Tamron as my daughter has got a 100Super and she may go for the zoom approach

Daniel
Old Feb 3, 2008, 12:29 PM   #16

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Scott,

something to keep in mind - everyone has different needs/wants. There are a number of sports shooters in the pentax system who have been waiting for a 70-200. Focus speed is a SIGNIFICANT factor to those individuals - or anyone who uses continuous focus. That's why there is no one-size-fits-all solution.

Fast focusing lenses are one of those things if you've never used one you dont know what you're missing. But once you have used one you'll want the feature in every lens.

Daniel,

I would make the same argument to your post - changing prime lenses in the middle of a game/match or wedding ceremony is not very practical. That's why the 70-200 2.8 is such a coveted lens in ANY system - especially one with very good focusing characteristics.

Remember, IQ is only good if your subject is in focus. So anyone doing any type of action photography I would not dismiss the value of HSM: Sigma has a proven track record with their HSM system. Tamron really has none. The new lens from them may be a winner but it may not. For some, focus speed may not matter but when it does it's absolutely worth extra weight and money.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 3:32 PM   #17

Hi John,

You certainly have a point with the AF speed, but I think you misinterpreted my post. I was writing from my perspective only, and after experiencing SDM with the DA*50-135, there's little, if any, difference in AF speed between SDM and screw drive -- at least as far as the K10 is concerned. Sigma HSM's speed in a K mount is still an unknown quantity, so my comment was made with the possibly erroneous assumption that it would be about the same as Pentax SDM. If HSM is significantly faster than SDM, AND Tamron's lens does not have an internal motor and/or focuses significantly slower than the Sigma, then this is a point I'll readily concede. . . but that's a lot of ifs. . .

For me, for a lens of this FL range and speed, ultimate pixel peeping IQ and AF speed are actually lower priorities to max aperture, FL range, and handling due to size and weight. That's why I said that I'd probably choose the Tamron in this case.

I actually have a Tokina 80-200 f2.8 AT-X Pro AFII that I chose over the Sigma (that was still easily available at the time) because it was a couple of ounces lighter (and considerably less expensive), even though the Tok was tested as not being as sharp. The DA*50-135 has since replaced the Tok as my candids lens because of it's even better size and weight, but the Tok still shines as a great zoo lens. I'm currently weighing whether I want to upgrade to the new Tamron if it offers significantly better IQ, but I'll wait to see how it performs. The Tok still works. . .

There are unsubstantiated (as yet) reports of faster AF performance in the K20D. It's been said that:

1)Pentax has tweaked the AF algorithms in SAFOX VIII providing more speed while using the same hardware;

2)Pentax has switched to a faster SDM motor in the DA*200 & DA*300, so some of the reports from PMA might be reacting to this, rather than an upgrade in AF speed in the body; and

3)Pentax has made the final AF feedback checks optional via a menu choice, so that a user can opt for speed as a priority over potentially increased focus accuracy.

I guess we'll see pretty soon. . .

I'm primarily a bird shooter, and like the sports and action guys, I'd like more AF speed, but I'm also a Pentax shooter, and have long ago made ultimate AF speed a back burner issue.:-)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 9:23 PM   #18

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
3)Pentax has made the final AF feedback checks optional via a menu choice, so that a user can opt for speed as a priority over potentially increased focus accuracy.
A bit off topic. I believe what you said refers to the new feature of K20D. Ok. It is somewhat like Micro$oft windows allows users to select, in the system control, better performance or better appearance. It is actually a shame that we have to select either speed or focus accuracy both of which are important parameters.

Also I notice that even with the present 3 fps, the max 3 fps can only be obtained without AF and metering. Otherwise it is just 2 fps.

Quote:
I guess we'll see pretty soon. . .

I'm primarily a bird shooter, and like the sports and action guys, I'd like more AF speed, but I'm also a Pentax shooter, and have long ago made ultimate AF speed a back burner issue.:-)

Scott
:?::?:

Daniel
Old Feb 7, 2008, 11:06 AM   #19

Yes!A 120 - 400! I really want a 400 for airshows. 70 to 400 would bemore to my likingbut I will take 120 to 400 if it has the clarity.

The Bigma has always seemed like overkill and 300 has always been just a little short. I hope this one is better than the existing 135 - 400. I cannot find anyone who was really happy with it so I am very hesitant to get a copy.
sgarthee is offline   Reply With Quote